none
Legal virtual Windows RRS feed

• Question

• In my MCITP course we're using widows server (2003\2008) VMs.
    Is it legal? Can I use the roll-back function? Can I use cracked OSs just for training? Are there any other options?

And btw, now that Win XP has been depricated, can it be used freely?

Sunday, December 16, 2012 8:02 PM

Answers

• Yes it is legal to use these VM's during your training course if they have been supplied by the training centre.

Yes you can use the roll-back function.

No you cannot use cracked OS's for training.  You will need to use OS's licenced for training purposes.

Now you cannot use Wind XP freely just because it's deprecated.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

• Proposed as answer by Eliadro Thursday, December 20, 2012 4:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by Horizon_NetEditor Thursday, December 27, 2012 10:33 PM
    Sunday, December 16, 2012 10:10 PM
  • How do I know if the VM's which my training center supply me are legal?

Is it legal to use VM's with unactivated products of Microsoft as Win7,Win server 2003 etc. after grace period?

Can I download VM's licensed for training purposes even if my school is not recognized by Microsoft and where? 

What do you mean by "supply me"?  Are they giving you virtual machines to sun at home?  if so, they could be in breach of software licencing unless they are authorised to do so.

No it's not legal to run VM's with inactivated products after the grace period and you will find that most the products won't run anyway.

No you cannot download VM's licenced for training purposes unless you are licenced to do so. 

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 9:48 PM

All replies

• Yes it is legal to use these VM's during your training course if they have been supplied by the training centre.

Yes you can use the roll-back function.

No you cannot use cracked OS's for training.  You will need to use OS's licenced for training purposes.

Now you cannot use Wind XP freely just because it's deprecated.

Jeff Wharton

Sunday, December 16, 2012 10:10 PM

Is it legal to use VM's with unactivated products of Microsoft as Win7,Win server 2003 etc. after grace period?

Can I download VM's licensed for training purposes even if my school is not recognized by Microsoft and where? 

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 6:37 PM

What do you mean by "supply me"?  Are they giving you virtual machines to sun at home?  if so, they could be in breach of software licencing unless they are authorised to do so.

No it's not legal to run VM's with inactivated products after the grace period and you will find that most the products won't run anyway.

No you cannot download VM's licenced for training purposes unless you are licenced to do so. 

Jeff Wharton

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 9:48 PM