locked
Unable to remotely access my home server through the router RRS feed

  • Question

  • Whenever I try to access the server from outside my home network over the internet (let say at work from my personal laptop) I go to https://<name>.homeserver.com the following web page and Certificate Error message pops up;

    There is a problem with this website's security certificate.

    The security certificate presented by this website was not issued by a trusted certificate authority.

    The security certificate presented by this website was issued for a different website's address.

    Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server.

    We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this website.

    Click here to close this webpage.

    Continue to this website (not recommended).

    More information

    If you arrived at this page by clicking a link, check the website address in the address bar to be sure that it is the address you were expecting.

    When going to a website with an address such as https://example.com, try adding the 'www' to the address, https://www.example.com.

    If you choose to ignore this error and continue, do not enter private information into the website.

    For more information, see "Certificate Errors" in Internet Explorer Help.

     

    When I choose to continue I end up with the login window of my Linksys Router, when I complete the login I will end up on my Router’s setup page.

    I tried several settings, per no avail.

    All support/suggestions are welcome.

    ·         Linksys Router Model no: WRT54G2 with the latest Firm Ware version installed

    ·         WHS giving green icon in the notification area

    ·         All latest WHS updates are installed

    ·         All connections are working fine within the Home network, all 3 laptops can connect

    ·         When I setup Remote Access in the WHS Console the ROUTER set up gives green check marks to all except the last one (exclamation mark); verifying that your router accepts remote access connections

    ·         The ROUTER STATUS: configured but not verified

    ·         When I setup Remote Access in the WHS Console the DOMAIN NAME set up gives green check marks to all except the last one (red cross); verifying remote access is accessible from the Internet

    ·         The DOMAIN NAME STATUS: working

    ·         Router settings: DHCP is on automatic – is set as Gateway – Firewall is set to minimum (no blocking) – Port Forwarding is set for ports 80, 443 and 1425 all TCP all to Server IP – UpnP is enabled.

    Saturday, February 7, 2009 1:54 PM

Answers

  • FMZ said:

    Whenever I try to access the server from outside my home network over the internet (let say at work from my personal laptop) I go to https://<name>.homeserver.com the following web page and Certificate Error message pops up;

    There is a problem with this website's security certificate.

    The security certificate presented by this website was not issued by a trusted certificate authority.

    The security certificate presented by this website was issued for a different website's address.

    Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server.

    We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this website.

    Click here to close this webpage.

    Continue to this website (not recommended).

    More information

    If you arrived at this page by clicking a link, check the website address in the address bar to be sure that it is the address you were expecting.

    When going to a website with an address such as https://example.com, try adding the 'www' to the address, https://www.example.com.

    If you choose to ignore this error and continue, do not enter private information into the website.

    For more information, see "Certificate Errors" in Internet Explorer Help.

     

    When I choose to continue I end up with the login window of my Linksys Router, when I complete the login I will end up on my Router’s setup page.

    I tried several settings, per no avail.

    All support/suggestions are welcome.

    ·         Linksys Router Model no: WRT54G2 with the latest Firm Ware version installed

    ·         WHS giving green icon in the notification area

    ·         All latest WHS updates are installed

    ·         All connections are working fine within the Home network, all 3 laptops can connect

    ·         When I setup Remote Access in the WHS Console the ROUTER set up gives green check marks to all except the last one (exclamation mark); verifying that your router accepts remote access connections

    ·         The ROUTER STATUS: configured but not verified

    ·         When I setup Remote Access in the WHS Console the DOMAIN NAME set up gives green check marks to all except the last one (red cross); verifying remote access is accessible from the Internet

    ·         The DOMAIN NAME STATUS: working

    ·         Router settings: DHCP is on automatic – is set as Gateway – Firewall is set to minimum (no blocking) – Port Forwarding is set for ports 80, 443 and 1425 all TCP all to Server IP – UpnP is enabled.



    It sounds to me like your Remote Router Access is enabled.  Try disabling that.
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 2:51 PM
    Moderator

All replies

  • FMZ said:

    Whenever I try to access the server from outside my home network over the internet (let say at work from my personal laptop) I go to https://<name>.homeserver.com the following web page and Certificate Error message pops up;

    There is a problem with this website's security certificate.

    The security certificate presented by this website was not issued by a trusted certificate authority.

    The security certificate presented by this website was issued for a different website's address.

    Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server.

    We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this website.

    Click here to close this webpage.

    Continue to this website (not recommended).

    More information

    If you arrived at this page by clicking a link, check the website address in the address bar to be sure that it is the address you were expecting.

    When going to a website with an address such as https://example.com, try adding the 'www' to the address, https://www.example.com.

    If you choose to ignore this error and continue, do not enter private information into the website.

    For more information, see "Certificate Errors" in Internet Explorer Help.

     

    When I choose to continue I end up with the login window of my Linksys Router, when I complete the login I will end up on my Router’s setup page.

    I tried several settings, per no avail.

    All support/suggestions are welcome.

    ·         Linksys Router Model no: WRT54G2 with the latest Firm Ware version installed

    ·         WHS giving green icon in the notification area

    ·         All latest WHS updates are installed

    ·         All connections are working fine within the Home network, all 3 laptops can connect

    ·         When I setup Remote Access in the WHS Console the ROUTER set up gives green check marks to all except the last one (exclamation mark); verifying that your router accepts remote access connections

    ·         The ROUTER STATUS: configured but not verified

    ·         When I setup Remote Access in the WHS Console the DOMAIN NAME set up gives green check marks to all except the last one (red cross); verifying remote access is accessible from the Internet

    ·         The DOMAIN NAME STATUS: working

    ·         Router settings: DHCP is on automatic – is set as Gateway – Firewall is set to minimum (no blocking) – Port Forwarding is set for ports 80, 443 and 1425 all TCP all to Server IP – UpnP is enabled.



    It sounds to me like your Remote Router Access is enabled.  Try disabling that.
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 2:51 PM
    Moderator
  • Kariya,

    I have been on 2 support chat sessions with Linksys Agents for about an hour each trying to figure this one out. Your pinointed the and provided me with the solution right away!

    Great Job! Thank you.

    A followup question, how can I have both, remote login WHS and Linksys Router? 
    • Marked as answer by FMZ Saturday, February 7, 2009 3:05 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by FMZ Saturday, February 7, 2009 3:05 PM
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 3:03 PM
  • FMZ said:

    Kariya,

    I have been on 2 support chat sessions with Linksys Agents for about an hour each trying to figure this one out.

    One of the reasons why I virtually never call Support lines. ;)

    FMZ said: Your pinointed the and provided me with the solution right away!

    Great Job! Thank you.

    A followup question, how can I have both, remote login WHS and Linksys Router? 

    To be honest, you shouldn't need/want remote access to your router.  That's just another security risk in your LAN.  Once you set it up, my suggestion would be to leave it alone.

    However, if you still want to set it up, you would have to use a different port for one or the other.  My suggestion would be to change the port number for the router (much easier to work with).
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 3:13 PM
    Moderator