Microsoft Windows Home Server Console error RRS feed

• Question

• Good Day

I have recently installed  the Windows Home Server on an machine in my office, i tested it and i worked fine the console lauched, and i was able to remote Desktop onto the Server, and Lauch the Remote Console from my PC.

I then moved the machine into our server room and now i cannot access the console or remote desktop onto the machine, but i am able to see the information on the server.

If I lauch the Remote Console from my PC I get the Following Error "This computer cannot nonnect to your home server. Check your Network Connection and Make sure your home server is powered on. If you home server has recently restarted, try again in a few minutes."

If i launch the Console from the server i get the following error "HomeServerConsole.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. "

Would i need to reinstall the server or is there a way in which can resolve this issue?

Any Assistance would be greatly appreciated

Regards
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 7:37 AM

Answers

• Thanks Olaf

Thanks for all your help but i have now lost my network adapters

I have decided to reinstall the Windows Home Server and start from scratch, this is the best solution for the current problem

Best regards from South Africa

Kyle
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 9:45 AM

All replies

• Hello,
    is the network connection in the server room still the same as it was on it's first place (same subnet, same DHCP server)?
    If you check the event log of your server, can you find any error messages and warnings?
    What is the output of
    ipconfig /all
    on the server and one client? Did the server preserve the IP address it had before or got it assigned a different one?
    Did you already apply all Windows Home Server upgrades, especially Power Pack 1? (Which version is shown in the console would be the question, but hard to answer, if the console crashes.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 8:55 AM
  •  Thanks for you Quick Responce Olaf

Yes the Ip Config is the Same as it was in my office,  I set the Server up with an Fixed Ip Address when i set it up.

I do find an error mesasage in the Event Log, The Router Manager could not start.

I go into the Systems and find that the network connections is not started, i try to start it and it says it cannot because of its dependencies, i go to the Dependencies Tab and it says the RPC Server is Unavaliable

I find that the problem is compounding itself, i have restarted the Server and find that the only Error in the log is the Router Manager

Thanks
    Kyle
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 9:17 AM
  • Hi Kyle,
    there is no service named Router Manager in my WHS or normal Servers.
    The only similar named is Routing and Remote Access, but it's default setting is disabled.

Did you add any server roles, which are not part of the basic Windows Home Server functionality? Does the server have more than one network interface?
    Both can cause WHS functions and communications to fail.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 9:37 AM
  • Thanks Olaf

Thanks for all your help but i have now lost my network adapters

I have decided to reinstall the Windows Home Server and start from scratch, this is the best solution for the current problem

Best regards from South Africa

Kyle
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 9:45 AM