Confused About Motherboards - Windows 2003 Server Compatibility? RRS feed

• Question

• I've spent a good bit of the day researching motherboards that would be applicable for WHS.  I am operating under the assumption that I have to have Windows 2003 chipset drivers for Windows Home Server to operate.  Is this correct?  Then, is this true for everything else that I might install on the motherboard, such as a video card, ethernet drivers, etc. etc. etc.??

Thanks for your help.

-Matt

Thursday, February 14, 2008 11:40 PM

Answers

• You are best off if all of your hardware is listed in the Windows Server Catalog; motherboards are listed under "Servers." That indicates that some level of compatibility and reliability testing was done.

That said, many have been quite successful using hardware that doesn't have Windows Server 2003 drivers, but does have Windows XP drivers.
    Friday, February 15, 2008 2:31 AM

All replies

• You are best off if all of your hardware is listed in the Windows Server Catalog; motherboards are listed under "Servers." That indicates that some level of compatibility and reliability testing was done.

That said, many have been quite successful using hardware that doesn't have Windows Server 2003 drivers, but does have Windows XP drivers.
    Friday, February 15, 2008 2:31 AM
  • I did see that link in another post; you probably provided it.  Smile  I wish there was a comprehensive list somewhere of hardware that folks have gotten homebrew computers to run on.

Hey, maybe that's a good idea for a thread??

Friday, February 15, 2008 4:13 AM
  •  Matt Greer wrote:
    Hey, maybe that's a good idea for a thread??
    You're thinking of this thread (which nobody has posted to for a few days). Be careful, though, as some of the frankenservers described in that thread probably didn't prove to be ultra-reliable.
    Friday, February 15, 2008 5:07 AM