Sum for formula fields do not show up in view RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I have some custom enterprise fields of type Cost in Project Server. For those fields a sum appears in the Project Center View in PWA if the View is grouped by a certain column. Furthermore I have some calculated fields (a simple formula that adds the values of 2 other cost fields). For formula fields a sum is not shown in the Project Center View. It seems like, that getting a sum in the view works only for numeric fields without formulas.

Is someone else having this problem? Is there some kind or workaround?

Regards,

Ronny

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 6:40 AM

Answers

• Yes, I experienced the same issue.  As far as I can tell, free number entry fields are the only ones that sum up.  Can't tell if it's a bug or a feature though.

You could work around with a macro.  I ended up taking a different route....which sounds complicated, but isn't really....

1) Create an External Content Type in SharePoint Designer that pulls the fields you need in the view.

2) Create an External List within SharePoint to pull the ECT data into a list format.

You may now manipulate those list views much like in SharePoint.  This gives you a lot more flexibility than the Project Center view.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Twitter: @alavinsky
    • Proposed as answer by Andrew Lavinsky Wednesday, March 16, 2011 11:09 AM
    • Marked as answer by ronny_kl Monday, March 21, 2011 11:54 AM
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 11:06 AM

All replies

• Hi Ronny_kl,

Please make sure while creating formula custom field and if you want to roll up the sum for formula field, check following option under Calculation for task and group summary rows .

Rollup -> Sum

Or

UseFormula

Whatever suits your need.

Sachin Vashishth MCTS
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 7:01 AM
  • Yes, I experienced the same issue.  As far as I can tell, free number entry fields are the only ones that sum up.  Can't tell if it's a bug or a feature though.

You could work around with a macro.  I ended up taking a different route....which sounds complicated, but isn't really....

1) Create an External Content Type in SharePoint Designer that pulls the fields you need in the view.

2) Create an External List within SharePoint to pull the ECT data into a list format.

You may now manipulate those list views much like in SharePoint.  This gives you a lot more flexibility than the Project Center view.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Twitter: @alavinsky
    • Proposed as answer by Andrew Lavinsky Wednesday, March 16, 2011 11:09 AM
    • Marked as answer by ronny_kl Monday, March 21, 2011 11:54 AM
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 11:06 AM
  • I would definetly call it a bug. I can use calculated fields in other formulas, so why not in the view?

Regards,

Ronny

Monday, March 21, 2011 11:54 AM