Genuine Advantage Notification after Hardware Fix RRS feed

• Question

• This summer I purchased a copy of Windows XP Professional from a vendor on Amazon.com to replace the Windows XP Home I had been using since I built my computer way back in 2003.  I plan on either building a new computer or giving up and buying one in the near future, so I didn't think it was a bad investment.

I installed this summer and everything has worked fine.  However, about a month ago one of my CD's exploded in the CD drive, so I took the drive out to clean up the mess.  I also took the opportunity to clean the dust out of fans and heatsinks.  I put everything back together again and booted up, only to be greeted with the Genuine Advantage notification that my version of Windows may be corrupt.  Since I bought from a vendor online, I did a quick inspection of the packaging and CD for obvious signs of counterfeiting, but nothing really stood out.  I also found it odd that the notification only began appearing after I did the first hardware adjustment since installation.

I ran the GA Diagnostic tool and only the Validation status stood out to me (not only because it was in red text).  I highlighted the affected line in bold below.

If it will help, I can post hardware details, but this seems to be a software issue.  I don't think I purchased counterfeit goods, but how do I convince the GA software of that?  I can also provide a picture of the COA upon request.

Thanks in advance,

-Nick

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    Windows Validation Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked PID
    Validation Code: 11
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-2FJCT-PRT78-MXQCJ
    Windows Product Key Hash: B1rnposZHqC/le43zs5gQfnK5m8=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-111-6979997-22887
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {9C79D8DA-0374-4E3B-AFF8-16CD1C84618B}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    LegitcheckControl ActiveX: Registered, 1.9.42.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Vista WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

Windows XP Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 11
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.9.40.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: 2.0.48.0
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007 - 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Registered, 2.0.48.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-230-1_E2AD56EA-765-d003_E2AD56EA-766-0_E2AD56EA-134-80004005

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{9C79D8DA-0374-4E3B-AFF8-16CD1C84618B}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0027.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-MXQCJ</PKey><PID>76487-111-6979997-22887</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1177238915-823518204-1417001333</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>NVIDIA</Manufacturer><Model>AWRDACPI</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="2"/><Date>20030514000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>A97E320F0184AE5F</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="OGAAddin.dll" Version="2.0.48.0"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90120000-0030-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007</Name><Ver>12</Ver><Val>572215DFDF93586</Val><Hash>e4e1RiteFwld5wdmJKWu/sBC4IM=</Hash><Pid>89388-707-1580626-65642</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="16" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="18" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="19" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="1A" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="1B" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="44" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="A1" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="BA" Version="12" Result="100"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

Windows Activation Technologies-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: no
    Marker string from BIOS: N/A
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 12:00 AM

Answers

•  

Well,  this is an interesting one. 

My tool is showing strange information as to the Product Name

a) The Product Details section shows the Product Name as a Korean Windows XP Pro b) The Activation Summary section shows the key was activated as an English Windows XP Pro  (didn't know that was even possible).

The tool also shows the key to be an MSDN key that has been Activation Blocked but give no information as to the reason (but I assume it's because it is an abused MSDN key).

MSDN keys are licensed to only be used by the owner of the MSDN (Microsoft Developer Network) subscription that the key originated from. MSDN keys can not be sold separately from the subscription.

NOTE: I look at allot of Product Keys in my Key Information Tool and the information for this one just doesn't look right for some reason. I recommend doing an Activation by Phone (so you can get the phone number of your local Activation Call Center) and talk to an Activation Rep, ask for confirmation that this is, in fact, an MSDN key and if it is not, then ask to have the Key's Activation Block escalated for removal. If that happens, then your issue would be resolved.

However, If the key is an MSDN key, then, unfortunately, you were scammed.  You should try contacting Amazon and see if you can get your money back (I'm not sure what their policies are, but it's worth a try).

Ultimately you would still need to bet a Genuine copy of Windows to replace this on.  Just know that XP is no longer being produced (hasn't been for some time) and most suppliers no longer carry it.  But since XP is still fairly popular, pirates are taking advantage of it and selling fake XP all over the net.If possible, I would recommend getting Windows 7 from a trusted retailer or if you must have XP, make doubly sure it's from a trusted source.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Friday, January 14, 2011 1:05 AM

All replies

• "Nicolai3985" wrote in message news:7edd6c82-79da-434c-9b01-742a01e421d7...

This summer I purchased a copy of Windows XP Professional from a vendor on Amazon.com to replace the Windows XP Home I had been using since I built my computer way back in 2003.  I plan on either building a new computer or giving up and buying one in the near future, so I didn't think it was a bad investment.

I installed this summer and everything has worked fine.  However, about a month ago one of my CD's exploded in the CD drive, so I took the drive out to clean up the mess.  I also took the opportunity to clean the dust out of fans and heatsinks.  I put everything back together again and booted up, only to be greeted with the Genuine Advantage notification that my version of Windows may be corrupt.  Since I bought from a vendor online, I did a quick inspection of the packaging and CD for obvious signs of counterfeiting, but nothing really stood out.  I also found it odd that the notification only began appearing after I did the first hardware adjustment since installation.

I ran the GA Diagnostic tool and only the Validation status stood out to me (not only because it was in red text).  I highlighted the affected line in bold below.

If it will help, I can post hardware details, but this seems to be a software issue.  I don't think I purchased counterfeit goods, but how do I convince the GA software of that?  I can also provide a picture of the COA upon request.

Thanks in advance,

-Nick

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    Windows Validation Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked PID
    Validation Code: 11
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-2FJCT-PRT78-MXQCJ
    Windows Product Key Hash: B1rnposZHqC/le43zs5gQfnK5m8=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-111-6979997-22887
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro

In a year on these forums, I cannot recall ever seeing a 'Blocked PID' error!
    Looking back, there have been one or two instances, mostly in OEM System Builder or Volume Licenses, where the key had been abused in some way.
    I can find no internet references to the key here - so I have no idea what has gone wrong - hopefully, Darin Smith will be able to give some detail as to the Key, and what has happened
    (<bates breath!>)

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 1:10 AM
  • Thanks for the quick reply, Noel.  This seems to be the story of my life with this computer...lots of "first time I ever saw that one!" problems.  I don't know that I'll like using a computer that works 100% of the time.
    Friday, January 14, 2011 12:23 AM
  •  

Well,  this is an interesting one. 

My tool is showing strange information as to the Product Name

a) The Product Details section shows the Product Name as a Korean Windows XP Pro b) The Activation Summary section shows the key was activated as an English Windows XP Pro  (didn't know that was even possible).

The tool also shows the key to be an MSDN key that has been Activation Blocked but give no information as to the reason (but I assume it's because it is an abused MSDN key).

MSDN keys are licensed to only be used by the owner of the MSDN (Microsoft Developer Network) subscription that the key originated from. MSDN keys can not be sold separately from the subscription.

NOTE: I look at allot of Product Keys in my Key Information Tool and the information for this one just doesn't look right for some reason. I recommend doing an Activation by Phone (so you can get the phone number of your local Activation Call Center) and talk to an Activation Rep, ask for confirmation that this is, in fact, an MSDN key and if it is not, then ask to have the Key's Activation Block escalated for removal. If that happens, then your issue would be resolved.

However, If the key is an MSDN key, then, unfortunately, you were scammed.  You should try contacting Amazon and see if you can get your money back (I'm not sure what their policies are, but it's worth a try).

Ultimately you would still need to bet a Genuine copy of Windows to replace this on.  Just know that XP is no longer being produced (hasn't been for some time) and most suppliers no longer carry it.  But since XP is still fairly popular, pirates are taking advantage of it and selling fake XP all over the net.If possible, I would recommend getting Windows 7 from a trusted retailer or if you must have XP, make doubly sure it's from a trusted source.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Friday, January 14, 2011 1:05 AM