Backup Question RRS feed

• Question

• I've used LiveOneCare to back up files on my hard drive.  My hard drive is rather old and quite small -- only 40 GB, I think -- so I'd like to get a newer, larger hard drive.  Rather than have to manually re-load all of my programs, files, settings, etc., I'm looking for a way to copy the content from the older hard drive onto my newer hard drive.  Is there a way to save an image of my current hard drive using LiveOneCare so that I can load that image onto a newer hard drive?  Or are there some other things that LiveOneCare could do to make the transition easier?

Friday, August 7, 2009 5:11 PM

Answers

• No, OneCare does not do an image based backup. It only backs up data based on your backup plan settings.
    There are many 3rd party programs that are designed to do a full image backup or disk copy for cloning a hard drive. Some drives even come packaged with a program for this.
    An image based backup program that I've used in the past is Acronis True Image. - www.acronis.com
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Friday, August 7, 2009 5:45 PM