E164 dialing and why? RRS feed

• Question

• Why is E164 required for OCS? You can achieve a a outgoing call with out it. Is it an inbound req?
    Thanks
    Friday, January 11, 2008 1:10 AM

All replies

•  By using E.164, it creates uniformity on OCS.  I see that as an inbound req. 

HTH,

Jo

Friday, January 11, 2008 9:51 PM
  • but couldnt you present the number from PSTN to PBX to Gateway or Native Sip to OCS and have that match what ever you have in AD as well?

Saturday, January 12, 2008 1:56 AM
  •  

I guess in theory you could.  That would be a difficult task though to get everyone in an organization to enter in their phone numbers in the same format.  In addition to the numbers in AD, outlook contacts that may not be listed in AD are also normalized.  The location of the normalization rules that are utilized on AD numbers and contacts in Outlook depends on rather or not enterprise voice is utilized.  Its easier to translate the numbers than trying to force all users in an organization to make all numbers associated with their name and their outside contacts in outlook the same.  

I do not believe all gateways present the numbers the same way.  This would be another reason why it will be important to use E.164 format.  Many organizations utilize different gateways at different locations. It will be too difficult to maintain the different formats of the phone numbers.   In the event a organization decides to change the gateway, then AD will need to be modified.  Too much work. 

Jo

Sunday, January 13, 2008 5:46 AM
  • The trend i see with more than 1k of users, it has allready been entered in AD without e164,

What i am looking for is whether e164 required or desired from MS end?

Thanks for the feedback so far,

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 5:25 PM
  • It's common that organizations do not have uniformity in Active Directory phone number format, which is why you can normalize phone numbers using the address book service.  If you take a look in your address book folder you'll find a file called invalid_ad_phone_numbers.txt, which contains the names and numbers of user's phone numbers that the ABS cannot normalize.  Phone numbers that are not normalized cannot be properly routed by OCS.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 10:56 PM