What should I do with referrer spam from Live.com? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I have a completely new website which has recently been submitted to Live.com and added to Live Webmaster Tools. MSNBot has visited my domain root a number of times but has not crawled or indexed any pages yet.

However, I just noticed a hit appearing from 65.55.109.192 apparently originating from a search from MSN. I have blocked this bot's IP address, even though I suspect it originates from Microsoft and is not spoofed.

Please advice me whether this particular IP address is safe to block. I don't want this to affect the way MSN will index my pages, however I can not allow referrer spam to enter my logs either.

Many thanks for your help,

Sebastian.

Friday, January 23, 2009 4:58 PM

Answers

• Hi Sebski,

my apologies for the delay. That IP address is not safe to block as it is from us. I have escalated this issue to my manager on Tuesday and we are waiting on a response from the team. I'll update this thread as soon as I have an update.

Again, my apologies.

Brett
    Program Manager, Live Search Webmaster Tools
    • Marked as answer by Brett Yount Tuesday, February 24, 2009 5:39 PM
    Friday, February 13, 2009 12:06 AM

All replies

• I noticed other new threads have received replies from Live.com already however, perhaps this topic was overlooked or ignored.

Just to clarify, this topic is not meant in any way whatsoever to slander Live.com or play on press I have read regarding this subject.

I would greatly appreciate if anybody from Live.com could spare perhaps 1 minute to answer my query.

Many thanks!
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 11:16 AM
  • Hi Sebski,

my apologies for the delay. That IP address is not safe to block as it is from us. I have escalated this issue to my manager on Tuesday and we are waiting on a response from the team. I'll update this thread as soon as I have an update.

Again, my apologies.

Brett
    Program Manager, Live Search Webmaster Tools
    • Marked as answer by Brett Yount Tuesday, February 24, 2009 5:39 PM
    Friday, February 13, 2009 12:06 AM
  • You should just ban the entire 65.55 range and work on your google ranking until Microsoft starts respecting site owners.

But if you're looking for a more diplomatic solution, try banning anything from 65.55 that identifies itself as IE6, but doesn't send a HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING header (which ie6 does).

If you want to take it a step further, instead of 404ing the offending bot, send a 'decompression bomb' instead of actual content. It'll accelerate disk usage, and hopefully result in wicked high IO levels that slow their system, and prevent microsoft from spamming the internet, as they seem to think they are entitled to do.

There is a nice one online that transfers 300K, then expands (via ungzipping) to 100Mb. Since this bot doesn't support gzip (as evidenced by the lack of an ACCEPT_ENCODING header), there shouldn't be any problem's on their end!
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 4:06 AM