Remote desktop - mouse clicks and desktop are not aligned RRS feed

• Question

• This problem started happening recently, I suspect after a Live Mesh update.

When I access my work computer (Windows XP; 2 monitors) from home (Vista; 1 monitor) using remote desktop, my mouse clicks do not align with what I see on the desktop. Also, the desktop looks like it is set for three monitors, not two. From left to right I can scroll across three monitor spaces: The first monitor "space" is all blank except for the extended XP task bar along the bottom; the second (middle) monitor space shows the Start menu and my desktop icons; and the third space is just like the first - blank except for the extended XP task bar.

I cannot click directly on the Start Menu or any desktop icon (which are in the middle monitor space). Instead, I need to scroll left to the first monitor space, click in the blank area where the Start menu or icon would be, and then scroll back to the middle monitor space to see the result.

The problem occurs with or without running "Show desktop as actual size" (which I always run to avoid the desktop looking squished). My work computer is running UltraMon, but I doubt that's the problem because it's been working fine with remote desktop for months. Something obviously changed recently (an update)?

Any ideas?
    Monday, November 3, 2008 3:54 PM

Answers

• Yup - same here. Check this thread for more information. I've found that you can tell the Live Mesh video driver on the report system to NOT extend the Windows desktop and that gets things back OK, but only for that session. Happens again on the next connection.
    Monday, November 3, 2008 6:21 PM