CRM 3.0 test server RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello,

I've got one production and one test server for CRM 3.0. I now want a copy of the production data on my test server. Is it possible to backup restore the prod databases to my sql test server and then choose configure sql server in the crm deployment manager to choose the new database?

Or do I have to use the redeployment tool and reinstall the test server?

Cheers!

Thursday, September 18, 2008 7:22 AM

Answers

• The easy way didn't work. Had to use the redeployment tool to update the databases of course, but I had to unintall crm first, as the redeployment tool has to be run before crm is installed. Reinstalled crm after that and chose connect to existing databases.

Sunday, September 21, 2008 1:41 PM

All replies

• Provided that all servers are in the same domain I would be tempted to try backing up the prod database and restore it over the test database (i.e. keeping the test database name the same) and not touch CRM. Be warned though, I haven't tried this so it might not work.

If that fails I think you will need to use the redeloymet tool and reinstall the test server.

Thursday, September 18, 2008 11:52 AM
  •  

Thanks, I'll try that and see what happens....

Thursday, September 18, 2008 11:55 AM
  •  

Good. I'd be interested to see if it works.

Thursday, September 18, 2008 1:22 PM
  • The easy way didn't work. Had to use the redeployment tool to update the databases of course, but I had to unintall crm first, as the redeployment tool has to be run before crm is installed. Reinstalled crm after that and chose connect to existing databases.

Sunday, September 21, 2008 1:41 PM