Home server system volume restore with red X RRS feed

• Question

•  

Home server system volume restore with red X

I am trying to restore a laptop that only has a c: drive with the restore CD. Every thing seems to work as far as finding all the drivers (not the case with my other PC’s.) but when selecting the source volume C: I get a red X? The source and destination seem to show identical information.

When selecting which computer I want to restore WHS seems not to know what computer it’s running on. This computer is mostly on the network wirelessly but plugged in to the router for this restore.

Any way to clear the red X? Help!

Tim S.
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 8:13 PM

Answers

• Hi Tim,
    you may get a red x, if you try to restore to a volume, which is smaller as the source volume was (maybe even a few bytes).
    Maybe you can use the disk manager in the recovery environment and delete the old volume and create a new one, which is at least as big as the original source volume was (or a little bit larger).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by timrus Friday, December 12, 2008 1:58 AM
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 11:59 PM
  • Hi Tim,
    this message comes from within Windows?
    In this case you can try the following:
    • Click Start/Run and type msconfig.
    • Click OK.
    • On the services tab click Hide all Microsoft Services and uncheck all others. (this may also disable your virus scanner temporary)
    • On the Startup tab you may deactivate all items in a first run.
    • Click OK and reboot.
    Does the message still appear?
    If not, you can try to figure out now, what is guilty by enabling the services/startup programs step by step (first enable all services, reboot - if no error message, go on with the startup programs).
    Olaf
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 8:21 PM

All replies

• Hi Tim,
    you may get a red x, if you try to restore to a volume, which is smaller as the source volume was (maybe even a few bytes).
    Maybe you can use the disk manager in the recovery environment and delete the old volume and create a new one, which is at least as big as the original source volume was (or a little bit larger).
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by timrus Friday, December 12, 2008 1:58 AM
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 11:59 PM
  •  

I will try that but this is a one portion disk that is exactly the same disk that was there before. The portion selection shows exactly the same size 111.79 MB for both source and destination.  It was a virus that caused the reinstall so maybe.

Update:

Deleting the portion did the trick.

Tim S.
    Friday, December 12, 2008 12:25 AM
  •  

Not that my restore is finished every time I boot the laptop I get an error “Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk.”  ?  I don’t even know where to start on this issue. Any Ideas on how to clear this?

Tim S.
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 7:01 PM
  • Hi Tim,
    this message comes from within Windows?
    In this case you can try the following:
    • Click Start/Run and type msconfig.
    • Click OK.
    • On the services tab click Hide all Microsoft Services and uncheck all others. (this may also disable your virus scanner temporary)
    • On the Startup tab you may deactivate all items in a first run.
    • Click OK and reboot.
    Does the message still appear?
    If not, you can try to figure out now, what is guilty by enabling the services/startup programs step by step (first enable all services, reboot - if no error message, go on with the startup programs).
    Olaf
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 8:21 PM
  •  

Thanks again. You’re two for two.

It was one of the programs in the startup tab. Acer Edata security a program that came with the computer. Now the question is why did restoring my computer break that program? I don’t use it so no lose.

Tim S.
    Sunday, December 14, 2008 5:07 AM
  • Hi Tim,
    there can be a few reasons.
    The program may have existed on the Acer service partition, which is not backed up and therefore not restored.
    The backup snapshot happened in a stage, in which the Acer software just tried to do something, but did not yet complete.
    Drive letters changed in comparision to the original configuration and so on.

Hard to tell without knowing the program and what it does from own practice. 
    Olaf
    Sunday, December 14, 2008 9:47 AM