Microsoft's GenuineCheck.exe reports as out of date, yet is still in use! RRS feed

• General discussion

• I needed WinHlp32 for Windows 7 because my program's help-file was outdated, and, on going to the download page, it says I have to pass a Genuine Windows Validation. It offers me GenuineCheck.exe which then reports that it, itself, is out of date!

I am recommended to get the latest version, and to check that my Computer Clock is accurate!

Searching on Google for the 'latest version', I am pointed to MGADiag.exe by the typical Microsoft so-called 'Expert'.

This gives verbose output in validation of my Windows 7 installation, but offers a 'Validation Code' of '0'!

I put this result on the web-page and, of course, ended up on the 'Error Page' extolling the Advantages of Genuine Windows!

So I ditched Google Chrome and turned to Microsoft Internet Explorer 9 - whizzed thru  an invisible Genuine Check and arrived at the Download Page without a hitch!

Typical MicroSoft - experts in their own field, but what a quagmire it is!!

• Edited by 1nd1g0 Thursday, August 23, 2012 4:25 AM refinement
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 4:21 AM

All replies

• You obviously didn't read any of the MANY threads specific to this issue that have been posted in the past week.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindows7/thread/6e11108f-4633-49b1-9421-cf262d5c821a

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindows7/thread/3502c705-1981-48fb-aa31-5fe375d886a1

are probably going to be of most use to you

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth

Thursday, August 23, 2012 8:45 AM
  • You obviously didn't read any of the MANY threads specific to this issue that have been posted in the past week.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindows7/thread/6e11108f-4633-49b1-9421-cf262d5c821a

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindows7/thread/3502c705-1981-48fb-aa31-5fe375d886a1

are probably going to be of most use to you

None of those threads reflect the problem the OP is having. The file genuinecheck.exe returns an error saying it is expired.  A workaround is not needed, that file must be fixed.

Someone who actually works at Microsoft is going to have to find the person who is responsible for the file that is expired and fix it. The funny thing is this problem has existed for at least a week, and microsoft.com still hosts a defective file as of today.  Apparently no one at Microsoft is reading this forum or they would have taken care of the problem by now.

• Edited by Steevo88 Thursday, September 13, 2012 6:48 PM
    Thursday, September 13, 2012 6:39 PM
  • One needs to use Microsoft Internet Exlplorer  (32-but) for best results with WGA.

Carey Frisch

Thursday, September 13, 2012 7:03 PM
  • One needs to use Microsoft Internet Exlplorer  (32-but) for best results with WGA.

Carey Frisch

Carey, that is just not true at all. 

The genuincheck.exe program is not dependent on any web browser. 

I realize it's possible to work around the problem with activex and IE but that is not the problem being discussed.  The problem is a defective program that is being downloaded daily by 10s or 100s of thousands of people. 

That program needs to be fixed by someone who actually works at Microsoft. Until that happens this will continue.

Thursday, September 13, 2012 7:37 PM
  • See: Contact Microsoft directly and discuss your issue directly with them.

Carey Frisch

Thursday, September 13, 2012 8:27 PM
  • See: Contact Microsoft directly and discuss your issue directly with them.

Carey Frisch

Har.

By phone.  I chatted them last night about this problem. Their solution?  "Call on the phone".  That would be a three hour phone call, to be sure. While they transfer me all over to the antipiracy department, where I would have to carefully explain the problem is not one of piracy, it's one of a defective file they are having people download over and over. Neither is this a WGA problem as you posted, it's just one bad file.  That's it.

I just can't take the time helping them fix a defective file on their web server, for free.  Unless they wanted to hire me as a consultant, that is. 

• Edited by Steevo88 Thursday, September 13, 2012 9:08 PM
    Thursday, September 13, 2012 9:03 PM
  • Have you actually tried any of the solutions? - or are you so wedded to your own ideas that all suggestions are redundant?

Thursday, September 13, 2012 10:03 PM
  • Have you actually tried any of the solutions? - or are you so wedded to your own ideas that all suggestions are redundant?

Noel,

Solution to what?  The problem is a defective file on Microsoft's web server.

That's what the OP wrote about. He already solved the problem with the update he needed by using IE9, as you suggested.  That however does not solve the problem of a defective file on Microsoft's web server.

If you think the question is about something other than that, it's just not. 

We need to solve *this problem*.  Not some other problem.  Forget workarounds, those are a waste of time.

We need to all be on the same page here. 

Thursday, September 13, 2012 10:28 PM
  • The file is not defective - it works perfectly well where it's supposed to.

The problem appears to be that an update either to the site or to the OS has broken the ability of aything other than IE32-bit to run the AcriveX control required for validation to occur the way it should.

The site then offers the download for XP, rather than for the proper OS - and fails as a result.

If you use IE 32-bit the validation proceeds properly.

Thursday, September 13, 2012 10:40 PM
  • The file is not defective - it works perfectly well where it's supposed to.

The problem appears to be that an update either to the site or to the OS has broken the ability of aything other than IE32-bit to run the AcriveX control required for validation to occur the way it should.

The site then offers the download for XP, rather than for the proper OS - and fails as a result.

If you use IE 32-bit the validation proceeds properly.

That's just not true at all. You are being a goofball. I am looking for a file for XP MCE 32 Bit.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/exe-validation.aspx?id=7716

Downloads an executable, genuinecheck.exe that runs without any browser, any number of bits, anything system dependent at all.  No activex control, nothing.

That returns a number you then put in the validation box.  Noel, that you would actually keep harping on the misunderstanding that genuinecheck.exe has anything to do with web browsers, windows versions or anything else indicates you have not read *anything* about the problem. I realize that file may not be applicable to Windows 7.  But we're not talking about Windows 7.

Clearly if there is a defective file that does not work and everyone works around the problem, no one fixes it, the entire system will ultimately fail. 

Microsoft must fix that file.

• Edited by Steevo88 Friday, September 14, 2012 12:21 AM
    Friday, September 14, 2012 12:12 AM
  • This is the first time  in three different thread in three different forums where you've mentioned MCE - and none of those threads has been in an XP forum.

MCE has been unsupported for some time - http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=7024

Friday, September 14, 2012 7:21 AM
  • This is the first time  in three different thread in three different forums where you've mentioned MCE - and none of those threads has been in an XP forum.

MCE has been unsupported for some time - http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=7024

Noel,

Are you trying to change the subject? 

This is a WGA forum, and this component is WGA. 

I hope Microsoft wakes up and fixes the problem which is a defective file on their own web server. 

File name: GenuineCheck.exe
    Priduct Name Microsoft Genuine Advantage
    Product Version: 1.9.0042.0

1.45 MB (1,528,184 bytes)

Friday, September 14, 2012 3:17 PM

Which for the purpose of this discussion is irrelevant. This is not an MCE problem. It's a web server problem.

As a test, just now, I googled update rollup 2 for ehome using IE8.

I found an offer to download that file.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7716

Validation required.

The same problem occurred when I downloaded genuinecheck.exe, it says it's expired.

I realize I could use activex to verify but I don't care to, and microsoft supports alternate method of verification.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/exe-validation.aspx?id=7716

That is what is failing. As I mentioned I think any solution that does not include fixing everything so it functions as designed is a workaround.  I don't generally support workarounds, especially if the workaround results in problems that affect millions of people not being addressed.

Friday, September 14, 2012 7:54 PM
  • ...and when are you going to validate usng the ActiveX control like you should do, and have been advised to do?

Friday, September 14, 2012 8:10 PM
  • ...and when are you going to validate usng the ActiveX control like you should do, and have been advised to do?

Never, and since the other method is officially supported that is just fine.

Friday, September 14, 2012 8:17 PM
  • In that case your problems are of your own making, and no-one can help.

Friday, September 14, 2012 8:32 PM
  • In that case your problems are of your own making, and no-one can help.

Why am I not surprised you are content with workarounds?

That's just ridiculous. 

Friday, September 14, 2012 10:26 PM
  • I never said I was content - merely that this is necessary until MS get the problem sorted, or officially change the rules.

Friday, September 14, 2012 10:38 PM
  • I never said I was content - merely that this is necessary until MS get the problem sorted, or officially change the rules.

Gee Noel, this is the first time you have admitted there is a problem.  
    Saturday, September 15, 2012 8:55 PM
  • That's BS, and you know it.

Saturday, September 15, 2012 9:05 PM
  • Hi:

I am trying to install Windows Media Feature Pack. Before downloading and installing I need to enter a validation code. To get the validation code I need to download and run a Genuine checker program. When I run that program i get an error message saying: It is expired.

I believe my system is genuine and uptodate and that the FILE is wrong. MS please fix it!

PS: Thanks Steve!

/ Johan

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 8:37 PM
  • Hi:

I am trying to install Windows Media Feature Pack. Before downloading and installing I need to enter a validation code. To get the validation code I need to download and run a Genuine checker program. When I run that program i get an error message saying: It is expired.

I believe my system is genuine and uptodate and that the FILE is wrong. MS please fix it!

/ Johan

You're not alone, but MS is not reading this forum.

I wish they would fix it but I have failed completely at getting them to do so.

Maybe you should call them on the phone.  I did that, twice. I got nowhere at all.  They wanted to charge me $99 to solve the problem.  I asked "the problem of a bad file on microsoft's web server?  You want to charge me to fix that? "

Ridiculous.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 8:51 PM
  • Hi:

/ Johan

AS has been said repeatedly in this and other threads You MUST USE INTERNET EXPLORER 32-BIT for all validation-related matters.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 8:59 PM
  • Hi:

/ Johan

AS has been said repeatedly in this and other threads You MUST USE INTERNET EXPLORER 32-BIT for all validation-related matters.

Johan, forget about what Noel said.  He's just wrong.  That genuinecheck.exe program doesn't work in IE, so using IE won't change the problem.  I can't believe someone with as many points as he has can be giving out completely wrong answers over and over. Incredible!

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 9:03 PM
  • Using IE 32-bit, you do NOT NEED the genuinececk.exe - it's all done by ActiveX controls.

Please stop posting such rubbish to the forum.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 9:09 PM
  • Using IE 32-bit, you do NOT NEED the genuinececk.exe - it's all done by ActiveX controls.

Please stop posting such rubbish to the forum.

Noel, stop changing the subject. The thread is about the program genuinecheck.exe, not about some active x control scheme.I don't use IE and I am not going to start because a program on microsoft's server is failed.

That program has failed, needs maintenance, and that has nothing whatsoever to do with the workaround you have proposed repeatedly. 

Stop proposing workarounds.  We want one thing to work.  Not to find a workaround. Noel, go post on another thread where they want workarounds.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 9:30 PM
  • No - the issue is allowing people to validate properly so that they can continue with what they want to do .

Your obsession with the issue of genuinecheck is the irrelevance.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 9:38 PM
  • No - the issue is allowing people to validate properly so that they can continue with what they want to do .

Your obsession with the issue of genuinecheck is the irrelevance.

Noel, as you can imagine, I completely disagree. 

I have an old MCE system connected to my TV and I don't care for an ActiveX solution. But I do need the drivers for my Microsoft RC6 remote control.

Not everyone wants to use IE, wants to use an ActiveX solution.  And guess what?  They don't have to! 

Microsoft has created an optional verification method that is officially supported.  That is what has now failed.

That is what needs to be fixed.  Since it's officially supported hopefully it will be fixed.  Not worked around.

• Edited by Steevo88 Tuesday, September 18, 2012 10:11 PM
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 10:08 PM
  • Things that are officially supported have a habit of becoming officially unsupported - live with it.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 10:43 PM
  • hi there,

i have the exact problem told here .. i want to download a Fix from Microsoft-Site (KB2529073) - a USB-fix - but for downloading it, you need Genuine-Validation. Well, the file, which i get downloaded there (GenuineCheck.exe) says ".. this Version not supported anymore ..", exactly as described above.

I tried to find a place to download the newest version of it, as recommended from Microsoft, but i can't find it anywhere!!

So i landed here, and Noel, it does not work with IE 32-bit ..

.. if it's just an ActiveX-Problem, so how to solve it?

thx, christoph

Thursday, September 20, 2012 3:10 PM
  • You should attempt validation at http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/validate/.  Afterward, you should be able to download your desired file.  (I just tried it and it works fine).

Carey Frisch

Thursday, September 20, 2012 3:49 PM
  • Chrissi

you MUST use Internet Explorer 32-bit for all validation-related matters currently.

Thursday, September 20, 2012 9:05 PM
  • Noel, I am sure you are right about using IE for Windows activation purposes, but many of us are trying to use GenuineCheck.exe to generate a validation code that we can enter in the pre-download dialogues for other Microsoft helper applications and patches.  I have an activated install of Win 7 Pro, but need to install Mobile Device Center 6.1 and it requires us to run GenuineCheck, and then enter the resultant validation code (see here : http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/exe-validation.aspx?id=14).  But executing the file available from this link, when subsequently executed, says it is out of date and the user has to exit.

So we are stuck, until, as Steevo88 points out, MS fixes the date validity of the file or provides a replacement.  Does anyone have a solution to this?  I really want to get my phone cantacts transferred from a Win Mobile 6.1 handset, and have no issue with any workaround that anyone can suggest.

Cheers and TIA.

Friday, September 21, 2012 11:07 AM
  • Have you actually gone to the download page USING IE32-BIT??

I have no problem whatever downoading the Mobile Device Center 6.1 using IE 32-bit in Win7 and do NOT need to go anywhere near the genuinecheck.

Friday, September 21, 2012 11:54 AM
  • Hi Microsoft forum,

I would like to thank Noel for his input. He is indeed correct that IE32-bit version works in that it bypasses the genuine check. You must NOT copy and paste the same link straight into internet explorer, instead visit the download page from IE32-bit and from there it'll correctly install an ACTIVEX version of genuine check. You may then proceed to download the necessary file.

Thanks guys,

Santa'sHelper

Saturday, September 22, 2012 2:04 AM
  • Santa, I don't think anyone ever denied the ActiveX scheme worked, that's not what this forum thread is about.

Noel keeps offering that workaround to everyone.

The non ActiveX solution is what has stopped working. It still doesn't work.  That's what needs to be fixed, because not everyone wants/can use an ActiveX solution.

Also, some people have a 64 bit IE and are maybe still on XP, and the 32 Bit IE is difficult or impossible to install solely to use briefly to work around this problem. Lots and lots of people are unable to do that, whether because of lack of knowledge, fear, or corporate group policy.

If you had a working 64 bit IE would you uninstall it and install a 32 bit version because of Microsoft's failure to maintain their website? 

I think not. It's completely reasonable to ask that the underlying problem be fixed.

Sunday, September 23, 2012 3:54 PM
  • You really do like talking rot.

It is IMMPOSSIBLE to install IE 64-bit without also installing the 32-bit version.

Sunday, September 23, 2012 5:23 PM
  • You really do like talking rot.

It is IMMPOSSIBLE to install IE 64-bit without also installing the 32-bit version.

Noel, you are the one talking smack (as I replace UK slang with US slang)

Try giving the address for the 32 bit version to a lady from the hospital on the phone, one who doesn't know how to browse folders. Just try it! While you are drving!

Har Har.

"Using IE(32 bit) "C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" on 64 bit PCs
    On the same box with no changes to anything and smash bam alacazam it just worked."

No, this is a weak workaround, the kind of weak workaround that a few people are satisfied with.

I am just not satisfied with workarounds like this.

• Edited by Steevo88 Monday, September 24, 2012 3:48 PM
    Monday, September 24, 2012 3:47 PM
  • I trust you're using hands-free?

Since installing IE inserts TWO shortcuts into the All Programs menu in  a 64-bit install- one of which explicitly states 64-bit, and the default which is 32-bit - there is normally no need to use the path/executable. I included it because some people appear to have deleted the shortcut for some reason.

Your rantings are getting increasingly desperate.

Yes, MS need to fix this (if they intend to do so at all), or improve communication (either way) - but until that happens the workaround is all that exists.

Monday, September 24, 2012 4:10 PM
  • MS requires validation to install its own products and it's broken.  CLASSIC! 

why wouldn't MS fix the file.  it's obviously been "expired" for a while and it still is today when i received the wisdom of MS message.

I'm not going to argue Noel.  I'm running XP all i wanted to do was update media player 11.  why should i have to do a workaround?

Monday, September 24, 2012 9:37 PM
  • I've never said that MS don't have some serious bridge-building to do!

Until they do that, though, the ActiveX/IE route to validation is still open to anyone who chooses to use it.

If people choose not to use it, then their situation is entirely of their own making.

Monday, September 24, 2012 9:45 PM
  • I've never said that MS don't have some serious bridge-building to do!

Until they do that, though, the ActiveX/IE route to validation is still open to anyone who chooses to use it.

If people choose not to use it, then their situation is entirely of their own making.

So Noel, since you are so connected to MS as an MS Partner, why haven't you asked them to fix this problem, not the workaround but the problem?

I hope you have better contacts at Microsoft than I do, since I have none. My contact consists of talking on the phone with an offshore rep who had no idea what I was talking about.

FWIW I'd love to see the server stats showing how many times the expired genuinecheck.exe has been downloaded in the last few weeks.  100 million times?  400 million times? A billion times?

All those Microsoft users disappointed that they couldn't download software they needed, how much do you think this will change their opinion of Microsoft?  Most of them would never come here and ask for help, since this is a professional level forum full of partners, consultants, support personnel.

You would really think Microsoft Corporation would not want that failure to happen that many times to their users.

BTW, that genuine software thing bit me before, that's why I try like hell to avoid installing it. 

We had to change the motherboard in an old gateway, it had bad capacitors. Same case, power supply, SCSI interface, HDD, software, COA.  The thing started complaining about piracy on the screen, I called microsoft antipiracy on the phone with the number on the screen, the guy asked me the code, said amazedly "why, that code is clean".  Of course it was, the sticker was on the back of the computer. It was old.

But that WGA thing ruined that computer, and Microsoft couldn't fix it despite their admitting there was no piracy problem here. And an hour and a half on the phone!  Cost my client over $200 for me to do deal with this. 

So you will understand if I don't recommend anyone run that thing.  And I have no idea if the activex solution would cause that problem but I am not nearly rich or reckless enough to risk it.  I can't do things that might go wrong and cause me and clients money.

So now you know.  I only do stuff I don't have problems with. 

To Johnson, forget media player 11, just download VLC. Plays everything. No complaining about codecs.  No problems, no worries, no piracy check.

• Edited by Steevo88 Tuesday, September 25, 2012 5:08 PM
    Tuesday, September 25, 2012 4:55 PM
  • So Noel, since you are so connected to MS as an MS Partner, why haven't you asked them to fix this problem, not the workaround but the problem?

I have - Unfortunately almost all the inside contacts that I used to know have gone to pastures new, and I am reduced to putting things through the forum managers, rather than direct to the OS team.

The reason that your machine complianed about your motherboard change is quite simple - the license was made invalid by the change in motherboard. OEM Licenses are locked to the first motherboard on which they are activated. Unless made under warranty conditions, motherboard changes will ALWAYS cause a non-genuine status with OEM licenses. You were technically using a pirated copy of Windows. Did you inform the MS rep that you had changed the board?

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 5:46 PM
  • So Noel, since you are so connected to MS as an MS Partner, why haven't you asked them to fix this problem, not the workaround but the problem?

I have - Unfortunately almost all the inside contacts that I used to know have gone to pastures new, and I am reduced to putting things through the forum managers, rather than direct to the OS team.

The reason that your machine complianed about your motherboard change is quite simple - the license was made invalid by the change in motherboard. OEM Licenses are locked to the first motherboard on which they are activated. Unless made under warranty conditions, motherboard changes will ALWAYS cause a non-genuine status with OEM licenses. You were technically using a pirated copy of Windows. Did you inform the MS rep that you had changed the board?

Sure, that was the first thing I told him. BTW, the motherboard came out of an identical gateway.  Identical. Different MAC address, which was undoubtedly the problem.  I knew what the problem was, I only called them with the number on the screen to see what they'd do.

Things do fail and they do need to be repaired or replaced.  This is an expected occurrence. It's gonna happen. The guy admitted that and that there was no software piracy here.

No one is expected to buy new software from microsoft because of a motherboard change necessitated by a failure. That's just stupid and probably illegal.

I understand the shortcomings of the WGA scheme were what caught those poor folks.  If the computer is the same and the codes match, MS is just gonna have to suck that up.  A judge would laugh, at least here in the US.

You understand I'd rather not play, especially since this is my own TV box that I need the remote control driver for, and I don't want there to be any chance I have to jump through hoops for free because of a shortcoming of that WGA thing.

I am making some noise here to try to get MS to wake up and fix that genuinecheck.exe file. It's just not too much to ask.

Noel, I wish you'd stop being their apologist.  They are a big company, they don't need a volunteer apologist.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 10:35 PM
  • If you want to make a point, it's no use posting in this forum - in the three years thatI've lived in the WGA forums I can't EVER recall seeing any Softie posting in this one.

You'd have more effect posting in the Answers forums, where there are a large number of MS software engineers posting (all of whom have so far avoided any thread mentioning genuinecheck, so far as I can tell!)

I'm simply trying to enable peope to access the data/programs they want - I am NOT an apologist for MS (I p*ssed them off rather a lot in a previous incarnation, when I kept bitching that apps shouldn't require Admin priviliges, among other things)

You have consistently attempted to muddy the waters, with the effect that any visitor to this thread won't be able to see the wood for the trees.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 11:21 PM
  • Hi,

I completely share the view of Steevo88.

The GenuineCheck.exe file offered for download by the "Genuine Windows Validation" page (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/exe-validation.aspx) simply doesn't work (on a PC with XP that long ago passed successfuly trough the WGA validation process).

Microsoft were legally bound (in Europe) to offer a "Browser Choice" ... and I did not choose IE. Well, any "workaround" (if offered by MS) that forces me to use IE ... must be considered illegal.

When donloading updates from "Microsoft Update" sometimes Microsoft require validation (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/genuine-validation.aspx) and THEY offer an "Alternate Validation Method" which leads us to the above .exe file. Obviously, there is a broken link (step, component) within that "Alternate Validation Method"'s process. That broken item may be the .exe itself, may be the way current system clock is checked, or may be something else.

Either that broken item should be "repaired", or the entire "Alternate Validation Method" shoud be "annuled" (it does NOT work). In both cases it's a work to be done by MS.

Steevo88 and I (and many others) have the right to be heard (if that noise is high enough).

Guner Passage

• Edited by G. Passage Wednesday, September 26, 2012 12:06 AM
    Wednesday, September 26, 2012 12:03 AM
  • Pass'araN

... As I  said to Steevo - youwould be much better to post your (wholly justified) grievance in the Answers forums, where they have a chance of being heard, than posting them here, where there has been no effective MS presence for three years.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 12:30 AM
  • Pass'araN

... As I  said to Steevo - youwould be much better to post your (wholly justified) grievance in the Answers forums, where they have a chance of being heard, than posting them here, where there has been no effective MS presence for three years.

That doesn't seem likely, since you are giving the same answers there.Ridiculous.

Changing the subject.  It has nothing to do with IE, nothing to do with any kind of bits, nothing to do with anything except a expired file being downloaded by struggling microsoft customers thousands of times a day.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_update/how-do-i-get-the-latest-version-of-genuinecheckexe/911bf35e-2aa0-4c51-a359-ad95bf423671

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 5:46 AM