none
WHS Client now cannot see server - I have searched and searched for an answer RRS feed

• Question

• I am running whs on a dell 4600 for over a year with alternately 3 or 4 laptop clients. Aside from an issue from a failing hard drive last year and the problem described herein, it has worked well. 3 of the laptops run windows 7 32bit home premium mine, my wife’s and my son’s). The 4<sup>th</sup> runs win 7 64 bit.   Using a netgear 3700 router. My isp is cablevision/optonline. I have the boost package so my ports can be open for remote access, which still works from my laptop and my office desktop.

Last month I did the whs upgrade which came out in August. My client   laptop then did the whs connector update without problem. My wife’s laptop also has no issues. I use auto backup for all the clients. My son’s computer had not backed up in 25 days and I assumed it was because he never has it on during its back up time. The other night I realized that even though it was on, it was not showing up as on in the whs console. When I got onto his laptop I saw that the whs health icon was red. I also noticed that the server did not show under “network” in win explorer on that laptop, but the other computers did. I also could not see any whs shares when looking through libraries for music, video etc. It shows “//server/music” but says it is empty. I tried to open whs console and got message that there was a whs connector update to  load. I started the process and got the dreaded message that connector could not update at this time and to try again and then call product support.

I then searched this and many other forums. I tried all of the following (as well as other suggested fixes and settings being checked which I cant rememebr all of them) with the noted results:

-          Log on to http://server:55000 to get connector update – got message that ie and firefox could not find the site. When trouble shooted I get message that there is a problem with broadband modem not connected to internet and should unplug and then plug in. did this even though son’s laptop and others all have intenrnet connectivity. No change . also tried 56000 etc.

-            Ran whs toolkit on laptop – got multiple failures (10 or more), all seemingly arising from fact that client has no ability to see the server

-          Turned off windows and mcafee firewalls – no change

-          I tried reinstalling from connector disc and again got message cant update at this time

-          Following suggestions in forums, I erased whs connector files and eventually entire whs folder on laptop and tried to reinstall/log on to 55000 and 56000, all w/o success.

-          I removed the laptop from whs and tried to reinstall. Get the same message that cant install connector at this time. Now have no whs icon or connector files.

-          I can rdp and get onto server homepage in ie and firefox if I use the ip address for the server. Using name “server” does not work.

-          Ping using server name fails but using ip address works.

-          IP and gateway shown on ipconfig –A using ip address. Nothing if use name “server”

Although not an expert, I have enough knowledge to follow all of the above “fixes” as described. The sense I get is that somehow the name of the server (“server”) on my network is not being recognized by son’s computer. I had this problem with daughters win 7 64 bit over the summer and could not resolve before she went back to college. There I assumed problem was fact that after windows 7 reinstall on that laptop, a different user id with a “2” after original name occurred. Now I wonder if it is same issue here.

I am now in limbo with son’s laptop. Trying to reinstall connector fails saying “cant do at this time”, yet whs folder and files within have been deleted.   I am utterly frustrated after spending hours reading online and trying all noted fixes. Most fail or are useless because it seems the laptop just does not see the server, both before and after deletion of connector software and then entire whs folder.

Can anyone help, PLEASE? Thanks in advance.

Thursday, February 24, 2011 1:46 PM

Answers

• Do an "ipconfig /all" on a working client and on the non-working one. Then compare both results.

• Marked as answer by rkorren Thursday, February 24, 2011 11:46 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by rkorren Friday, February 25, 2011 1:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by rkorren Friday, February 25, 2011 1:28 AM
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 3:22 PM
  • I ran ipconfig /all. most info is the same but ip node on working client says hybrid  but the non working client says peer to peer. A quick google search says it should be either hybrid or somrthing else, but not peer so maybe this is the problem . Any thoughts and how to fix. Also, how to keep from happening again? Thanks.

• Marked as answer by rkorren Friday, February 25, 2011 1:15 AM
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 10:15 PM
  •  

LucTH -

Thanks for the advice. I googled how to change registry listing for ip node and just reset it. Since this was a registry change (it seems) and it happened on both of my kids computers, I assume it was malware from music or AIM downloads. In fact i scanned my son's computer the other day and saw some weird registry cleaner - zugo which I now know is malware. Now all is good. Client now sees all on network including whserver. Already rebacking up problem client onto WHS. now can also hopefully fix my daughter's laptop when she comes home from college. Thanks again.

In  case anyone has a similar problem, here is the url and content I used to change the registry:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7732628_change-node-types-regedit.html

Windows uses network node settings to determine how networked computers connect and communicate to a Domain Name Service (DNS) or Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) server. In most cases, the default Windows node settings work for most DNS servers and broadband routers that assign IP addresses. However, if you have computers running different versions of Windows on a single network, you may need to change the default node setting in the Windows Registry Editor before the computers are viewable to each other on the network.

Difficulty: Moderate

Instructions

1. Click "Start," then enter "regedit" in the search box and press the "Enter" key.
    2. Wait for the Windows Registry Editor application to open, then browse to the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters" setting.

3. Double-click the "DhcpNodeType" field in the right side of the Windows Registry Editor window.

4. Change the "Value Data" field number to "1" if the PC connects to a broadband router that dynamically assigns an IP address when connecting to the Internet . Enter "8" in the value field if the computer connects to a network hub and has no direct access to the Internet. Click the "OK" button.

5. Close the Windows Registry Editor. Restart the computer for the new changes to the DHCP settings to take effect.

Read more: How to Change Node Types With Regedit | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_7732628_change-node-types-regedit.html#ixzz1EvgHlWMR

• If there is no "DhcpNodeType" value listed in the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters" section of the registry, click "Edit|New DWORD Value" on the menu bar. Change the name of the new value from "New Value #1" to "DhcpNodeType." Double-click the new value field and enter the appropriate value setting ("1" or "8").
    • Marked as answer by rkorren Friday, February 25, 2011 1:27 AM
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 11:45 PM

All replies

• Do an "ipconfig /all" on a working client and on the non-working one. Then compare both results.

• Marked as answer by rkorren Thursday, February 24, 2011 11:46 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by rkorren Friday, February 25, 2011 1:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by rkorren Friday, February 25, 2011 1:28 AM
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 3:22 PM
  • I ran ipconfig /all. most info is the same but ip node on working client says hybrid  but the non working client says peer to peer. A quick google search says it should be either hybrid or somrthing else, but not peer so maybe this is the problem . Any thoughts and how to fix. Also, how to keep from happening again? Thanks.

• Marked as answer by rkorren Friday, February 25, 2011 1:15 AM
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 10:15 PM
  •  

LucTH -

Thanks for the advice. I googled how to change registry listing for ip node and just reset it. Since this was a registry change (it seems) and it happened on both of my kids computers, I assume it was malware from music or AIM downloads. In fact i scanned my son's computer the other day and saw some weird registry cleaner - zugo which I now know is malware. Now all is good. Client now sees all on network including whserver. Already rebacking up problem client onto WHS. now can also hopefully fix my daughter's laptop when she comes home from college. Thanks again.

In  case anyone has a similar problem, here is the url and content I used to change the registry:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7732628_change-node-types-regedit.html

Windows uses network node settings to determine how networked computers connect and communicate to a Domain Name Service (DNS) or Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) server. In most cases, the default Windows node settings work for most DNS servers and broadband routers that assign IP addresses. However, if you have computers running different versions of Windows on a single network, you may need to change the default node setting in the Windows Registry Editor before the computers are viewable to each other on the network.

Difficulty: Moderate

Instructions

1. Click "Start," then enter "regedit" in the search box and press the "Enter" key.
    2. Wait for the Windows Registry Editor application to open, then browse to the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters" setting.

3. Double-click the "DhcpNodeType" field in the right side of the Windows Registry Editor window.

4. Change the "Value Data" field number to "1" if the PC connects to a broadband router that dynamically assigns an IP address when connecting to the Internet . Enter "8" in the value field if the computer connects to a network hub and has no direct access to the Internet. Click the "OK" button.

5. Close the Windows Registry Editor. Restart the computer for the new changes to the DHCP settings to take effect.

Read more: How to Change Node Types With Regedit | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_7732628_change-node-types-regedit.html#ixzz1EvgHlWMR

• If there is no "DhcpNodeType" value listed in the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters" section of the registry, click "Edit|New DWORD Value" on the menu bar. Change the name of the new value from "New Value #1" to "DhcpNodeType." Double-click the new value field and enter the appropriate value setting ("1" or "8").
    • Marked as answer by rkorren Friday, February 25, 2011 1:27 AM
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 11:45 PM