Windows Media Center Edition 2004 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:

I have purchased a counterfeited copy of Windows Media Center edition 2004 ,now I would like to take advantage of the Windows Genuine program,when I tried to buy the Windows genuine advantage kit online I received the following error:

The Windows Genuine Advantage Kit is not currently available in the region you have selected

Is it because the genuine kit is not available for Media Center? ,I amlocated in Texas and my region is correctly set to United States.

Here's the output of Windows genuine diagnostic tool: WGA Diagnostic Data (1.5.0530.2): -------------------- Genuine Validation Status: Invalid Product Key Windows Product Key: *****-*****-DMHQH-4RVKW-WY6PG Windows Product Key Hash: O5+8eCoh80tKUJE/HEOlWJhwqVM= Windows Product ID: 55034-365-2789583-22071 Windows Product ID Type: 5 Windows License Type: Retail Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.med Download Center code: Retrieving code... ID: 21b56cab-aa65-4b9e-bb0c-389da8b9b14e Is Admin: Yes AutoDial: No Registry: 0x0 WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.530.0. Signature Type: Microsoft. Validation Diagnostic: Scan: Complete Cryptography: Complete Office Status: 109 Office Diagnostics: Proxy settings: N/A User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32) Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled Active scripting: Allowed Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\winlogon.exe Office Details: 21b56cab-aa65-4b9e-bb0c-389da8b9b14e1.5.0530.25.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.med*****-*****-*****-*****-WY6PG55034-365-2789583-220715S-1-5-21-682003330-1214440339-725345543GBT___AWRDACPIAward Software International, Inc.F620041102000000.000000+0004768395F0184205D04090409Central America Standard Time(GMT-06:00) 109

So what can I do now? Is there a way to buy a new license online and  change the installed one?

Thanks in advance for your replies

Friday, June 9, 2006 11:50 AM

Answers

•  Wolfctx wrote:

Hello:

I have purchased a counterfeited copy of Windows Media Center edition 2004 ,now I would like to take advantage of the Windows Genuine program,when I tried to buy the Windows genuine advantage kit online I received the following error:

The Windows Genuine Advantage Kit is not currently available in the region you have selected

So what can I do now? Is there a way to buy a new license online and  change the installed one?

MCE is not currently supported for the Electronic Key update offer and we have no plans at this time to include it. Your feedback will be taken into consideration for future Business decisions for this issue. The messaging around this error is also confusing and we will be looking at changing it in the future so it better represents the actual error you are getting.

Thank you for the feedback

dave

Friday, June 16, 2006 3:58 PM

All replies

• WolfCTX,

I can't explain why your "region" is keeping you from participating in the GWO.

I can tell you that Media Center Edition (MCE) is a product that MS sells only as an OEM product, so it's possible that they assume that you will get all support and other "satisfaction" from the OEM, whether said OEM is a major manufacturer (Sony, Dell, HP, etc) or a small local computer shop.

My guess is that MS does not include MCE in the GWO.  If that is the case, your best source for a genuine copy is a major well-known online retailer or a local systembuilder/OEM you can trust.  As a rule, local systembuilders who are Microsoft Partners get their supplies of XP from authorized distributors, so the chance for getting a bogus copy is pretty slim.  Buy with a credit card to get the consumer protections afforded by your issuing Bank.

This is something you'll not want to get on E-Bay.

Friday, June 9, 2006 4:06 PM
  •  Wolfctx wrote:

Hello:

MCE is not currently supported for the Electronic Key update offer and we have no plans at this time to include it. Your feedback will be taken into consideration for future Business decisions for this issue. The messaging around this error is also confusing and we will be looking at changing it in the future so it better represents the actual error you are getting.

Thank you for the feedback

dave

Friday, June 16, 2006 3:58 PM
  • In order to provide better messaging around the scenario you experienced we would like to gather the following information if you dont mind.

Exactly what you did and what happened when you did that. To include pop-ups you saw, error messages, error codes ie 0x00000000 etc

The more info you can provide the better.

This will help us ensure we are properly addressing the messaging when a customer hits this scenario.

Thank you for your assistance

dave

Friday, June 16, 2006 5:08 PM