none
"Error has been encountere and must close"

Question

• hello,

i get a pop up when launching writer, stating that "an error has been encountered and now close..." 

i noticed that there is no installation log as well.   i had then created one with notepad, but no data is added to the log file.   perhaps, this is a clue.

i've reinstalled a number of times, but to no avail.  as a test, i tried it in safemode w/networking and got the same error.

the laptop is within the system requirements for writer.  all anti virals are disabled. 

i do recall, that an older version of the writer was functional sometime last year.   but can't seem to pin point the dysfunction.

anyone have any ideas?

Friday, February 20, 2009 8:59 PM

Answers

•  

it worked!!!!

writer now initiates...!

thanks.

Sent: Monday, March 02, 2009 4:53 PM
    To: databaseben@hotmail.com
    Subject: RE: Config Files

In that config directory, can you

1)      Rename machine.config to machine.config.old

2)      Make a copy of machine.config.default

3)      Rename the copy from step 2 to machine.config

then try starting Writer again?

• Marked as answer by DatabaseBen Friday, May 8, 2009 9:11 PM
    Monday, March 2, 2009 11:19 PM

All replies

• Friday, February 20, 2009 9:37 PM
  • thanks for responding.

yeah, earlier i found a fix pertaining to removing any entries in the keyword folder.   however, i had none.

if i'm not mistaken, its parent folder is also where the log should be.  but again, nothing there.

one of the postings at the link you provided is similar to my issue - the one from Clovis.

i've attempted a few re-installs today and it was likely the latest release / version.

i guess the clue is that when installing there is no log created.

---------
    hmm? its one of those mind boggling things and i'm sure i'll get tired with shortly.

thanks again :)

Friday, February 20, 2009 10:14 PM
  • The location of the log file is actually not near the keywords folder, though similar. Here's the page with instructions on finding the file:

http://jcheng.wordpress.com/writer-tips/logfile

Let us know if you see your log file. If not, let us know and we'll give you another set of things to try.

Sorry for the inconvenience!
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 1:14 AM
    Owner
  • hello and thanks for replying. 

i doubled checked the location you provided and there was no log created.

out of curiosity, i unstalled sp3 and reverted back to sp2 to see if the writer would work.  but it produced the same error. 

so i uninstalled and reinstalled the writer.  but it produced the same error and still no creation of the log file.   perhaps, this is a clue.

in anycase, it is not much of an inconvenience just more of a curiosity as to where the hurdle lies.
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 5:56 PM
  • The only other thing I can think of is to try reinstalling the .NET Framework. Here's a link to the latest version.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=ab99342f-5d1a-413d-8319-81da479ab0d7&displaylang=en

If that still doesn't work, let us know and we'll figure something else out to try.
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 7:25 PM
    Owner
  • hello and thanks for replying.

i had thought about the .net framework as well.   and yesterday i reinstalled them.

but as you suggested, i reinstalled the one at the link.   unfortunately, it proved futile to resolve the error with writer.

i think the clue for the problem is that though writer is installed, it does not create an install log. 

however, i did notice something interesting yesterday when i used process monitor from sysinternals to examine the process of writers launching and to the time the error pops up.

it seems that the writer creates files in the temp folder, which are hidden then are removed before the error pop ups.  not sure what else is relevent.

other than the above, there is no other log that can be seen to monitor the program's performance.
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 10:25 PM
  • hello,

i was able to capture a hidden file created in the temp directory during a failed initialization.  it is called dwstacktrace.log and
     the data is provided below and may provide a clue.
    ---------------------------------------------
    System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Configuration system failed to initialize ---> System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Unrecognized configuration section startup. (C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Writer\WindowsLiveWriter.exe.Config line 2)
       at System.Configuration.ConfigurationSchemaErrors.ThrowIfErrors(Boolean ignoreLocal)
       at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.ThrowIfParseErrors(ConfigurationSchemaErrors schemaErrors)
       at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.ThrowIfInitErrors()
       at System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationSystem.EnsureInit(String configKey)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationSystem.EnsureInit(String configKey)
       at System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationSystem.PrepareClientConfigSystem(String sectionName)
       at System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationSystem.System.Configuration.Internal.IInternalConfigSystem.GetSection(String sectionName)
       at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.GetSection(String sectionName)
       at System.Configuration.PrivilegedConfigurationManager.GetSection(String sectionName)
       at System.Diagnostics.DiagnosticsConfiguration.GetConfigSection()
       at System.Diagnostics.DiagnosticsConfiguration.Initialize()
       at System.Diagnostics.DiagnosticsConfiguration.get_IndentSize()
       at System.Diagnostics.TraceInternal.InitializeSettings()
       at System.Diagnostics.TraceInternal.get_Listeners()
       at System.Diagnostics.Trace.get_Listeners()
       at WindowsLive.Writer.CoreServices.Diagnostics.ApplicationDiagnostics..ctor(String logFilePath, String logFileFacility)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.CoreServices.ApplicationEnvironment.Initialize(Assembly rootAssembly, String installationDirectory)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.CoreServices.ApplicationEnvironment.Initialize(Assembly rootAssembly)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.CoreServices.ApplicationEnvironment.Initialize()
       at WindowsLiveWriter.ApplicationMain.LaunchFirstInstance(IDisposable splashScreen, String[] args)
    Monday, February 23, 2009 11:58 PM
  • Do you have a file:
    C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Writer\WindowsLiveWriter.exe.Config

Can you post the contents of the file if you have one?
    -Brandon Turner [MSFT]
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 12:17 AM
  • Yes, here is the data:

--------------------------

<configuration>

<startup>

<supportedRuntime version="v2.0.50727"/>

</startup>

<runtime>

<assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">

<probing PrivatePath="Plugins"/>

<dependentAssembly>

<assemblyIdentity

name="WindowsLive.Writer.Api"

publicKeyToken="31BF3856AD364E35" />

<bindingRedirect oldVersion="1.0.0.0"

newVersion="1.1.0.0" />

</dependentAssembly>

</assemblyBinding>

</runtime>

</configuration>

Tuesday, February 24, 2009 3:57 PM
  • Thats exactly what mine looks like.

What if you rename the file to something else and try to start?
    -Brandon Turner [MSFT]
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 5:27 PM
  • If Brandon's suggestion to rename our .config file doesn't work (and I suspect it won't) then put it back the way it was, and take a look at this file:

C:\windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\CONFIG\machine.config

See if there is a <startup> block in there. There isn't supposed to be (though there IS supposed to be in WindowsLiveWriter.exe.config), and when I put one in my machine.config file I get the same error when Writer tries to start.
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 5:55 PM
    Owner
  • DatabaseBen said:

ok, thanks for both of your suggestions.

----------------
    when i applied brandons suggestion to rename the file, i did not get the error message anymore and instead i got the pop up to configure live writer.  

however, after entering my live space id, (i have two spaces and  two id's), there was an error stating Login Failure with each of the i.d.'s.  

i turned off the firewall, but still could not passed the issue of a "proxy not configured...,  ...with connecting to remote computer"

-----------------

when i excercised joe's suggestion to look for the start up block in the machine.config file, i saw none or any references to "startup" or to the writer config file.

-----------------

i'm wondering if perhaps having the "my documents" folder on a different drive might have something to do with the problem i am having with the writer?  currently, the folder is on the d drive, instead of the system drive c.
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 9:43 PM
  • Brandon Turner [MSFT] said:

Thats exactly what mine looks like.

What if you rename the file to something else and try to start?

-Brandon Turner [MSFT]

hello brandon and thanks for the suggestion.

when i applied it and renamed that file, i did not get the error message anymore.  a pop up was produced for configuring the writer.

however, after entering my live space id, (i have two spaces and  two id's), there was an error stating Login Failure and it occurred for each of the i.d.'s.   subsequently, the other options did not work also.

i turned off the firewall, but still could not passed the issue of a "proxy not configured...,  ...with connecting to remote computer"

Saturday, February 28, 2009 9:48 PM
  • Joe Cheng [MSFT] said:

If Brandon's suggestion to rename our .config file doesn't work (and I suspect it won't) then put it back the way it was, and take a look at this file:

C:\windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\CONFIG\machine.config

See if there is a <startup> block in there. There isn't supposed to be (though there IS supposed to be in WindowsLiveWriter.exe.config), and when I put one in my machine.config file I get the same error when Writer tries to start.

Hello Joe and thanks for the suggestion.

Brandons suggestion had some kind of an affect but proved futile for overcoming the issue writer is having with initializing.

I looked in the folder you mentioned, and there was no indication of any startup data inside it.
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 9:50 PM
  • I think this is a different problem.  It is kind of weird my suggestion fixed the last problem.  I dont know what is causing that.

Can you send me your Windows Live Writer log file for the Spaces login problem?

Help | About | Show Log File

bturner@microsoft.com

-Brandon Turner [MSFT]
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 11:47 PM
  • Brandon Turner [MSFT] said:

I think this is a different problem.  It is kind of weird my suggestion fixed the last problem.  I dont know what is causing that.

Can you send me your Windows Live Writer log file for the Spaces login problem?

Help | About | Show Log File

bturner@microsoft.com

-Brandon Turner [MSFT]

unfortunately, i cannot get passed the configuration window, where is asks for user id and password.  none of the options seem to get me passed the resulting error regarding the inability to connect with the remote.
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 4:09 PM

• hello,

i uploaded a writer log to skydrive.   for some strange reason, writer created one this time.   however, it still doesn't initiate.

hope it provides a clue.

thanks.
    Monday, March 2, 2009 3:51 AM
  • Can you also e-mail (joe.cheng *AT* microsoft.com) all of the *.config files from this directory:
    C:\windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\CONFIG\

From the log it seems clear that the config files have some very weird directives in them that is stopping our networking calls from working.
    • Edited by Joe Cheng [MSFT]Owner Monday, March 2, 2009 8:09 PM I guess it would be good if I actually provided my e-mail address!
    Monday, March 2, 2009 8:08 PM
    Owner
  • Joe Cheng [MSFT] said:

Can you also e-mail (joe.cheng *AT* microsoft.com) all of the *.config files from this directory:
    C:\windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\CONFIG\

From the log it seems clear that the config files have some very weird directives in them that is stopping our networking calls from working.

thanks for analyzing the files and for your suggestion below.  the writer now initializes.

Sent: Monday, March 02, 2009 4:53 PM
    To: databaseben at hotmail dot kom
    Subject: RE: Config Files

In that config directory, can you

1)      Rename machine.config to machine.config.old

2)      Make a copy of machine.config.default

3)      Rename the copy from step 2 to machine.config

then try starting Writer again?

Monday, March 2, 2009 11:17 PM
  •  

it worked!!!!

writer now initiates...!