constant error message RRS feed

• Question

• I have been getting a weird message from Microsoft Windows saying, "Windows Live One care User Agent has stopped working.'  " A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."  All day this happens, but nothing seems to be effected by it.  I have used the snip it tool to copy this message, because apparently no one has heard of it.  So if there was some way to attach it I could send it to someone. I have searched everything and got nothing!  Even the phone tech says he cannot find any research on this.  Please help me!

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 9:52 AM

Answers

All replies

• The User Agent is a part of OneCare that monitors itself for problems and repairs them. However, it appears to be broken on your system for some reason. It may be conflicting with something else or it is in a broken state. When it fails, it restarts on its own, hence the reason for the message repeating.

I suggest reinstalling OneCare or contacting support. If you choose the reinstall route, make a note of your subscription LiveID (Help/About... in OneCare) to use in activating/subscribing after the reinstall. Also, run the cleanup tool after uninstalling via Control Panel.

Cleanup tool - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=828910&SiteID=2

Install from http://onecare.live.com and subscribe/activate with your LiveID per above.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 1:18 PM
  • Hello, i am on a trial and i experience the same problem. i never also had a message to say leave the agent go through the WLOC firewall. my partner is on a trial as well she had the message and runs properly. any help please?
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 2:55 PM
  • Matrix1 said:

Hello, i am on a trial and i experience the same problem. i never also had a message to say leave the agent go through the WLOC firewall. my partner is on a trial as well she had the message and runs properly. any help please?

You should not be prompted to allow it through the firewall since it is known to OneCare, being part of itself. However, if you are seeing the error reporting that it has crashed, please follow the advice from my previous reply - try reinstalling and/or contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 4:04 PM
  • Hello Steve and thanks for the quick reply. that makes it more complicate though.Just to clarify our WLOC are not crashed. but when you say :''You should not be prompted to allow it through the firewall since it is known to OneCare, being part itself.'' that makes me confused because i really don't know whats going on. 2 pcs 2 WLOC. OK? my pc occasionally pops message  as :''the window live onecare agent has stopped working''. what does this means? i cant get any information from the FAQ. the other pc had to prompt to leave the the agent through the firewall. how serious is that? what does it means?
     both WLOC are green and run properly ( i hope so) do you have any link to e mail the support? honestly the info posted takes me in circles. the customer service do not deal with that. how can i contact the Microsoft EMEA consumer technical support via e mail?  we are on trial, if i uninstall and re install the WLOC then i will loose my trial entitlment as far as i know? Many thanks. 
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 5:50 PM
  • Ops sorry Steve, i followed the links you provided, i can contact the support. :)
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 6:03 PM
  • Hi, Matrix1.
    The problem is not serious, but it is strange. I think that the GTAgent component is the self healing part of OneCare that handles the other error conditions and I believe also updates the "automatic" Fix It scripts that are offered for certain error conditions. When it closes and you get the error, it actually restarts itself, so OneCare is indeed still running and protecting the PC.
    As for the firewall request, we've had other reports of that, which is why I suggested that you may want to reinstall since it isn't supposed to happen. It may indicate a problem with the OneCare database or something about the install that didn't register itself properly.
    If you ahve trouble getting to support, post back.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 6:10 PM