Backup locks up Client PC RRS feed

• Question

• If I am working when a backup starts the PC becomes unusable as any other task virtually grinds to halt. Given that the client is an i7 with 2Gb ram and mirrored disks with Vista this seems to be a bit excessive. Task Manager only shows about 10% processor time so what is going on?

Friday, April 10, 2009 11:02 PM

Answers

• Please file a bug on Windows Home Server Connect Feedback site, instructions at the bottom of this page. I have experienced a similar issue with one of Vista PC's in the past, however at some point in time this issue disappeared, probably due to some update. I didn't get round to bugging this issue before it disappeared.

I only experienced the issue during the backup phase in which WHS was looking for changed clusters. Once this finished system speed was normal again.

I do still experience a similar issue on one of my XP pro installs, however that one is a very "dirty" install (it has been moved to different hardware multiple times) so I don't consider this install representative.

I'm sure the WHS developers are interested in your issue, and they may even offer you a solution.
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 7:16 AM