How do I report counterfeit or illegal copies of Microsoft material in a public place - ie cafe, library RRS feed

• Question

• There are several computers at the public library in my town that keep saying the OS hasn't been validated, it may be counterfeit.  Should/can I report it?

Kathleen A. Pearlman

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 2:59 AM

Answers

• The first thing to do is bring it to the notice of the manager/owner/proprietor, as there are many reasons (including malware and failing hardware) that a system may be showing as non-genuine - and a public library is unlikely to be running counterfeit software deliberately.

Internet Cafe's are more open to such practices- but they should still be informed first.

If the response you get confirm your suspicions, then yes, report them as potential counterfeiters at the link Carey gave you.

It may simply be that someone forgot to renew their subscription license, and things are 'in the works' - or they are waiting for the  maintenance crew to fix a system-wide bug.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 4:52 PM

All replies

• Please visit this web site for instructions.

Carey Frisch

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 3:51 AM
  • The first thing to do is bring it to the notice of the manager/owner/proprietor, as there are many reasons (including malware and failing hardware) that a system may be showing as non-genuine - and a public library is unlikely to be running counterfeit software deliberately.

Internet Cafe's are more open to such practices- but they should still be informed first.

If the response you get confirm your suspicions, then yes, report them as potential counterfeiters at the link Carey gave you.

It may simply be that someone forgot to renew their subscription license, and things are 'in the works' - or they are waiting for the  maintenance crew to fix a system-wide bug.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 4:52 PM