Sync between SQL Express and SQL Servers RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I was referred to some one from the ADO.Net sync forum to try out the p2p sync for having a sync setup between sql express and sql servers.

I have downloaded and installed the CTP2SyncServicesADO_x86 release.

Could anyone please tell me if its possible to sync between SQL Express 2005 ON CLIENT AND SQL Server (Ent,Devp,Standard) on the Server side.

Also if anyone could point me to some source code sample ist would be great.

Regards

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 6:35 AM

Answers

•  

Hi Rajesh,

Glad that it is now working for you.

The ADO.NET sync services is to sync between SQL Server (server side) and SQL Compact (client side) in a hub-spoke model - where you can have 1 server and multiple clients.

The P2P sync is for 2 SQL Servers to sync in a Peer-to-Peer fashion. It will be hard to expect the same scale out as you would in a hub-spoke model (as in ADO.NET sync services)

The APIs are similar and we are working to further make them seemless and similar.

The sample express provider is now posted here that you could use for hub-spoke model for express clients.

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ProjectName=sync&ReleaseId=1200

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 5:07 PM

All replies

• Yes, you should be able to sync SQL Server Express with the other SKU.

Of course if you try to use this model in a hub-spoke scenario with lot of clients you may hit some limitations.

The P2P was designed for peer to peer as its name suggests.

If you are interested in a hub-spoke scenario but for Express clients, we are working on providing a sample Express client provider which should be available soon.

I can update this thread once we have it.

Hope it helps.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 3:25 PM
  • Hi Mahesh,

Thanks a lot for the info.

Could you also point me to samples which show sync between SQL Express and other SQL Server using the P2P sync api's.

Also it would be great if you could let me know when would be the sql express ado.net sync provided be ready, so that I could decide on whether to wait for it ot go ahead with the current P2P sync api's.

Regards

Thursday, June 19, 2008 10:29 AM
  • In http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=C88BA2D1-CEF3-4149-B301-9B056E7FB1E6&displaylang=en the

CTP2SyncServicesADO_x86.msi after installation, puts the samples in this folder:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Sync Framework\v1.0\Runtime\ADO.NET\V2.0\Samples

I will update when I have more information on the SQL Express provider

Friday, June 20, 2008 6:49 AM
  • Hi Mahesh,

Thanks for the details.

I have got the CTP2SyncServicesADO_x86 installed and then I tried to run the sample from the location given by you.

The project says its missing the Microsoft.Syncronization dll. I am not sure where do I find it. Do I need to install anything else to get this dll reference.

regards

Friday, June 20, 2008 7:55 AM
  • Hi Mahesh,

Thanks for all inputs, I have finally got the P2P sync working from the Microsoft Sync Framework.

Just one question which may be crucial for my development approach.

How is this sync different from the ADO.Net sync services. Are the api's all same except that the DBPeer2Peer api helps in sync between two DB irrespective of thier flavours and the ado.net sync services only supports SQL CE based sync.

Can I use this sync provider for my sql express to sql server sync and then upgrade to the ado.net sync services whenever the provider for SQL Express is available, without much coding changes.

Please do let me know.

Friday, June 20, 2008 9:23 AM
  •  

Hi Rajesh,

Glad that it is now working for you.

The ADO.NET sync services is to sync between SQL Server (server side) and SQL Compact (client side) in a hub-spoke model - where you can have 1 server and multiple clients.

The P2P sync is for 2 SQL Servers to sync in a Peer-to-Peer fashion. It will be hard to expect the same scale out as you would in a hub-spoke model (as in ADO.NET sync services)

The APIs are similar and we are working to further make them seemless and similar.

The sample express provider is now posted here that you could use for hub-spoke model for express clients.

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ProjectName=sync&ReleaseId=1200

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 5:07 PM
  • Thanks a lot Mahesh,

I would have a look at this sample provider.

In the mean time please do update me through this post if possible whenevr the actual provider for SQL Express is ready.

Regards

Thursday, June 26, 2008 10:06 AM
  • Thursday, July 10, 2008 1:57 PM
  •  

Hi, Mahesh:

do you know how to filter and just sync with partial of data between SQL Express and SQL Server in P2P provider?

I know how to do it in Hub-and-Spoke style with SyncParameter, is it possible to do it in Peer to Peer provider?

I also post it here a question with more detail

http://forums.microsoft.com/sync/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3613756&SiteID=75

Thanks.

Monday, July 14, 2008 4:07 PM