Windows Spyware notice RRS feed

• Question

• I have a notice that says SPYWARE DETECTED ON YOUR COMPUTER.  It then list a couple such as Win/adware 64 virtumonde and Win32/Privacy Remover M64.  It says at the bottom "Please activate your antivirus software to clean your computer."  This notice was on there before I got the trial version of Windows Live Onecare.  None of the buttons on this notice are active and I cannot get it off my screen and none of my screen savers will work.  My question is if I activate or buy the full version of Live One Care will this notice go away.
    Monday, February 23, 2009 6:46 PM

Answers

All replies

• You are describing an infection by a variant of the WinAtivirus Pro malware that delivers fake security warnings to entice you into purchasing their "product." 

If you are using Windows Live OneCare and you have been infected, but OneCare did not detect or cannot remove the malware, please contact support to report this and for help with removal.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

If you are in North America, you can call 866-727-2338 for help with virus and spyware infections. See http://www.microsoft.com/protect/support/default.mspx  for details.  For international information, see your local subsidiary Support site.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, February 23, 2009 7:37 PM
  • I'll add that the trial version and full version are one and the same in the capabilities. If OneCare isn't detecting or removing it already, you can still refer to my previous post for how to get help with removal.

You may be able to remove it yourself with MalwareBytes which has a free trial version that works quite well on this family of malware.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, February 23, 2009 7:39 PM