Sony VAIO Certificate of AUthenticity RRS feed

• Question

• Boy,

I bought a brand new Vista Business VAIO VGN-SZ480 in February 2007.

I bought a full Office 2007 Professional version with it.

I have the receipt for this.

For whatever reason, I had to completely restore the hard drive from the hidden recovery partition.  It restored my Office 2007 software but it is the trial version.  It's not activated and I did not receive any disk, any media or any documentation with this computer.

So I have no idea where to get the product key.

I called Microsoft they say call Sony.  I call Sony they say you bought the computer from sonystyle, call sonystyle.  I call Sonystyle they say call Microsoft.

It's been a nightmare since the past few weeks.  I am done using Sony.

Please can someone advise as to how I break this chicken and egg problem?

Atul

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 7:11 AM

Answers

• Atul Kapadia,

According to the marketing specs for the two versions of the VGN-SZ480 laptop that are sold in N America, both versions come only with a 60-day trial of MS Office 2007.  Both come with full versions of Works 8.5.

I suppose what is in question here is whether you purchased a fully licensed version of Office 2007 Professional with the computer.  Assuming that you did, one would expect that Office 2007 Pro to have been an OEM version, which would have been preinstalled on your computer.  In such case, AFAIK Microsoft's agreements with OEMs requires that the OEM (in your case, Sony), supply a product CD or other means for you to reinstall the product if that becomes necessary.

Did you check on the computer after using the Recovery Partition for a utility that would generate a CD from which you can install your Office 2007 Pro?  It might be buried under several layers of Start Menu entries.

What documentation do you have that proves you paid additional money to have Sony give you a full preinstalled copy of Office 2007 Pro?  Do you have a specific line item for it?  If so, post how much extra it cost.

And finally, was the computer purchased thru any kind of intermediary or third party reseller, or was it purchased directly from Sony?

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 2:00 PM
  • Atul,

Please look @ the following Knowledge Base (KB) article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928218/en-us. Here you will find detailed instructions for removing beta and trial release versions of Office Suite 2007 or program.

Important:  This article contains information about how to modify the registry. Make sure that you back up the registry before you modify it. Make sure that you know how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up, restore, and modify the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Description of the Microsoft Windows registries:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986/

Please post again if you need further assistance. Thank you and hope your weekend is great.

Thank you
    Stephen Holm
    OGA Forum Manager

Thursday, June 14, 2007 12:23 AM
  • Hi

Yes - I paid for the Office 2007 Professional (not trial version) as a seperate line item with my VAIO order.  It was $300-$400 extra - I have the receipt of my VAIO.

The darn VGN model that I have does not have VAIO recovery center in the menu.

You have to F8 it during reboot.

Any way - let me cut through the chase and give you a solution that worked for me.

First - DISAPPOINTING and BAD BAD vaio.

Conclusion - This was my last VAIO - incidentally 7th VAIO I have purchased.

Another conclusion - unless you get a massive price break, why take all this ridiculous risk and buy OEM software - just buy it off a discount site on the web - you dont need to go to the system vendor but directly to the software vendor for support.

I went through about 12 days and 30 phone calls but got my product keys.

A kind soul at Sony Customer Service (Tech Support) - got me the keys - he had to call Microsoft after verifying my order on sonystyle database.

It all works but it took me a long time and a lot of effort.

Thanks to everyone.

Atul

Thursday, June 14, 2007 5:36 AM

All replies

• Atul Kapadia,

According to the marketing specs for the two versions of the VGN-SZ480 laptop that are sold in N America, both versions come only with a 60-day trial of MS Office 2007.  Both come with full versions of Works 8.5.

I suppose what is in question here is whether you purchased a fully licensed version of Office 2007 Professional with the computer.  Assuming that you did, one would expect that Office 2007 Pro to have been an OEM version, which would have been preinstalled on your computer.  In such case, AFAIK Microsoft's agreements with OEMs requires that the OEM (in your case, Sony), supply a product CD or other means for you to reinstall the product if that becomes necessary.

Did you check on the computer after using the Recovery Partition for a utility that would generate a CD from which you can install your Office 2007 Pro?  It might be buried under several layers of Start Menu entries.

What documentation do you have that proves you paid additional money to have Sony give you a full preinstalled copy of Office 2007 Pro?  Do you have a specific line item for it?  If so, post how much extra it cost.

And finally, was the computer purchased thru any kind of intermediary or third party reseller, or was it purchased directly from Sony?

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 2:00 PM
  • Atul,

Please look @ the following Knowledge Base (KB) article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928218/en-us. Here you will find detailed instructions for removing beta and trial release versions of Office Suite 2007 or program.

Important:  This article contains information about how to modify the registry. Make sure that you back up the registry before you modify it. Make sure that you know how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up, restore, and modify the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Description of the Microsoft Windows registries:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986/

Please post again if you need further assistance. Thank you and hope your weekend is great.

Thank you
    Stephen Holm
    OGA Forum Manager

Thursday, June 14, 2007 12:23 AM
  • Hi

Yes - I paid for the Office 2007 Professional (not trial version) as a seperate line item with my VAIO order.  It was $300-$400 extra - I have the receipt of my VAIO.

The darn VGN model that I have does not have VAIO recovery center in the menu.

You have to F8 it during reboot.

Any way - let me cut through the chase and give you a solution that worked for me.

First - DISAPPOINTING and BAD BAD vaio.

Conclusion - This was my last VAIO - incidentally 7th VAIO I have purchased.

Another conclusion - unless you get a massive price break, why take all this ridiculous risk and buy OEM software - just buy it off a discount site on the web - you dont need to go to the system vendor but directly to the software vendor for support.

I went through about 12 days and 30 phone calls but got my product keys.

A kind soul at Sony Customer Service (Tech Support) - got me the keys - he had to call Microsoft after verifying my order on sonystyle database.

It all works but it took me a long time and a lot of effort.

Thanks to everyone.

Atul

Thursday, June 14, 2007 5:36 AM