Backup failing, crashing PC RRS feed

• Question

• My main system is suffering from a backup failure/PC crash courtesy of WHS.  Perhaps you guys might be able to help me fix?

WHS Console says:
    "The computer failed to take a snapshot of the volume for backup."

PC event log says:
    Event Type:    Error
    Event Source:    VolSnap
    Event Category:    None
    Event ID:    5
    Date:        4/12/2007
    Time:        1:24:51 AM
    User:        N/A
    Computer:    TENOQ
    Description:
    The shadow copy of volume C: could not be created due to insufficient non-paged memory pool for a bitmap structure.

And later, after restart (machine fails to resume, so has to be rebooted):
    Event Type:    Information
    Event Source:    Save Dump
    Event Category:    None
    Event ID:    1001
    Date:        4/12/2007
    Time:        5:59:59 PM
    User:        N/A
    Computer:    TENOQ
    Description:
    The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x000000ea (0x88bd53a0, 0x89bb5a78, 0x898290e8, 0x00000001). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP.

Manual backups work fine.
    Automatic backups seem to work when the PC is left on.

Problem only occurs when putting the system into standby, and allowing WHS to 'wake it up' to make the backup.  It then gives the above errors.  I'm stumped.  Stop 0xEA is a graphics driver crash - but how is that related to WHS and it's backup?
    Tuesday, December 4, 2007 7:20 AM

Answers

• Your graphics driver or some other driver / software may be causing what is called a "memory leak", in this case resulting in the shadow copy and / or other processes to fail ( I guess your main system is not a server with loads of shadow copies)

Before getting into difficult stuff please try

1. Increase virtual memory size (Start, right click my computer, properties, advanced tab, performance settings, advanced tab, virtual memory, change to 1.5 - 2 times size of available RAM, reboot

2. updating / downgrading all drivers and system BIOS to the latest stable version. (don't use beta stuff)

3. make sure windows system files are up to date

4. instead of standby you may try hibernate, some sytems fail to wake-up properly from stand-by

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 9:37 AM

All replies

• Your graphics driver or some other driver / software may be causing what is called a "memory leak", in this case resulting in the shadow copy and / or other processes to fail ( I guess your main system is not a server with loads of shadow copies)

Before getting into difficult stuff please try

1. Increase virtual memory size (Start, right click my computer, properties, advanced tab, performance settings, advanced tab, virtual memory, change to 1.5 - 2 times size of available RAM, reboot

2. updating / downgrading all drivers and system BIOS to the latest stable version. (don't use beta stuff)

3. make sure windows system files are up to date

4. instead of standby you may try hibernate, some sytems fail to wake-up properly from stand-by

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 9:37 AM
  • Ok, increased VM from 2-4GB to 4-8GB (2GB system memory). 

Drivers are all latest stable, AFAIK - BIOS releases are woefully inadequate for this board and I'll never buy Abit again... but it's the latest. 

I've checked Windows Update - nothing needs doing.

Hibernate is disabled... but I'll give it a try tonight.  My system has NO problems with standby in any other situation: only when WHS tries to wake it up.  It's only WHS that can initiate the crash. 

I'll report tomorrow morning if I can on what happens with hibernate.  Would really prefer not to have to use that every time though, as standby is a lot more convenient. Sad
    Tuesday, December 4, 2007 12:16 PM
  • With 2 GB RAM  2 - 4 GB should be more then adequate. You may try setting a fixed value.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 12:50 PM
  • Yeah, that's what I'd figured. 

I tried to hibernate last night, but it failed.  Windows popped up an ACPI error but I couldn't read it before it vanished.  So instead I just put the box into Standby again.  Backup succeeded last night, so perhaps modifying the page file size has resolved it?  Seems unlikely though - I'll see how it goes over the next few days and report back.

Cheers for your help. :-)
    Tuesday, December 4, 2007 10:31 PM
  • Thanks for your help Brubber.  Looks like your suggestions fixed it: probably increasing the pagefile sorted things out.  I ended up setting it at 3-4GB.  Glad it was so simple.
    Saturday, December 8, 2007 10:41 AM
  • Hi

I have the same error message, HP 530 Laptop with Vista Basic.  However, the PC is stable ( for Vista) an will not do ANY backups at all!

No crashing, no hibernation, just this error - The computer failed to take a snapshot of the volume for backup

Saturday, December 8, 2007 3:11 PM
  • Have you tried brubber's suggestions?  In particular increasing or fixing your virtual memory?
    Sunday, December 9, 2007 11:22 AM