Appointment synchronisation problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    we have recently develloped microsoft CRM 4.0 and also use the outlook client. When we create an appointment in outlook we click the "show time as" to be "out of office". When the appointment is synchronised with the CRM the above field is changed to "free". Can someone help me solve this problem?
    • Changed type urbandim Wednesday, November 4, 2009 2:32 PM
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 9:04 AM

Answers

• You're correct, and I responded to quickly to the previous post.  Appointments in CRM do have Out of Office status reason by default.  I experienced some issues when syncing attendees between Outlook and CRM so I made the assumption that this might be a similar issue.  That was an incorrect assumption.

Test from CRM Web to Outlook

I tested the issue and found that when I create an Appointment through the CRM Web client using a Status Reason of Out of Office, it syncs to Outlook correctly and sets the Appointment on my calendar as Out of Office.

For the next test, I made a change to the Outlook appointment, saved the changed and allowed it to sync back to CRM.  For this test, the appointment in Outlook remained as Out of Office.  To test the sync back to Outlook, I made one additional change to the CRM appointment from the CRM Web client and allowed it to sync back to Outlook.  The appointment synced back as expected and the Status Reason still displayed as Out of Office in Outlook.

Everything in the above appears to be working as expected.

Test from Outlook to CRM

Next, I tested your scenario and created the appointment in Outlook using Out of Office.  I used the Set Regarding feature in Outlook and ran the same steps as above.  Everything synced between systems and the status reason of the Appointments in both the Outlook and the CRM Web application show as Out of Office.

Maybe you are taking different steps that I did?

Best Regards, Donna
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Thursday, November 12, 2009 5:26 PM
    Monday, November 9, 2009 2:45 PM

All replies

• Hi Urbandim,

A couple items to check:

--Do you have update rollup 7 installed?
    --Is the users time zone properly set in ms crm ?
    Alex Fagundes - www.PowerObjects.com
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 11:51 PM
  • Thank's for your reply,

Yes i have installed update rollup 7. What do you mean properly set users time zone? Where i must do this?
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 9:18 AM
  • Since CRM appointments don't have a Status or Status reason of 'out of office', I suspect that you may need to create a workflow that updates the appointment status when it is created in the CRM application.  You'll want to create a check condition that identifies the created appointment to ensure you are updating only those appointments created through the synchronization process.

Best Regards, Donna
    Friday, November 6, 2009 2:47 PM
  • But CRM appointments do have the "out of office" status. Even when we create an appointment in CRM and state "out of office" when synchronisation happens it is changed again in "free".
    It is really very annoying!
    Friday, November 6, 2009 9:04 PM
  • I understand, and it is annoying.  To at least see the time as scheduled, you can create a workflow that updates the appointment time in CRM to Scheduled, Busy.  Update the Appointment Status when the record is created (synced the first time).  That way when the appointment syncs back, it will at least sync back as busy.  You have to put some sort of identifier in the Appointment so that you can use a Check Condition in the workflow.  This will ensure you only update Appointments that are synced and not others.

The other option is to not sync Outlook and CRM appointments.  You can make that change in your CRM Outloook Client options.

I haven't tested adding a status reason to the Scheduled state for Out of Office, but I will try that and see if the sync recognizes it when the record syncs back to Outlook and let you know.
    Best Regards, Donna
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 12:45 AM
  • You're correct, and I responded to quickly to the previous post.  Appointments in CRM do have Out of Office status reason by default.  I experienced some issues when syncing attendees between Outlook and CRM so I made the assumption that this might be a similar issue.  That was an incorrect assumption.

Test from CRM Web to Outlook

I tested the issue and found that when I create an Appointment through the CRM Web client using a Status Reason of Out of Office, it syncs to Outlook correctly and sets the Appointment on my calendar as Out of Office.

For the next test, I made a change to the Outlook appointment, saved the changed and allowed it to sync back to CRM.  For this test, the appointment in Outlook remained as Out of Office.  To test the sync back to Outlook, I made one additional change to the CRM appointment from the CRM Web client and allowed it to sync back to Outlook.  The appointment synced back as expected and the Status Reason still displayed as Out of Office in Outlook.

Everything in the above appears to be working as expected.

Test from Outlook to CRM

Next, I tested your scenario and created the appointment in Outlook using Out of Office.  I used the Set Regarding feature in Outlook and ran the same steps as above.  Everything synced between systems and the status reason of the Appointments in both the Outlook and the CRM Web application show as Out of Office.

Maybe you are taking different steps that I did?

Best Regards, Donna
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Thursday, November 12, 2009 5:26 PM
    Monday, November 9, 2009 2:45 PM