OneCare Shows Expired, Yet I purchased a new Box from Store Please Help RRS feed

• Question

• My OneCare said it was about to expire. I had 2 choices ... renew by a purchase online for over $40 or a new box from Staples as part of TurboTax for free (after rebates). I went the new box route. I uninstalled as directed by the software, and installed as if new, but it still shows as expired. Can you please guide me on how to get the renewal?

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 1:17 AM

Answers

• You did not need to uninstall/reinstall. You simply needed to renew with the retail key.

Now that you reinstalled, by activating with the same LiveID, the new install inherited the subscription status of the existing subscription and you were not prompted for payment or a retail PIN/Key.

Go to http://billing.microsoft.com and sign in with your subscription LiveID. (Open OneCare and click help/about to view the subscription LiveID)

Select the OneCare subscription and click on the renew link.

Choose the option to renew with a prepaid PIN or token which is the retail product key.

Enter the 25 character key and proceed.

It can take up to 24 hours for the subscription status to be updated in OneCare.

-steve
    Tuesday, February 12, 2008 1:32 AM
  • That would be a canned response. If you used the retail key, there is no further purchase.

I happened to be here, so you benefit from the top down scan of the forum topics. :-) You're welcome.

-steve

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 2:00 AM

All replies

• You did not need to uninstall/reinstall. You simply needed to renew with the retail key.

Now that you reinstalled, by activating with the same LiveID, the new install inherited the subscription status of the existing subscription and you were not prompted for payment or a retail PIN/Key.

Go to http://billing.microsoft.com and sign in with your subscription LiveID. (Open OneCare and click help/about to view the subscription LiveID)

Select the OneCare subscription and click on the renew link.

Choose the option to renew with a prepaid PIN or token which is the retail product key.

Enter the 25 character key and proceed.

It can take up to 24 hours for the subscription status to be updated in OneCare.

-steve
    Tuesday, February 12, 2008 1:32 AM
  • Hey thanks for the very quick response. I followed your directions (very clear and helpful) and it went well all up to the point the system told me I "purchased" and will be charged. If I already paid for the product key... why would it say I purchased and will be charged? Is this a canned response? Can I assume that I will not get charged? Again, thanks for the help.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 1:50 AM
  • That would be a canned response. If you used the retail key, there is no further purchase.

I happened to be here, so you benefit from the top down scan of the forum topics. :-) You're welcome.

-steve

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 2:00 AM
  • I did all the above but when I put in the Product Key it says it has already been used its alloted times. I installed on one other laptop. This would only be the 2nd computer can you advise?

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 2:51 AM
  •  opdbettyetaylor wrote:

I did all the above but when I put in the Product Key it says it has already been used its alloted times. I installed on one other laptop. This would only be the 2nd computer can you advise?

See: (pasted below)

http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/install/addcomputerinstall.htm

You don't use the key for any installations after the first one, where you activated your subscription. You use the same LiveID as used originally.

If you can't clear the LiveID from the form for activation, see this post:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2776450&SiteID=2

-steve

Add Windows Live OneCare to another computer

The new Multi-PC management feature within Windows Live OneCare allows you to form a OneCare Circle of Protection to monitor, manage and keep your home wireless network safe. Proactive guidance for common tasks such as sharing printers and efficiently backing up important files to a single location keep your PCs up-to-date and optimized.

If you have an active Windows Live OneCare subscription, you can add another computer (up to three total) to your existing subscription. Just follow these easy steps:

1. Using the computer you wish to install Windows Live OneCare on, click the link below to begin installation.

Install Windows Live OneCare

2. When the installation is complete, open Windows Live OneCare and click the Activate button.
    3. Sign in with the same Windows Live ID you used when you first installed Windows Live OneCare and then follow the directions.
    Tuesday, February 12, 2008 1:34 PM