Error when redeploying CRM 3.0 in new domain RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

i try to redeploy our CRM 3.0 to another domain.
    So i copied the DB's, restored it in SQL 2005 (Windows Server 2003) and started the Redeployment Wizard on the CRM-Server (Windows Server 2003).
    I mapped the old users to the new ones in the new domain and then tried to start redeployment, but it end with an error:
    "An error occurred when populating Microsoft CRM user groups. Ensure that CRM user accounts are accessible from the current domain and run the wizard again."

In the log file the inner exception is 
    "Searching for the DirectoryEntry with GUID 13a5b99d-fff3-4bf8-9485-c07f37610e6e"
    "The wizard could not find the Microsoft CRM security group (13a5b99d-fff3-4bf8-9485-c07f37610e6e). Make sure the group exists in Active Directory."

What could be the problem here? Do I need a group called "Microsoft CRM security group" or what?
    In the old domain i cant find a group like this.

Best regards,
    Andy
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 11:51 AM

Answers

• Hi Andy -

There are AD security groups created for accessing SQL / Reports etc. - You'll probably find these in your old domain -

PrivUserGroup
    SQLAccessGroup
    UserGroup
    ReportingGroup

I'd encourage you to uninstall (keeping database in place). Re-install 3.0 (no upgrade) and point to the old SQL DB.

Scott Sewell, CustomerEffective | http:\\blog.CustomerEffective.com | Twitter:@ScottSewell
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Monday, March 23, 2009 7:54 PM
    Monday, March 23, 2009 7:45 PM

All replies

• Hi Andy -

There are AD security groups created for accessing SQL / Reports etc. - You'll probably find these in your old domain -

PrivUserGroup
    SQLAccessGroup
    UserGroup
    ReportingGroup

I'd encourage you to uninstall (keeping database in place). Re-install 3.0 (no upgrade) and point to the old SQL DB.

Scott Sewell, CustomerEffective | http:\\blog.CustomerEffective.com | Twitter:@ScottSewell
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Monday, March 23, 2009 7:54 PM
    Monday, March 23, 2009 7:45 PM
  • Hi Scott,

thanks for your reply.
    I still have no installed CRM unless the one which is installed in the "old" domain and have to stay active since the new one is published.
    I tried to install CRM 3.0 and point it to the old DB. But their is an error that the DB is not conform. So i think i have to use the Redeployment Wizard to get the DB conform to the new AD.
    In the DB security settings there are the two old groups SQLAccessGroup and ReportingGroup. Do I have to delete them first before starting the redeployment?
    Do I need special AD access rights for redeployment? At the moment I have write-access to the OU where I want to place the CRM security groups and so.

Best regards,
    Andy
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 8:02 AM
  • You shouldn't have to delete the 2 old groups - CRM will re-create those in the new domain (if it needs to).

Regarding AD rights, http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/908984 describes the permissions you'll need.

Typically, you'll need...

Permissions

• Read
    • Write
    • Add/Remove self as member

Advanced permissions

• List Contents
    • Read All Properties
    • Write All Properties
    • Read Permissions
    • Modify Permissions
    • All Validated Writes
    • Add/Remove self as member

Tuesday, March 24, 2009 8:38 AM
  • Ok thank you so far.
    I will check this with the domain administrator.
    By the way, if i run the Environmental Diagnostic Tool i get the error that is described in your posted KB
    "Current user does not have permissions to set the Trust for Delegation property"
    So in worst case I try the installation with domain administrator rights.
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 9:42 AM