Live Custom Domains RRS feed

• Question

• For a few days my WHS servers are showing error that Windows Live Custom Domain update has failed.  I've seen this on two different servers at different locations so it is not LAN related. I've seen questions posted on other boards for the same problem so I know it is not just me having the problem.

Has MS done anything to remove the updating domain name functionality for WHS remote access?

Monday, December 29, 2014 2:38 PM

All replies

• I'm having the same issue.
    Monday, December 29, 2014 5:43 PM
  • It's working for me on my WHS2011 system.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Monday, December 29, 2014 5:51 PM
  • I'm seeing the same thing, but I've not been using the Remote Access feature much. These warnings are coming through the Home Server Connect software running on my PC client.

Monday, December 29, 2014 7:45 PM
  • I think it might have something to do with the DDOS issues that have been occurring on Xbox etc with the Lizard Squad, it all started at the same time as that for me. I have two boxes and both are doing it.

Has anyone spoken to Microsoft Support yet to report this?

Monday, December 29, 2014 9:14 PM
  • Same problem here on WHS v1 system.  Seems intermittent, which would be consistent with DDoS attack theory....

Richard

Tuesday, December 30, 2014 12:32 AM
  • Same problem here on WHS v1.  I was thinking the DDoS thing as well.  But that's supposed to be resolved now.
    Tuesday, December 30, 2014 12:41 AM
  • I'm experiencing the exact same issue on my WHS v1
    Tuesday, December 30, 2014 10:04 AM

• Same Problem here.  The WHS Console reports unable to update Windows Live Custom Domains.  Remote access still seems to work fine though.  Going to domains.live.com for info sure makes it look like MS is migrating everything to outlook.com and office 365.  Hope the Live Custom Domains aren't going the way of the dodo...
    Tuesday, December 30, 2014 4:53 PM
  • I am also having the same issue.  I hope MS will respond to confirm if this is an issue or ending of the service......
    Wednesday, December 31, 2014 3:26 AM
  • I am also having the same issue.  I hope MS will respond to confirm if this is an issue or ending of the service......

Yes, same for me on WHS v1. It works intermittently though, so I wasn't thinking the service is being taken down.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

Wednesday, December 31, 2014 6:02 PM
  • Yes, same for me on WHS v1. It works intermittently though, so I wasn't thinking the service is being taken down.

Mine seems to be working again now.

Thursday, January 1, 2015 10:59 AM
  • For a few days my WHS servers are showing error that Windows Live Custom Domain update has failed.  I've seen this on two different servers at different locations so it is not LAN related. I've seen questions posted on other boards for the same problem so I know it is not just me having the problem.

Has MS done anything to remove the updating domain name functionality for WHS remote access?

I am having the same issue on my WHS v1.0 but a friends one is still working. I tried several times in the console to reconfigure it by selecting reconfigure and selecting choose another name and once it came up with my domain but then failed when I continued.

UPDATE

I have just fixed it. I reconfigured it with a new name and it stated it would remove the original domain which I reluctantly did and it worked. So I then repeated the process to go back to my original domain before someone else grabbed it and again it worked but only in IE not Firefox, so I had to change a few things in Firefox and it is all back to normal. I thought maybe the problem may have been with Firefox but then I remembered I had tried it with IE previously as well. So maybe with all the changes that MS is doing had changed something and just wanted a kick in the butt.

Colin

• Edited by wecpcs Thursday, January 1, 2015 2:24 PM
    Thursday, January 1, 2015 1:33 PM
  • A few days ago, I finally decommissioned my WHSv1 box so that I could move to my WHS2011 box. On the v1, I released my old domain name. On the 2011, it says that the "Domain Name is Unavailable". Does anyone know how long it can take to become available? Is this related to this outage?
    Wednesday, January 7, 2015 5:50 PM
  • Probably never - it turns out that WHS v1 activity wasn't counted as activity for Windows Live accounts, so the one I used for mine was closed due to inactivity. Therefore I cannot "reclaim" ownership of the domain and it will forever be an orphan. I too transitioned to WHS2011 and have since been saddled with the infinitely revoking homeserver.com domain problem - eventually forcing me to switch to my own signed domain name and certificate.

FWIW, during my fights with 2011, I repeatedly released and reclaimed several .homeserver.com domains and they all happened instantaneously so I think you've most likely lost your old domain.  If you have a registry backup of your WHS v1 box *BEFORE* you released the domain, you can probably at least get it back accessible from your v1 box.  It *LOOKS* to me as if the string from that *COULD* be used to update the domain name forever (i.e. via script on the WHS2011 box) but I don't have time to chase it down and write a program to perform that function.

Richard

• Proposed as answer by jrrronimo Sunday, October 2, 2016 5:27 PM
    Wednesday, January 7, 2015 5:58 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. I don't have such a backup, unfortunately -- I released the domain and shut the old server down for good. It *might* turn on again, but that sounds like it won't really get me anywhere.

That's a huge bummer! But if that's how it is, so be it. Unfortunately that orphans a bunch of image links I've posted over the years on various forums, but that's how it goes, haha. I wish there were someone at MS that we could get ahold of to fix these sorts of things...

Cheers!

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 6:12 PM
  • Nope, once the domain is released WHS deletes the registry keys :(  Unfortunately a WHS server backup doesn't save the registry either - I only lucked out by having a very old HDD left over from the original mirror set from which I could pull my registry.

FWIW, my domain name is still working - but there's no way to update the IP, so once Comcrap moves me again it will die :(

Agreed on wishing for an MS contact - I even have the unique ID from my original Windows Live account, not that there's any way to do anything with that either. Sigh.  Such a great product that has died such a slow and painful death.

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 6:43 PM