How long should it take to extend the drive space? RRS feed

• Question

•  

New install of WHS, have 2x80GB Drives in there and they work fine.  I was however down to 900MB of free space, so I added a new 80GB drive.  I right click on it in the console and selected add.  Went through the wizard and for the past hour I am stuck on the screen that says "please wait while the hard drive is prepared for the server".  The status bar is completely green as if to indicate 100% completion and the text under it indicates:

It has been like this for over an hour now.  If I look at task manager on the WHS, CPU is at 100% and most of it is usually taken up by the demigrator.exe process.

Is this normal?  How long should I have to wait for the drive to be added?

Thank you

Friday, July 18, 2008 5:34 PM

Answers

• After my previous post, I was succesfull in adding it as a home server backup drive.  It formated just fine when I selected that radio button.  No clue why it won't let me add it to extend storage though.

• Marked as answer by Argion Tuesday, September 22, 2015 6:46 PM
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 3:50 AM

All replies

• Hi and welcome,

Usually, it takes just seconds. However, if you are using such small drives and have so little available free space of the original drives, it could take quite some time.

The recommendation by Microsoft, is to use your largest available drive as your system drive. The consensus on here, seems to be that somewhere between 300GB and 500GB is a reasonable compromise.

On your system, using an 80GB drive, you have very little free space for data transfers to the server and this space will get progressively less as time goes on. It this is a recent build, and you don't have a great deal of data on the server yet, I would recommend that you use a drive similar to previously mentioned and do a 'Re-Install'.

Colin

Friday, July 18, 2008 5:41 PM
  • I have 2x500GB on the way.  Problem now is that I have already transfered most of my music to the WHS which would explain why I had so little space to start with.  Just want to know that it will finish at some point.

Friday, July 18, 2008 5:48 PM
  • OK,

glad you've got more drives, but as I say, I really would change that system drive. Another small point is that WHS reserves part of the free space on each physical dive, so your 80GB drives won't even store that much.

Good luck,

Colin

Friday, July 18, 2008 5:52 PM
  • Can I change the system drive when the new drives come in, or do I need a reintall?

Friday, July 18, 2008 5:53 PM
  • You will need to do a Server Reinstall.

Adding a drive should not be taking that long. Mine only takes a few minutes.
    My guess is that its hung somewhere. If you can restart, try again.
    Friday, July 18, 2008 5:59 PM
  • You should be able to just do a Re-Install, this means replacing you system drive with a new one and then booting from the server DVD. This will offer you two options; Installation (which wipes everything, and does a complete new install), and Re-Install, choosing this option, will install the operating system but keep all your backups and files in your shared folders, and it then rebuilds all the pointers to your existing data. This can take quite some time to achieve.

Prior to doing so, as your drives are so full, I would let the server migrate your data to the drive you have just installed. Also, for your peace of mind, you could install the Disk Management Add-In, which will show on which drive your data is stored.

If, for some reason, you don't get the 'Re-Install' option, don't proceed further. If you post back in that case, someone here will be able to walk you through the way to do an installation, but not loose your data.

Colin

Friday, July 18, 2008 6:05 PM
  • Well, the new drives came in today.  Had some initial problems with Windows not recognizing them until Windows Update downloaded the drivers for the PCI SATA card.  The first drive was added to the storage array within minutes.  The second one however, fails at formating.  I get the error that Format Failed, the hard drive was not formatted because it is being used by another program or service.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 3:17 AM
  •  Argion wrote:
    Well, the new drives came in today.  Had some initial problems with Windows not recognizing them until Windows Update downloaded the drivers for the PCI SATA card.  The first drive was added to the storage array within minutes.  The second one however, fails at formating.  I get the error that Format Failed, the hard drive was not formatted because it is being used by another program or service.

You got that from a brand new drive?  I'd question how "new" that drive is...

In any event, you can try pulling the drive from the server, hooking it up to another computer and format it that way.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 3:47 AM
  • After my previous post, I was succesfull in adding it as a home server backup drive.  It formated just fine when I selected that radio button.  No clue why it won't let me add it to extend storage though.

• Marked as answer by Argion Tuesday, September 22, 2015 6:46 PM
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 3:50 AM