An error occurred while trying to add the report to Microsoft Dynamics CRM RRS feed

• Question

•  

I usually work on my CRM VPC for entity modification and tests and then import them back to my development box. I recently created a CRM 4 report using VS 2008 on my CRM 4 VPC (with SQL 2008) - Report is working fine there, howoever, when I try to upload the ".rdl" file to our CRM development box through CRM Report section it says:

An error occurred while trying to add the report to Microsoft Dynamics CRM. Try this action again. If the problem continues, check the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Community for solutions or contact your organization's Microsoft Dynamics CRM Administrator. Finally, you can contact Microsoft Support.
    Error code: 0x80048298

Our development CRM server uses SQL 2005 and both CRM and SQL are on a two different servers.

Any help, thank you?

AAVI2

AAVI2
    • Moved by Cathy Kong Thursday, October 14, 2010 7:43 AM (From:Team Foundation Server - Reporting & Warehouse)
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 9:10 PM

Answers

• AAVI2,

First thing - my name is Andriy (not Adi) and it can't be made shorter even if I want.

Second thing - you will have to redesign report using VS 2005 and SQL 2005 or you can try to update your current production SQL Server to 2008 (but this is a hard way).

Microsoft CRM Freelancer

My blog (english)
    Мой блог (русскоязычный)
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 12:54 PM
  • The link is correct because inside this Toolkit there is product called Business Instelligence Development Studio. And you will check the description you will see following:
    • Business Intelligence Development Studio (BIDS) – Create and edit reports for SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services (SSRS). BIDS provides the ability to create and edit Reporting Services projects that are reporting on local relational data in local SQL Server Express databases.

So it seems that this is all you need.
    Microsoft CRM Freelancer

My blog (english)
    Мой блог (русскоязычный)
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 7:21 PM

All replies

• Hi AAVI2,

I am moving this thread from "Team Foundation Server-Reporting & Warehouse" forum to "Dynamics Forums-CRM" forum, since the issue is more related to CRM. There are more CRM experts in that forum and your issue will get a quicker response.

Hope it helps!

Best Regards,

Cathy Kong

• Proposed as answer by Inder SQL Wednesday, November 10, 2010 2:37 PM
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 7:45 AM
  • Is there any chance that you created report for SRS 2008 and trying to deploy it on SRS 2005? If yes - this would not work because there is no backward compatibility in SQL SRS 2005 and 2008.

If I understood you wrong you should switch on trace , make iisreset and try import this report again - trace (located in [CRM Server Installation Folder]\Trace) will contain detailed description of error.

Microsoft CRM Freelancer

My blog (english)
    Мой блог (русскоязычный)
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 9:04 AM
  • Hi AAVI2

U have recheck the Database name in the report which you are creating in SQL Server.

and if the parameters are wrong then you will get the error

If you importing the .rdl then edit the report and check for the database name and the correct parameters.

Khaja Mohiddin
    • Proposed as answer by Inder SQL Wednesday, November 10, 2010 2:37 PM
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 10:30 AM
  • Thanks Adi and Khaja

Yes, Adi, you're right - I created a report within my VPC using SQL 2008 SRS while trying to add it on my development Box which has  SQL 2005 SRS. Is there a way that I could downgrade the report to SQL 2005 SRS or I have to redesign it using SQL 2005 SRS? Please advise, thank you.

Regards,

AAVI

AAVI2
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 12:47 PM
  • Thanks much Cathy...
    AAVI2
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 12:48 PM
  • One more thing Adi - can I uninstall SQL 2008 from my VPC and install SQL server 2005 OR should I uninstall VS 2008 and SQL 2008 both from my VPC then install SQL 2005 and VS 2008 OR please suggest the best possible way so that I could save the time.

Thank you.

Regards,

AAVI2
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 12:50 PM
  • AAVI2,

First thing - my name is Andriy (not Adi) and it can't be made shorter even if I want.

Second thing - you will have to redesign report using VS 2005 and SQL 2005 or you can try to update your current production SQL Server to 2008 (but this is a hard way).

Microsoft CRM Freelancer

My blog (english)
    Мой блог (русскоязычный)
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 12:54 PM
  • First thing - My apology for the name

Secondly, thanks a lot for the help - I would downgrade my VPC to VS 2005 and SQL 2005.

Best regards

AAVI2
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 12:57 PM
  • Problem :)

Based on the answers I will have to re-write reports using VS 2005 and SQL 2005 SRS - But I am not able to find VS 2005 and SQL 2005 trial download from the net as they are no longer available.

I have VS 2008 on my development machine  and We can't upgrade our production DB to SQL 2008 - PLEASE let me know my options to write custom reports for CRM 4 while the current scenario is:

Development machine : VS 2008 configured with SQL 2008 SRS 

Production Box            : SQL Server 2005 SRS

Thank you.

AAVI2
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 4:09 PM
  • I can suggest you to develop reports on production server (required VS can be there - depends on chosen options at the stage of installation). Reports are not JavaScript or Plugins - it can't harm the daa in server (of cource if you would not use Delete, Update or DROP clauses).

Microsoft CRM Freelancer

My blog (english)
    Мой блог (русскоязычный)
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 4:12 PM
  • Thanks Andriy - if we install VS 2008 (because VS 2005 is not available) on our production server (SQL 2005 server) then it should work - please correct me if I am wrong. Thank you.

Kind regards,

AAVI2
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 6:51 PM
  • No. You are wrong. You need VS 2005. I don't know where you tried to find it but I've done it in 3 minutes - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=3c856b93-369f-4c6f-9357-c35384179543
    Microsoft CRM Freelancer

My blog (english)
    Мой блог (русскоязычный)
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 6:59 PM
  • Thanks for your time Andriy - the link you sent me is for SQL 2005 Express Edition Toolkit - We have SQL Server 2005 and Reporting Services installed on our production server, however, I wasn't able to find Visual Studio 2005 - Thanks much once again for being patient with me.

Kind regards,

AAVI2
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 7:14 PM
  • The link is correct because inside this Toolkit there is product called Business Instelligence Development Studio. And you will check the description you will see following:
    • Business Intelligence Development Studio (BIDS) – Create and edit reports for SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services (SSRS). BIDS provides the ability to create and edit Reporting Services projects that are reporting on local relational data in local SQL Server Express databases.

So it seems that this is all you need.
    Microsoft CRM Freelancer

My blog (english)
    Мой блог (русскоязычный)
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 7:21 PM
  • Oh - okay so I only need to install this product to our SQL 2005 server and we should be ready to develop custom reports - thanks much Andriy
    AAVI2
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 8:11 PM
  • hi this is hasan will you help me in  my visaul basic 2010 with datadase connectivity
    Inder SQL
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 2:39 PM