Windows Home Server v1 (2007) + Windows 8.1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I just installed Windows 8.1 and my link with Windows Home Server seems to have been broken during the update.

This was working fine with WIndows 8. My issue: The WHS application tells me that password does not match anymore.

I have done so far:

1) Added username / pass for the server in Credentials Manager

2) Set to NTLM only in LAN Manager secpool.msc

3) Disabled 128 bit encryption also in secpool for LAN and NTLM transfer (client + server). Same on the Windows Home Server.

Result, still doesnt work.

Backup does not even start - so the WHS function is more or less gone. Each time I open shared folders, I have to manually type in the username and password to get access to my files on the WHS server.

Yes, I have googled, I have read forums, I have done quite a lot. But none seems to be having a proper answer. Just some solutions that "might" work. 

So what happened in Windows 8.1? Did MS change network transfer encryption methods? Policies? Or is it just my ignorance that won't let me see the obvious fault here?

Regards

Monday, October 21, 2013 3:04 PM

Answers

• All,

The solution is actually quite simple to this. Don't install Windows with UEFI/GPT disk partions. Then Windows Home Server v1 will still work.

However if you have installed with UEFI, you can still use WHS v1 to backup C drive, you just have to manually disable the Recovery partion when the option is given.

I will finally give in, and use Server 2012 Essentials instead, as it supports UEFI.

Saturday, November 2, 2013 2:12 AM

All replies

• I would like an answer also, same problems.
    Friday, November 1, 2013 10:36 PM
  • All,

The solution is actually quite simple to this. Don't install Windows with UEFI/GPT disk partions. Then Windows Home Server v1 will still work.

However if you have installed with UEFI, you can still use WHS v1 to backup C drive, you just have to manually disable the Recovery partion when the option is given.

I will finally give in, and use Server 2012 Essentials instead, as it supports UEFI.

Saturday, November 2, 2013 2:12 AM