Reactivation needed after attempted install of Service Pack 2 RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Windows Vista Home Basic on my desktop, and this has operated well for almost 2 years.  At some point, I read a Microsoft advisory that Vista Service Pack 1 would not be supported after July.  I decided to install Service Pack 2, which I downloaded directly from Microsoft.  I started the install of the service pack.  At some point, the service pack could not complete, and the system froze.  I shut the system down and rebooted.  Upon bootup, my desktop background image was missing, and I was notified my copy of Windows was not genuine, and needed reactivation.

At this time, when I start up my computer, I am first taken to a screen suggesting Service Pack 2 is installing.  The installation quickly proceeds to 62%, then aborts installation.  The computer then boots up with the "non-genuine" version.

I have run your MGA diagnostic tool, but cannot provide you with a copy.  When I click on copy, I am told the information cannot be saved to a file.  I have a print screen jpeg that I can send, if needed.  One thing I note from the diagnostic information is that the Product Key given on the diagnostic does not seem to be the same one I have on my desktop.

I have gone into the Computer>Properties>Change Activation Key process that was recommended in another message for reactivation.  When I do this, I get the message "The product key you have entered will not work with this edition of Windows Vista".  In this screen, it shows I have Service Pack 2.  My computer came installed with Service Pack 1.  Could this be the reason the product key does not work?

I attempted the phone activation mentioned in another message, where I type "slui 4" into the command prompt.  I get the message that Windows must be reinstalled.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Sunday, March 6, 2011 6:36 PM

Answers

• "Griffin6792" wrote in message news:7f40858f-5791-44bc-990a-e162775aaef4...

I am running Windows Vista Home Basic on my desktop, and this has operated well for almost 2 years.  At some point, I read a Microsoft advisory that Vista Service Pack 1 would not be supported after July.  I decided to install Service Pack 2, which I downloaded directly from Microsoft.  I started the install of the service pack.  At some point, the service pack could not complete, and the system froze.  I shut the system down and rebooted.  Upon bootup, my desktop background image was missing, and I was notified my copy of Windows was not genuine, and needed reactivation.

At this time, when I start up my computer, I am first taken to a screen suggesting Service Pack 2 is installing.  The installation quickly proceeds to 62%, then aborts installation.  The computer then boots up with the "non-genuine" version.

I have run your MGA diagnostic tool, but cannot provide you with a copy.  When I click on copy, I am told the information cannot be saved to a file.  I have a print screen jpeg that I can send, if needed.  One thing I note from the diagnostic information is that the Product Key given on the diagnostic does not seem to be the same one I have on my desktop.

I have gone into the Computer>Properties>Change Activation Key process that was recommended in another message for reactivation.  When I do this, I get the message "The product key you have entered will not work with this edition of Windows Vista".  In this screen, it shows I have Service Pack 2.  My computer came installed with Service Pack 1.  Could this be the reason the product key does not work?

I attempted the phone activation mentioned in another message, where I type "slui 4" into the command prompt.  I get the message that Windows must be reinstalled.

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Sunday, March 6, 2011 7:44 PM

All replies

• "Griffin6792" wrote in message news:7f40858f-5791-44bc-990a-e162775aaef4...

I am running Windows Vista Home Basic on my desktop, and this has operated well for almost 2 years.  At some point, I read a Microsoft advisory that Vista Service Pack 1 would not be supported after July.  I decided to install Service Pack 2, which I downloaded directly from Microsoft.  I started the install of the service pack.  At some point, the service pack could not complete, and the system froze.  I shut the system down and rebooted.  Upon bootup, my desktop background image was missing, and I was notified my copy of Windows was not genuine, and needed reactivation.

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Sunday, March 6, 2011 7:44 PM
  • No reply from the Original Poster.

Issue is assumed to be resolved.

Darin MS
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 9:00 PM