new build when? RRS feed

• Question

• Now that beta has started for Server 2008r2 SP1, will we get a new build that
    includes those bits and more importantly, when will we get a new build of ANY
    kind?

Barb Bowman

http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 1:04 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately, the only possible answer to this is "You'll get a new build when Microsoft decides one is ready." I don't have a schedule that I can share, and (as you undoubtedly realize) Microsoft doesn't generally say things like "You'll have a new beta build in three weeks." They might say "You'll have one tomorrow." but only if they've already got it ready for download. :)

The best place to watch for information is right here, and the team blogs:

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/windowshomeserver/default.aspx

http://blogs.technet.com/b/homeserver/

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 5:11 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately, the only possible answer to this is "You'll get a new build when Microsoft decides one is ready." I don't have a schedule that I can share, and (as you undoubtedly realize) Microsoft doesn't generally say things like "You'll have a new beta build in three weeks." They might say "You'll have one tomorrow." but only if they've already got it ready for download. :)

The best place to watch for information is right here, and the team blogs:

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/windowshomeserver/default.aspx

http://blogs.technet.com/b/homeserver/

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 5:11 PM
  • The question was not directed at you, since you are not on the WHS team. I'm not
    an idiot. I understand the normal sources of information.

Perhaps you should change you tagline to WHS MVP which will make it crystal
    clear that you don't speak for Microsoft. You imply that you have a schedule but
    can't share it. That's fine. Don't rub that in our faces.

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 17:11:53 +0000, Ken Warren [MVP] wrote:

>
    >
    >Unfortunately, the only possible answer to this is "You'll get a new build when Microsoft decides one is ready." I don't have a schedule that I can share, and (as you undoubtedly realize) Microsoft doesn't generally say things like "You'll have a new beta build in three weeks." They might say "You'll have one tomorrow." but only if they've already got it ready for download. :)
    >
    >The best place to watch for information is right here, and the team blogs:
    >
    >
    >I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Barb Bowman

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 5:52 PM
  • Please don't try to read in to what I said. "I don't have a schedule I can share" is not the same thing as "I have a schedule I'm not allowed to share". Microsoft will tell all of us when (if) a future build will be available in their own time. 

And no, I'll not be changing my tag line; I chose it several years ago because people were assuming I had information that I didn't, that I was one of the developers or product planners on the team. I keep it because it amuses me, because it's memorable, and because it's true.

Thursday, June 24, 2010 1:06 AM
  • do me a favor, don't respond to any more of my posts.

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 01:06:56 +0000, Ken Warren [MVP] wrote:

>
    >
    >Please don't try to read in to what I said. "I don't have a schedule I can share" is not the same thing as "I have a schedule I'm not allowed to share". Microsoft will tell all of us when (if) a future build will be available in their own time. 
    >
    >And no, I'll not be changing my tag line; I chose it several years ago because people were assuming I had information that I didn't, that I was one of the developers or product planners on the team. I keep it because it amuses me, because it's memorable, and because it's true.
    >I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Barb Bowman

Thursday, June 24, 2010 9:07 AM
  • With that attitude it's hard to understand why no one else has bothered to help you.  
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 6:27 PM
  • I agree....Ken's nothing but helpful and puts up with a lot of inane stuff. What, you think it's 1995 and we're on Usenet? Who acts like that these days????
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 6:46 PM
  • Now that beta has started for Server 2008r2 SP1, will we get a new build that
    includes those bits and more importantly, when will we get a new build of ANY
    kind?

Barb Bowman

My attempt to get the thread back on track....

Based on my experience with whs v1, I'd say we will see some updates to whs v2, but on the backend (stuff you won't see). 

Far as whs v2 beta update or new build, who knows.  We all could guess, but as I said with the v1 beta, "Those who don't know, guess.  Those who know laugh at the people who guess." 

It would be nice to see at least one more beta build before v2 launch, but as stable as v2 beta seems, I would not be surprised if we went directly into production (with fixes included). 

Friday, June 25, 2010 5:23 AM
  • On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 17:52:43 +0000, Barb Bowman [MVP] wrote:

The question was not directed at you, since you are not on the WHS team. I'm not
    an idiot. I understand the normal sources of information.

Then you should also understand that the chances of getting any official
    response to your original question from anyone from Microsoft are somewhere
    between slim to none, edging much closer to none.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca

Friday, June 25, 2010 12:03 PM
  • Vail is far from ready for release to the public, unless they don�t want
    anyone to buy it. But... they released v1 before it was ready... and guess
    what, hardly anyone bought it! :)

--
    Art (artfudd) Folden
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Mat93e" wrote in message
    news:Microsoft.en-US.whsvailbeta!5c9b52e5-2c2a-4c1b-9def-1e524d16aca1@social.msdn.microsoft.com...
    > Now that beta has started for Server 2008r2 SP1, will we get a new build
    > that
    > includes those bits and more importantly, when will we get a new build of
    > ANY
    > kind?
    >
    > ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > Barb Bowman
    > http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
    >
    >
    > My attempt to get the thread back on track....
    >
    > Based on my experience with whs v1, I'd say we will see some updates to
    > whs v2, but on the backend (stuff you won't see).
    > Far as whs v2 beta update or new build, who knows. We all could guess,
    > but as I said with the v1 beta, "Those who don't know, guess. Those who
    > know laugh at the people who guess."
    > It would be nice to see at least one more beta build before v2 launch, but
    > as stable as v2 beta seems, I would not be surprised if we went directly
    > into production (with fixes included).

Friday, June 25, 2010 4:20 PM
  • Vail is far from ready for release to the public, unless they don�t want
    anyone to buy it. But... they released v1 before it was ready... and guess
    what, hardly anyone bought it! :)

--
    Art (artfudd) Folden

I'll ditto that, it is not close to being ready.

Hopefully the bugs submitted will be fixed & its released after that.

Another build would be nice to confirm if our bugs submitted were fixed.

Friday, June 25, 2010 7:22 PM
  • <HTML><HEAD></HEAD> <BODY>
    :)

Art=20 [artfudd] Folden
    --
    "Paul Adare [MVP]" wrote in message=20 news:microsoft.en-US.whsvailbeta!c06877c4-7257-47f1-abed-4f40faef8491@soc= ial.msdn.microsoft.com...

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 17:52:43 +0000, Barb Bowman [MVP] wrote:

The question was not directed at you, since you are not on the WHS = team.=20 I'm not
    an idiot. I understand the normal sources of=20 information.

Then you should also understand that the chances of getting any=20 official
    response to your original question from anyone from = Microsoft are=20 somewhere
    between slim to none, edging much closer to none.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca

<= /DIV>
    </BODY></HTML>

Friday, June 25, 2010 8:25 PM
  • Barb Bowman did make one wrong statement.  She is an idiot! And rude at that.   Keep up the good work Ken.
    Saturday, June 26, 2010 12:15 AM
  • People,

This forum is a great repository of knowledge and information.

I would think we all have a common goal of wanting to help make WHS version 2 a great product. Let's not let the forum degenerate into flame wars and personal attacks. This was all the rage awhile ago on Usenet, in fact probably still is, but I thought that maybe in this forum, with a common goal we should have progressed past that point.

There are always going to be some posts that will aggravate or annoy some people. Sometimes for valid reasons other times just because we are in the wrong frame of mind. Just ignore them or if the information is incorrect, give what you think is the correct answer without getting into character assasination. We can all make mistakes.

All I ask, as a relative newcomer to the forum, is that everyone thinks before typing!. Personal attacks are not wanted here.

Dave

Saturday, June 26, 2010 2:05 AM
  • Love a new build to come along soon, so many little niggling simple bugs which cause funny problems and would be relatively simple to fix (PST problem anyone?!), but as it is, I think it's fantastic the MS has released it for people, and as Ken has said, at least he is ready to replace his main WHS with the BETA build.

Sunday, June 27, 2010 2:02 PM
  • Love a new build to come along soon, so many little niggling simple bugs which cause funny problems and would be relatively simple to fix (PST problem anyone?!), but as it is, I think it's fantastic the MS has released it for people, and as Ken has said, at least he is ready to replace his main WHS with the BETA build.

Got that a little wrong. :)

I've already replaced (in one sense) my V1 server. The server that I use day-to-day is Vail, remote access (once we have power restored at home; three nights in a hotel so far, plus 3 days with a chainsaw... :P) is through Vail, etc. But my data, other than backups, goes first to V1, then through a set of robocopy scheduled tasks to Vail. There's a single exception to that; the data for a book/cd/video catalog database goes the other way. Hopefully that won't bite me any time soon.

Since I do regular backups of both servers and rotate those backups off site, that actually means I have 6 copies of everything. 

Sunday, June 27, 2010 2:11 PM