WGA informs me that my license key is VLK RRS feed

• Question

• Basically I bought a valid authentic Windows XP Professional CD last March and after the last update to the WGA tool I now see the error "you maybe the victim of fraud" and that my version installed has not passed validation. When I check for more information it says that the License Key is a VLK (Volume License Key) and that the key has been withdrawn, To say I am angry would be an understatement as I paid out over 70GBP for this CD (Hologram, COA book) OEM.
    The supplier doenst react to mails (of course not) so I am left stuck with a version of software that is authentic but unable to pass the WGA Validation test but I have a valid license key which is not VLK, Microsoft WGA department was a complete joke by just telling me to purchase another license for EUR140.

Personally I have paid enough already here to fork out another 90GBP, if this is the sort of treatment they give to customers who have purchased legitimate software I am not surprised there are so many using hacked versions.
    So how can I proceed now ??

Friday, January 4, 2008 4:36 PM

Answers

• XPConned,

Is there anyway you can open the Service Incident based on the instructions provided? Unfortunately I can't see the information within piracy report you filed so that is why I asked you to open the other information. In turn I was going to attempt further assistance along with the piracy report that is why I requested the information.

Take care,

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 6:58 PM

All replies

• XPConned,

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Step 3 is to navigate to the setupp.ini file in the \i386 folder of the CD you purchased.  This is a small text file with two sections.  Please cut and paste the second section into your response.

Step 4 is to look VERY closely at your CD, maybe using a magnifying glass.  Is the hologram embedded within the plastic of the CD or is it a label affixed to the top?  Is the inner band (encircling the center hole) embedded within the CD or is it a label affixed to the bottom surface?  Carefully using for example a small sharp pocket knife may help you ascertain whether these are labels affixed to the surface of the CD.

Friday, January 4, 2008 4:46 PM
  • Hi Dan

Step 1

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0066.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Geographically blocked PID
    Validation Code: 13
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-2487J-KWKMF-RPWBY
    Windows Product Key Hash: A6tqZpYlrSkfmUWcaNDswSdRpOo=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-8834005-23576
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {42988A96-B54B-4233-AA91-78E10DEF7B43}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.59.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 13
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.5
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-470-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe[5.1.2600.2180]
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\licdll.dll[5.1.2600.2180]
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll[5.1.2600.2180]
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\crypt32.dll[5.131.2600.2180]
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\advapi32.dll[5.1.2600.2180]
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\setupapi.dll[5.1.2600.2180]
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\oembios.bin[hr = 0x80070714]
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\oembios.dat[hr = 0x80070714]
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\oembios.sig[hr = 0x80070714]
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\syssetup.dll[5.1.2600.2180]

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{42988A96-B54B-4233-AA91-78E10DEF7B43}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0066.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-RPWBY</PKey><PID>55274-640-8834005-23576</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-343818398-1682526488-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>System Manufacturer</Manufacturer><Model>System Name</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Award Software, Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>ASUS A7V333-X ACPI BIOS Revision 1004</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20030429000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>A17C3E0F01842E79</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>W. Europe Standard Time(GMT+01:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Step 2

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

Windows XP Professional Edition 2002 + service pack 2

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

"OEM Software"

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

No ! Label identified according to your resource as a "small manufacturer pre-installed windows" green and blue appearance

Code E85-04148

00019-606-909-225

X11-45391

Lettering on the top = Proof of License Certificate of Authenticity

Windows@XP Professional OEM Software Versions 2002

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Step 3

Step 3 is to navigate to the setupp.ini file in the \i386 folder of the CD you purchased.  This is a small text file with two sections.  Please cut and paste the second section into your response.

[Pid]
    ExtraData=796674736977656D7A622E385892A4
    Pid=55274270

Step 4

Step 4 is to look VERY closely at your CD, maybe using a magnifying glass.  Is the hologram embedded within the plastic of the CD or is it a label affixed to the top?

Hologram is embedded into the CD

Is the inner band (encircling the center hole) embedded within the CD or is it a label affixed to the bottom surface? 

Also embedded

Carefully using for example a small sharp pocket knife may help you ascertain whether these are labels affixed to the surface of the CD.

They are , if labels were attached you could also see the thickness mismatch across the disk and holding it under a strong light see traces of transparency - but the actual disk itself is authentic.

Friday, January 4, 2008 9:50 PM
  • Hi XP Conned,

Couple more questions...

1.  Look at the last three groups of characters in Product Key on your CoA and compare to the partial Product Key being reported by the mgadiag utility.  Are they the same or different?

2.  Look on your CD:  Does it have "For Distribution with a New PC" imprinted in the hologram at the upper left, or does it have "Not for OEM or Retail Distribution" imprinted?  Or does it have a green silk screen that reads "Microsoft Licensing" and "Business Client"?

What we know so far:

1.  The installed XP Pro is a Volume Licening edition because the second set of numbers in the PID is "640."

2.  We know for sure that the installed license for XP is NOT an OEM license, because OEM would appear in the PID.

3.  The Product Key used to install this VL edition is "Geographically Blocked" which means that Microsoft and the actual owner of the Product Key have agreed to allow Microsoft to block usage of that product key when the computer onto which the PK is installed attempts to Validate with Microsoft from anywhere other than agreed to specific areas or regions of the world.

4.  The "bits" on your CD are Volume Licensing bits because the last three numbers of the PID value in the setupp.ini file are "270".  If the last three numerals are 270 or are in the range of 640-649, the CD is a VL CD.  An oEM CD would have the letters OEM in place of 270 or 640-649.

Your situation is somewhat similar to this recent thread:  http://forums.microsoft.com/genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2618084&SiteID=25  That person has the same PK as you.

Saturday, January 5, 2008 3:53 PM
  • Hi Dan

Thanks for the help here.... anyway answers to your questions

Q1
    Yes ! the serial key number differs from the WGA Report tool to whats actually printed on the Disk cover

Q2

It has "For Distribution with a New PC" imprinted in the hologram at the upper left along with several hologram images
    CD, Documents,people, Brief case etc

To answer  the Geographical question, I had bought the CD online from Ebay (www.ebay.co.uk) the E-Supplier has already sold more than 300 XP CDs all with the "Windows XP OEM with Service Pack 2" which I suspect will have to the 300 or so other buyers of this, as I wanted a UK version to install on my PC in Holland (being an expat it is just handy to have)

What is driving me nuts is the customer service shown by Microsoft when reporting this, from my own personal opinion they will not help if this is an OEM product and refer you back to the PC manufacturer but surely this company must know who is either selling in-correct licensed software to people who think are buying a genuine MS product !
    When you ask them for help, their reply to me was "perhaps you might get a free replacement or just a rejection letter"
    If I send them the media I have nothing to show for the 70GBP I have already laid out. They must also know who they have issued a Volume license too and if another user or company is exploiting this- Yeah I know I am banging on but really
    when they constantly whine about "pirated or counterfeit cds and software" its hardly surprising
     given their attitude to users who have bought in good faith the "Windows Genuine" Article

Sunday, January 6, 2008 6:11 PM
  •  

Hi Dan

Hopefully you can advise further as I have opened a "counterfeit software" claim with Microsoft and personally I do not like the idea of handing over all details and information that would lead to a successful prosecution just to receive a nice "free replacement software" Rejection email. Seems I am caught between a rock and a hard plate - pity you were not "Official Microsoft Support for WGA"  then you have all the information needed, what I have done is pasted the URL in all thier correspondence.

Monday, January 7, 2008 4:56 PM
  • A study of software sold on auction web sites, such as eBay, has revealed that over 50% of the software offered for sale is indeed counterfeit software.  I would never recommend purchasing software from an auction web site.  Doing so places the authenticity risk almost entirely on the buyer who would have little or no recourse.

Monday, January 7, 2008 7:13 PM
  • Good Morning XPconned,

I would really like to get a better understanding of this issue so we can better assist not only you but other users with similar problems as well.  Could you please submit a service request with Microsoft Product Support using the following link:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=52029.  Please include the following information if possible: 

- Your product key for (Office or Windows), 

-  Business location where purchased

-  Business Address where purchased

-  Phone number where purchased

-  Point of Contact @ the Business (if you had any)

-  If purchased on the internet please provide the website

-  What alias was the individual using online?

-  Provide us with your email address, telephone number and/or Cell number so we can reach you and provide you with   an update.

-  Did you purchase the computer brand new, used, @ an auction, off the internet or how?

-  Is the computer a commercial built system or was the system custom built by a local shop?

-  Do you have all the original software which was originally installed on the computer @ the time of purchase?

- Last has the computer ever been turned in for repairs if so please provide detailed information as above? 

Also please run the diagnostic test again for inclusion with the support incident. This will enable us to review current information after any changes you may have made. Once you have done that, please reply back to this post and provide the SR # generated by the service request.  I will work with you and provide this information you provide to my supervisor.  Please let us know if you would be willing to do this!!

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Monday, January 7, 2008 7:32 PM
  • Hi Carey

I totally agree with your view point - however when this was purchased I check this supplier out and he was legitimate - he has also supplied 300 other people as you can clearly see each of the transaction feedback.

What annoys me is that I went through the necessary checks before and the Windows XP software was validated by Microsoft 3 times since install and the error message I received was that Microsoft and the software mutually agreed to dissolve the VLK hence leaving all customers high and dry.

Monday, January 7, 2008 8:06 PM
  •  

HI Stephen

Sure I will co-operate - I have also opened 2 counterfeit alerts with Microsoft Support and collected all documentation necessary - but as mentioned the response I got from calling the MS Service line was a joke - as soon as he heard that the word OEM it was end of conversation, but I will open another call request this evening

Monday, January 7, 2008 8:09 PM
  • XPconned,

Please do this ASAP and provide me with all the information requested in my former post. This will help me help YOU. Actually if you have time now you can provide all the information in this venue here EXCEPT your personal contact information. This will allow me to start working on the case. Next you can open the SR tonight and then post back the number so I can open it and get all your contact information.  Thank you for taking the time and hopefully I can provide you with some resolution :-).

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, January 7, 2008 8:15 PM
  • Hi Stephen

Incident have already been opened for this

Counterfeit Report Number: 7UWJ-GQQZ (KMM9659724I84L0KM)

If this report is already created do I need to open a service report as I was acting on the instruction of the MS support team.

Thanks for your help ?? Most of the questions have been answered in the counterfeit report above the ones missed are below

- Your product key for (Office or Windows), 

Windows XP Professional

Provided in the Counterfeit Report listed above as well as WGAdiag

UK Mainland

Just have the reseller details

Provided in the Counterfeit Record

-  Did you purchase the computer brand new, used, @ an auction, off the internet or how?

PC was custom built

-  Is the computer a commercial built system or was the system custom built by a local shop?

PC was a custom build by me - hence why I wanted the full version of Windows XP Professional and not a restoreCD from a Dell or an HP Fujitsu. According to Dan the WGADiag has indeed confirmed that the version is a non OEM but full version

-  Do you have all the original software which was originally installed on the computer @ the time of purchase?

As PC was a custom build the OS Software was purchased as the belief was that the CD was the full version

as discovered by Dan and yes I have all the information, instruction manual, guide, license key (COA)

- Last has the computer ever been turned in for repairs if so please provide detailed information as above? 

No done them myself

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 12:14 PM
  • XPConned,

Is there anyway you can open the Service Incident based on the instructions provided? Unfortunately I can't see the information within piracy report you filed so that is why I asked you to open the other information. In turn I was going to attempt further assistance along with the piracy report that is why I requested the information.

Take care,

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 6:58 PM
  • Hi Stephen

Why am I not surprised when I try to create a report ?

An unknown application error occurred. Please try again in a few minutes.

That was the 8th time :-)

Wouldnt it be easier if I just emailed you all of the info ? If you supply your email address I could send it directly

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 12:03 AM
  • XPconned,

I apologize for what you are experiencing. There may be several people attempting to view that page.  Unfortunately I do not have an email address for you to reach me. Please provide detailed information for all questions below.  Previously you didn't provide detalied information such as actual name and website for where the software was purchased. Again I was trying to provide more assistance. You filed a piracy report and should hear back with further guidance/instructions. 

Your product key for (Office or Windows), 

--Only provide me with the last 15 digits of the product key

-- Please give exact name and country location

-- Do you know of an address or can you located this via their webpage?

-  Phone number where purchased

- This is important as there are many customers who purchase online please provide the company name and URL.

-  What alias was the individual using online when selling MS Products?  This would be prevelant if using various auctions sites.

Did you purchase the computer brand new, used, @ an auction, off the internet or how?

If built by the shop did you purchase the software from them and have them install.  If so what is the name of the shop

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 1:31 AM
  •  

Hi Stephen

Each time I try and attempt to create a Service Record comes up with an internal error has occured please try later

Anyway here is your information requested

Product key for Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2

XXXXX-XXXXX-F4VRQ-26MC6-67MGW

www.ebay.co.uk

Item Number          : 150098353231

Date of Purchase    : March 27th 2007

Payment               : 72,99 GBP

Seller                   : dans_ur_man_uk

Location               : All I have is Leeds, Yorkshire

-  Business Address where purchased

Leeds, Yorkshire

-  Phone number where purchased

N/A

Danny Mills

Email Address: dannymills100882@hotmail.co.uk

www.ebay.co.uk

-  What alias was the individual using online?

dans_ur_man_uk

There are a few more they are using, if I can update this incident I will include them

Advertised on Ebay and confirmed by seller as a full retail version

Custom built by me

Well this is the original as I had Windows XP Home edition but decided on an upgrade to Professional

Never has been

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 12:34 PM
  • Hi Stephen

I have tried now for the past 5 hours to create a Service Record and fails every time with the same message, if your support team has a mailbox I could send the rest of the information to you or if it is possible get a service report number from you.
    I have no idea why this will not work, perhaps the 300+ people on Ebay are also trying to log a call

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 3:01 PM
  • XPCONNED,

Thank you VERY much for providing the detailed information.  Also I apologize for the complications regarding the site. In turn I will seek guidance for a fix action regarding the site. Next I will work another path regarding the non-genuine copy you received. Also we may need to contact you and will work on this process. Thank you again :-).

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 4:16 PM
  •  

Hi Stephen

I will continue to try and create a Service Request as I do have a lot of information concerning this, and feel free to contact me,

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 4:29 PM
  • Hi,

Just wanting to provide a little extra info myself:-

I also have a problem with XP Pro, bought from this seller through ebay (Dans_ur_man_uk). Turns out that it was a high quality counterfeit (Holographic OEM CD, COA license, book etc - but labels stuck on, spelling mistakes everywhere, but at a glance it looked genuine, even activated o.k., but failed the WGA check)

Anyway, he has been selling hundreds of fake GHD hair straighteners and XP Professionals (or XP Profossional as the COA label states).

I've reported him to ebay and Paypal, as well as to Microsoft. Have so far had a reasonable result from Paypal, no response from Ebay, and Microsoft are looking inot it (hopefully I will be eligible to receive the free genuine replacement). I have forwarded the pack that I received to Microsoft and am just waiting to hear back from them.

However, I have now found that the sellers full postal address is "8 Melrose Walk, Leeds, West Yorkshire LS18 4DA" Thanks to my discussions with Paypal. It's a laugh though that they actually wanted me to return the fake to the seller - they even gave me his address. That was until I pointed out that I did not want to implicate myself in encouraging illegal activity by returning an illegal product to the guy I got it from so that he can either destroy it, or sell it to someone else, let alone stand no chance of getting him prosecuted.

I also took it upon myself to contact a few of his other customers from December 2007, and almost all of them replied to say that there's were fakes too, they all need help in how to move on from this, maybe Microsoft can work with ebay to contact all of his buyers and actually offer help to get them sorted out. Why should the buyers have to wait until it maybe shows up as not being genuine in a few months time, and then not knowing what to do with it to get it fixed. Afterall, it's bad enough being out of pocket like this, but if it's not reported to ebay within a few weeks, you don't have a chance to fix it through their site. All Microsoft need to do, is ask ebay to either contact the buyers for the past year or to provide a list of contacts for those buyers so that Microsoft can contact them directly, get them to check the products, and talk the buyers through the process. I'm pretty certain that every single item this guy is selling is counterfeit, I just hope that Microsoft manage to get him locked up.

Anyway, all I wanted to do was provide you with this criminals full address, as registered with Paypal.

Hope you get yours sorted out quickly and painlessly

Monday, January 14, 2008 12:27 AM
  •  

Hi Adam

Thanks for that information, with all the information that Microsoft has now I am sure something should come of it, and I hope that you too qualify for the "Real Version" from Microsoft.

The reaction from Ebay doesnt surprise me one bit as they always say that they are not responsible for the content and selling practices of its users, a typical answer by collecting their fee's and to hell with what happens afterwards.

What might be an idea for you should you wish to contact more of the "duped" buyers is copy the forum the link and just say read it, with posters such as Stephen I am sure would post the correct procedure to report their problems directly to Microsoft and for now I have to echoe also the posting "never buy software from an online auction site"

If the prices of the software was not so high people wouldnt need too, but its probably now twice as expensive if you buy copies without knowing it and have to spend another 70GBP just to get an official genuine cd.

Monday, January 14, 2008 12:01 PM
  • Hi Forum

Just to post an update in case we have other "dupped" victims of the Win XP scam on Ebay, basically Microsoft are now investigating the situation and request that anyone else that has dealt with the same seller on Ebay and has bought a very good counterfiet version of  Windows XP should create a service report or preferably "A counterfeit software" claim.

Most of the seller contact information has kindly been provided by Adam and basically if you have any chance of getting a "Genuine Microsoft CD" is to participate and report the seller otherwise you can kiss goodbye to your hard earned cash.

At least there is a 6 week wait for Microsoft to arrange a complimentary version as a replacement for you depending on the counterfeit quality you have sent and the amount of information provided.

Authentication Check

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/piracy/genuine/default.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/piracy/genuine/check-authenticity/default.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/default.aspx?displaylang=en-gb

Submit a "Suspect Piracy Report'

https://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/reports/report.aspx?displaylang=en-gb

The support teamwill then issue a WGA Report Number to you, including advice on how to proceed

Good Luck anyway

Friday, January 18, 2008 9:02 AM