Xamarin, Android & UWP: Where is the UI located? RRS feed

• Question

• I am a UWP developer and am working on learning Xamarin for the first time. I will be converting my UWP apps to Xamarin for Android & UWP (but not iOS). While trying to figure out how to create the UI, I noticed that the shared project included a MainPage.xaml file & the UWP project also contained a MainPage.xaml file, but the Android project did not contain a *.xaml file. I am aware that Xamarin is supposed to allow apps to share a UI, but all the stuff I could find related to the UI not only assumed that Xamarin was being used for an Android project & an iOS project, which is not my case. I am going to assume that the MainPage.xaml in the shared project is the shared UI. If this is the case, what is the MainPage.xaml in the UWP project? And where is the UI code that is specific for each project, and how do I connect them? With all the XAML that I used in my UWP apps (such as templates, user controls, etc.), I need to figure where to put what and what stuff will be shared & specific. To put it simply, I am having trouble figuring out the basic anatomy of Xamarin. Can anybody point me in the right direction to get started? Thanks.

Nathan Sokalski njsokalski@hotmail.com http://www.nathansokalski.com/

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 1:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Since your problem is more related to Xamarin, you can consider asking for help in the Xamarin forum.

you can also read related documentation and search for Xamarin tutorials.

Best regards.

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 1:53 AM