Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• After installing Windows Live One Care I cannot get any emails if I leave the firewall on. Turning the firewall off is the only way I can get my emails. Please help. 

Friday, May 16, 2008 1:31 PM

Answers

• Please contact support for help with this.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

There are two common reasons for this problem:

1. Running on Dynamic Disk partitions, which should no longer be a problem as OneCare 2.0 will not install if you have Dynamic Disks configured.

2. Other conflicting security software.

Outlook should be automatically allowed. Check that it didn't get blocked by looking at the advanced section of the Firewall settings.

-steve

Saturday, May 17, 2008 12:48 AM

All replies

• Please contact support for help with this.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

There are two common reasons for this problem:

1. Running on Dynamic Disk partitions, which should no longer be a problem as OneCare 2.0 will not install if you have Dynamic Disks configured.

2. Other conflicting security software.

Outlook should be automatically allowed. Check that it didn't get blocked by looking at the advanced section of the Firewall settings.

-steve

Saturday, May 17, 2008 12:48 AM
  • I had the same problem here as well.   More specifcally.  I have Onecare loaded on 5 Vista machines. On 1 of the 32 bit Vista installs, Onecare firewall blocked POP3 in Outlook 2007.  When I turned the firewall off, POP3 worked as it should.  I tried manually adding exceptions, runnning a fix patch and nothing would fix the problem.

I ended up doing a System Restore to before the Onecare installation and now my Email works properly on that specific machine.    
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 4:18 PM
  • ORCA Kuma said:

I had the same problem here as well.   More specifcally.  I have Onecare loaded on 5 Vista machines. On 1 of the 32 bit Vista installs, Onecare firewall blocked POP3 in Outlook 2007.  When I turned the firewall off, POP3 worked as it should.  I tried manually adding exceptions, runnning a fix patch and nothing would fix the problem.

I ended up doing a System Restore to before the Onecare installation and now my Email works properly on that specific machine.    

As this old thread indicated, the main reason for this is typically conflicting software. The other mentioned reason is no longer valid as OneCare will not install to a PC using Dynamic Partitions. Basically, if your PC was previously using security software that provided email scanning inbound/outbound, such as Norton Internet Security, that security software has not been completely removed or settings were left in place. NIS and similar programs that purport to scan email are doing so by inserting a proxy in the path used for email sending/receiving - it intercepts the traffic and scans before allowing it to proceed. When the OneCare firewall is on, it is blocking that activity even if the base email program is allowed network access, which Outlook is by default.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 4:42 PM