none
Multiple Home Server Issues RRS feed

• Question

• Let's start at the begging of the story.  It all started with 2 different problems.  Remote Access from the homepage wasn't working.  This stopped working after maybe 2 weeks of installing it so it wasn't that big of a deal.  But then it came too a time when I had to restore a backup.  Everytime I tried it kept failing.  When I tried to read the files in the backups it would give me the common freezing at 81%.  I have read on the board and am aware there is no way to solve this.  But because of these problems I decided to do a server reinstall.  

Server reinstall took 4 attempts for it to work.  It kept blue screening or rebooting.  After doing a lot of research I realized it was because my 1T hard drive wasn't being read properly.  So I disconnected it from the computer and hooked it up to another computer.  All files appeared to be intact.  Hooked it back up to the server but no go.  It would just be assigned a new letter.  (http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whshardware/thread/fb0a503e-b0b2-498d-9ab0-aec89474428f/?prof=required)

I figured what I would do at this point is disconnect the hard drive and try to remove it from the home server control panel.  It kept giving me errors when I tried to do it.  The issues were identical to this situation (http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/f15be65c-5c56-4505-8fa6-c2d9f119cc6a/).  So I tried to follow the instructions for this one.  

I first tried the utility created by the other user.  This at least got rid of all the dead pointers so I knew what files were on the server and what was on the 1T drive but it still wouldn't remove.  I then came across another issue identical to mine where they suggested to be a new 1T drive and add it to server.  I did as it suggested but it still wouldn't allow me to remove it from the console.  

My next step would be to remove the backup 1T drive from the windows home server console.  My plan was to backup all files to this backup hard drive and then do a server install.  Now it won't let me remove this drive from the server storage.  It says "There is not enough remaining space on your home server to safely remove this hard drive".  I popped out the drive and put it into my other computer and noticed that there was nothing it (There shouldn't be anything on it).

I then tried to do what the onscreen message told me to do.  I cleared up some space (about 50 gigs) and also turned off duplication.  Still wouldn't remove the drive.  So I am not able to assign this drive a new drive letter without tricking the console (which is something I don't know how to do).  

So I figured I would cheat the system.  I have decided to take the 1T backup, that has no data on it, and reformat it from another computer.  That was successful.  My plan was then to take each of the hard drives out of the server (750MB approximately) and copy it all to the 1T hard drive via the other computer.  But every file I tried to copy over I got errors saying that the file could not be read.  I have no idea what this is.  The only option I can think of at this point is to move all the files over to the backup hard drive via network (but this is a painstakingly excruciating process.  Anyone else have any ideas how I might accomplish the task of backing up the files onto this 1T drive to prepare for a new server installation? 
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 9:05 AM

Answers

• I would advise you to

1. Disconnect and remove all drives from your homeserver.
    2. Mount each of the drives another system and check each of the disks by running chkdsk /r from a command prompt
    3. The second (DATA) partition of your current system disk should contain a hidden folder "DE". Copy all data stored in the shares subfolder to a save location
    4. Mount the original system disk in your homeserver, do a clean install
    5. Add an empty data disk (add to the storage pool)
    6a. Connect an old data disk to your homeserver (DO NOT ADD TO THE STORAGE POOL)
    6b. Logon to your homeserver (remote desktop is OK)
    6c. Open explorer window, browse to the old data disk, the disk should contain a hidden folder "DE".
    6d. Copy all the contents of the shares subfolders to the appropriate shares (using the "shares"  shortcut on the server desktop)
    7. repeat 6a-6d for all of your old data disks.
    8. Copy/ move from item 3. above to the appropriate shares

Please note, you will loose current client backups with this procedure. Also please have look at the FAQ How to recover data after server failure. This will only work if the disks are still OK and the files are not corrupted. If there's hardware issue with one of the disks you may not be able to recover the files yourself. If you really need the data on the disk you can contact a professional data recovery company.
    • Marked as answer by Ilan Silver Friday, September 18, 2009 1:19 AM
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 10:07 AM

All replies

• I would advise you to

1. Disconnect and remove all drives from your homeserver.
    2. Mount each of the drives another system and check each of the disks by running chkdsk /r from a command prompt
    3. The second (DATA) partition of your current system disk should contain a hidden folder "DE". Copy all data stored in the shares subfolder to a save location
    4. Mount the original system disk in your homeserver, do a clean install
    5. Add an empty data disk (add to the storage pool)
    6a. Connect an old data disk to your homeserver (DO NOT ADD TO THE STORAGE POOL)
    6b. Logon to your homeserver (remote desktop is OK)
    6c. Open explorer window, browse to the old data disk, the disk should contain a hidden folder "DE".
    6d. Copy all the contents of the shares subfolders to the appropriate shares (using the "shares"  shortcut on the server desktop)
    7. repeat 6a-6d for all of your old data disks.
    8. Copy/ move from item 3. above to the appropriate shares

Please note, you will loose current client backups with this procedure. Also please have look at the FAQ How to recover data after server failure. This will only work if the disks are still OK and the files are not corrupted. If there's hardware issue with one of the disks you may not be able to recover the files yourself. If you really need the data on the disk you can contact a professional data recovery company.
    • Marked as answer by Ilan Silver Friday, September 18, 2009 1:19 AM
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 10:07 AM
  • I want to do that but where things get held up is in step 3.  It won't let me copy all the data stored on the shares to a save location.  It keeps telling me that an unknown error is occurring with every file.  It seems to create the folders without any trouble.  The only way I am able to move this information over is when the hard drive is in the server.  The computer I was using to try to swap the hard drives into was a Vista machine.  
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 10:42 AM
  • I want to do that but where things get held up is in step 3.  It won't let me copy all the data stored on the shares to a save location.  It keeps telling me that an unknown error is occurring with every file.  It seems to create the folders without any trouble.  The only way I am able to move this information over is when the hard drive is in the server.  The computer I was using to try to swap the hard drives into was a Vista machine.  
    Just to make sure you're doing the right thing,

You should copy the data from the folder X:\DE\shares, not X:\shares (X represents the drive letter assigned to the data partition of the system disk).

You to need enable "view hidden files and folders"  (for Vista, Control Panel, Folder Options, View Tab) on the client machine you are using to view the hidden DE folder.
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 11:08 AM
  • I was doing the right thing but my eyes were deceiving me.  I was using Vista and I guess when copying over large amounts of data it doesn't give you a proper display.  It said it was transferring at 100bytes/sec.  However when I looked at the hard drive during this transfer it was transferring at a much greater speed.  I showing files moving super fast.  The second time it also didn't give me any errors which was strange.  

I think this is going to be the thing I need to do to get my server back up to full capacity.  I plan on writing a massive message explaining my work and thanking everyone here for such great support.  
    Friday, September 18, 2009 1:18 AM