Disk performance poor compared to WHS v1 RRS feed

• General discussion

• In WHS v1 I get 89-98 MB/s when copying files to WHS v1 over the network from a client computer.  From the same client computer with the same files I get 18-20 MB/s when copying to Vail (8-16 refresh).

Chipset in WHS v1 and Vail are the same.  Hardrives are same brand in both.  (Both using WD green 500G as system discs, and both using WD green 1-2TB drives in storage pool.)  The storge pool drives in the Vail system are advanced format drives.  I read elsewhere on the forums that vail supports advance format drives.  However, even with the single 500G drive, which is not an advance format drive, before I added the other drives to the pool, I was still only getting 18-20 MB/s on the Vail system.  Both systems using nForce SATA contoller. (With NVIDIA drivers)

What gives?  Shouldn't Vail at least give similar performance to WHS v1?

Any thoughts....??

Thanks,

Rue

• Changed type Baringer Wednesday, September 22, 2010 3:10 AM more appropriate
    Saturday, September 18, 2010 7:41 PM

All replies

• Yes I totally concur with you I get almost exactly the same numbers as you with WHS1, Vail and Vail Refresh.  The Transfer rate of 8-12mbs in Vail refresh is making moving TB’s of data painfully slow.

I have installed the hotfix recommended after the install of vail as I have 10TB storage with around 6TB data with duplication on.

I am still getting very  low speeds of 15mbs even copying from esata or USB directly attached Storage.

Saturday, September 18, 2010 8:24 PM
  • New Install of Vail 2011 and I'm getting the same issue.  I notice some transfers stop all together, I think a reboot may have fixed that problem.  I have shadow copies off.  Any other tweaking I can do?  My 1Gb network seems okay. I'm getting 60-98MB transferring from other pc's.  Lucky to get 10MB with Vail.

I use to get 60MB transfer rates with previous vail beta.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 4:42 PM
  • I get just over 100MB/sec copying from a Windows 7 client to WHS2011. This is for a single large file (the installation .iso), a GB LAN and a Western Digital 2GB EARS HDD on the server.
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 4:53 PM
  • I agree. When streaming music concerts from Vail to a win7 box it suddenly stops and goes on several times during the concert, WHS1 no problem. Both DELL T3400
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 6:57 PM
  • Weird, because I get faster network speeds in vail.  I couldn't get over 60MB/sec on my WHS 1 but after putting vail on it I get over 100MB often.  To and from the server.  I would suggest updating drivers or trying a different network card?  Home Server 2011 does not use any drive extender so it has no unique file system or processes in the background related to data like WHS1.  So it should be faster.  In fact, RC is faster for me then the last beta release.
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 11:46 PM
  • More testing, transfering files in and out of Vail painfully slow, tried two different nic cards....same resault.

Transferring files within HD's in Vail is fine.  Exact same hardware as before.  Will play around with it some more, may reinstall for the heck of it.

Thursday, February 10, 2011 12:37 AM
  • Puzzling.  WHS 2011 is super fast over my gigabit network.  over 100mb/s.  
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 7:48 PM