none
EIST RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm trying to get my server to consume less power by running eist. 

I have it enabled in the bios, the cpu is a 2140 so there shouldn't be a problem.  But I have read to enable it, you need to select minimal power management in the control panel.  I don't have this option!  All I have are normal xp ones such as Home/Office, Portable/Laptop and Max Battery and one whs one (it seems) Server Balanced Power and Performance, no minimal.

I've never run an eist proc before but I assume as for C&C, it would show a lower proc speed when in system properties page?

Can any one suggest what to do?  Sorry if this should be in another forum but I think it's partly hardware?!

Thanks

Friday, February 15, 2008 2:24 PM

All replies

• The selection 'Server Balanced Power & Performance', is the one installed by the AMD driver software. It is the one to select, as it will then allow the driver to modulate the power to performance, i.e. if there is nothing happening, the speed will reduce. The system properties page won't show the actual processor speed, only the theoretical (model) speed. AMD has a small program (processor monitor?) which will show the actual speed.

Colin

Friday, February 15, 2008 6:07 PM
  •  

Sorry, should have made it clearer, I have an Intel 2140 Smile

What I should have explained a but better is that my experience with amd showed a reduced cpu speed in the system property page without any other software, I'm just expecting Intel to be the same but mabe I am wrong?

Thanks for the reply

Friday, February 15, 2008 8:46 PM
  • You can use the utility cpu-z http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php to check cpu muliplier, throttling, VID and Vdroop for your processor as it steps up and down.  My Tyan MB allowed EIST multiplier changes, but was not using the voltage change capability.  Dropping VID (and hopefully actual voltage too) will yield a much greater power reduction than using the multiplier alone.  So keep an eye on those voltages to ensure EIST is working fully under your BIOS settings.  If your MB is not changing CPU voltage, you can use a utility called RMClock http://cpu.rightmark.org/products/rmclock.shtml to take control of EIST.  It works great for me and had a dramatic reduction in cpu wattage once cpu voltages were reduced along with the multipliers.  I especially like RMClock's monitoring graphs of cpu usage and voltages to determine which WHS activities are loading the system.

Monday, February 18, 2008 2:53 PM
  • Right, thanks for these ideas.  I will try them over the next few days

Thanks very much for the links/tips

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 8:36 AM