Could I use this config? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

Could anyone tell me if I could use the config listed on this page with WHS:
    http://www.transtec.ch/CH/D/products/personal_computer/pc/mini_pc.html?mod=prod&name=SY600WCA45-B

It uses a lot of notebook components, which is why I'm worried (I will upgrade the HD the a 120gb model of course)

thanks i.a.!

Chris
    Tuesday, November 6, 2007 8:43 AM

Answers

• hi

You could use that, but be aware it doesnt look very expandable so if you want to add drives, they will need to be external, and you only have 2 USB ports (by the look of it). With only one drive you wont be able to use folder replication so your shared data would be at risk of a drive failure.

Andrew

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 9:45 AM
  • I'll warn you that using a USB hub will kill performance. All the devices connected to a USB controller must share the available bandwidth. Putting multiple hard drives on a controller by going through a hub wil mean that you'll never see more than a fraction of the throughput you would normally expect...
    Tuesday, November 6, 2007 12:14 PM

All replies

• hi

You could use that, but be aware it doesnt look very expandable so if you want to add drives, they will need to be external, and you only have 2 USB ports (by the look of it). With only one drive you wont be able to use folder replication so your shared data would be at risk of a drive failure.

Andrew

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 9:45 AM
  • Hello

Thanks for your quick answer.

Yes, I'm aware of that. I think it has even 4 USB ports btw, but even if it doesn't it wouldn't make much of a difference, since I was planning on expanding the available ports by adding an USB hub anyway.
    I just need something small & silent and don't really care too much about speed, plus I don't really trust folder replication. I'd rather use WHS with its virtual JBOD functionality and use one or more external and non-assimilated HDs for backup. As long as the shared folder is only ONE drive I don't care if the backup is on more than one.

I'm pretty afraid of screwing my data if I only use folder replication and the system disk fails. I'd rather have my data backed up on a "normal disk", making it easier and faster to rebuild the sys in case of a failure.

thanks!

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 10:31 AM
  • I'll warn you that using a USB hub will kill performance. All the devices connected to a USB controller must share the available bandwidth. Putting multiple hard drives on a controller by going through a hub wil mean that you'll never see more than a fraction of the throughput you would normally expect...
    Tuesday, November 6, 2007 12:14 PM
  • Hmm ok I would have to reconsider it then

Do you think it would copy a large file with less than say 10 mbytes/second? I get about 15mbyte/sec when copying a file from my usb disk to the host
    Tuesday, November 6, 2007 12:17 PM
  • It would depend on what's connected to the motherboard USB controller. If there are multiple disk drives connected (through a hub or to other USB ports on the same controller) then it's possible that you could see 10 MB/s or less. You'd have to try it to find out for sure in your environment, though.
    Wednesday, November 7, 2007 3:58 AM