Graphical Workflow Editor RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Our Client is considering the use of Microsoft Dynamics 4.0 for the Management of his Business Processes. He has got several hundreth processes (eg. Credit Approval, Risk Assessment, etc.) all with complexities from 10 to 50 different states.

Although I understand and like the power and flexibility of the CRM workflow editor, I find it somewhat cumbersome for the creation of many-stage-workflows. For example. designing a credit approval process with 10 different stages and several conditions to jump from one stage to the other, will end up in a complicated and unflexible chunk of pseudo-code. A) Understanding the flow of the workflow isn't straightforward due to the instructional nature of the editor. B) Modifying the flow of the workflow (eg inserting a new condition somewhere in-between) isn't possible.

Are there alternatives? Are there any graphical workflow editors (something like Visio) that would allow me design my processes in a better editor than the CRM 4.0 workflow editor?

manuel_altermatt@hotmail.com
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 3:55 PM

Answers

• By "'can i insert some condition in between" I meant that I can't select a couple of instructions in my workflow and then surround them for example with a check condition. You see, I can very well insert a check condition *before* or *after* my instructions, but as far as I know, you can't surround a couple of instructions with a condition, right?

Regarding above, Yes u can insert multiple statemetns inside the check cnodition, just select the previous statment you have selected and then insert another statement means block. Unfornately, UI is a bit restricted, you cannot select multiple  conditon and surround them under on check condition, but one check condition can have multiple statements under them, if you insert them one by one in order.

Similar, you can't remove just the check condition and leave the instructions inside there, right? If you delete the check condition, you'll also delete all the instructions inside.
    Yeah, this is not possible, it would been great, had the allowed moving the blocks from inside the UI editor.
    http://malikhan.wordpress.com/
    Monday, February 22, 2010 8:04 AM
  • “Since working with MSCRM 4.0 workflow designer seems to be hard for some of the users and as a result causes them to delay the process of designing a workflow as much as possible, Coriolis Company has come up with the idea of simplifying this process. So Coriolis Graphical workflow designer has tried it’s best to communicate with the user in more user-friendly way. Regarding the features it’s enough to mention below capabilities:

·          Adding or deleting steps without changing other steps.

·          Deleting relationship between steps without affecting other existing relations.

·          Cloning steps whenever/wherever needed.

·          GWD supports Microsoft Dynamics CRM in different languages.

·          Having a user- friendly environment.

·          Having all of the menus and application of the Microsoft Dynamics CRM workflow.

If you would like to see the above features for yourself and feel the difference, simply go to our website and download the trial version. We are awaiting your feedbacks.”

Regards,

• Proposed as answer by shohoudi Tuesday, May 31, 2011 12:03 PM
    • Marked as answer by Manuel Altermatt Wednesday, June 1, 2011 7:13 PM
    Sunday, April 10, 2011 5:43 AM

All replies

• Hi Manuel,
    Yes you are right for simple workflow with few steps, the normal designer of the Workflow will work gr8. but if the workflow become complex then it can become messy. so i will suggest you to do the following.

1) You can divide your workflows into many sub workflows and then call these child workflows from the main workflow. This way the logic is divided in different workflows and you have one centerialized workflow controlling the flow of the logic.

Secondly, regarding your question, 'can i insert some condition in between?', yes you can, against each step you can select the step and select whether you want the condition to insert before or after teh selected step.

2) your other option is to use Visual Studio 2005, here you can take the advantage of the WWF designer and create more powerful workflows in much easier way. Offcourse the headache of Custom development is there.

Regarding your question of Visio, unfornately, to my knowledge, Visio(2010 or 2007) doesn't support workflows with CRM 4, it does support workflows for SharePoint 2010 though. I  hope the MS CRM team is reading this and then can allow us to create MS CRM workflows in visio for CRM 5.

i hope it clears some of your confusion.
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 4:19 PM
  • Hi Manuel,
    Only one powerfull and acceptable for business solution it can be K2 Blackpearl: http://www.k2.com/en/blackpearl.aspx
    You may design workflow based on the GUI and you can use it in Dynamics CRM (check this article) :

http://k2underground.com/blogs/rambleon/archive/2008/10/03/k2-blackpearl-microsoft-dynamics-crm-4-integration-chapter-0.aspx

This solution it's extension for Workflow Foundation (WWF). Microsoft Dynamics CRM Workflow is part of WWF.
    My Dynamics CRM Blog: http://bovoweb.blogspot.com
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 6:10 PM
  • Muhammad,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I guess breaking up the workflow in different sub workflows is indeed a good approach. Never stray too far away from the out-of-the-box functinoality!

By "'can i insert some condition in between" I meant that I can't select a couple of instructions in my workflow and then surround them for example with a check condition. You see, I can very well insert a check condition *before* or *after* my instructions, but as far as I know, you can't surround a couple of instructions with a condition, right? Similar, you can't remove just the check condition and leave the instructions inside there, right? If you delete the check condition, you'll also delete all the instructions inside.

I'll also take a look at Visual Studio. May be worth a look.

Thanks a great blog by the way ! !

Manuel

Sunday, February 21, 2010 7:24 PM
  • kgorczewski,

Thanks so much for your quick answer. I'll take a look at this tool first thing in the morning. I also came across this page. Have heard of this tool? Seems to be something similar than k2's solution.

http://www.pnmsoft.com/bpm_for_microsoft_crm.aspx

Thanks
    Manuel
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 7:26 PM

• By "'can i insert some condition in between" I meant that I can't select a couple of instructions in my workflow and then surround them for example with a check condition. You see, I can very well insert a check condition *before* or *after* my instructions, but as far as I know, you can't surround a couple of instructions with a condition, right?

Regarding above, Yes u can insert multiple statemetns inside the check cnodition, just select the previous statment you have selected and then insert another statement means block. Unfornately, UI is a bit restricted, you cannot select multiple  conditon and surround them under on check condition, but one check condition can have multiple statements under them, if you insert them one by one in order.

Similar, you can't remove just the check condition and leave the instructions inside there, right? If you delete the check condition, you'll also delete all the instructions inside.
    Yeah, this is not possible, it would been great, had the allowed moving the blocks from inside the UI editor.
    Monday, February 22, 2010 8:04 AM
  • “Since working with MSCRM 4.0 workflow designer seems to be hard for some of the users and as a result causes them to delay the process of designing a workflow as much as possible, Coriolis Company has come up with the idea of simplifying this process. So Coriolis Graphical workflow designer has tried it’s best to communicate with the user in more user-friendly way. Regarding the features it’s enough to mention below capabilities:

·          Adding or deleting steps without changing other steps.

·          Deleting relationship between steps without affecting other existing relations.

·          Cloning steps whenever/wherever needed.

·          GWD supports Microsoft Dynamics CRM in different languages.

·          Having a user- friendly environment.

·          Having all of the menus and application of the Microsoft Dynamics CRM workflow.

If you would like to see the above features for yourself and feel the difference, simply go to our website and download the trial version. We are awaiting your feedbacks.”

Regards,

• Proposed as answer by shohoudi Tuesday, May 31, 2011 12:03 PM
    • Marked as answer by Manuel Altermatt Wednesday, June 1, 2011 7:13 PM
    Sunday, April 10, 2011 5:43 AM
  • Hooray , New Graphical Workflow Viewer with amazing feature has just arrived.

I have tried it & it is wonderful.

To test it , refer to below website .

I am sure you will like it.

http://www.mscrm-tools.com

Saturday, June 16, 2012 6:34 AM
  • Graphical Workflow Designer (Released on Sep. 6, 2012) (www.mscrm-tools.com)

Graphical Workflow Designer is a powerful, flexible and web- based tool which not only has all the capabilities of the GWV but also offers you the below features:

• Create new workflows and Dialogs.

• Add new steps to workflows and dialogs.

• Delete steps without changing other steps.

• Delete relations without affecting other relations.

• Change properties of the steps and save those changes.

• Clone existing workflows and dialogs.

• Has a user- friendly environment.

Get Latest Version 

farid shohoudi

• Edited by shohoudi Friday, September 7, 2012 1:43 PM
    Friday, September 7, 2012 1:42 PM
  • This is an excellent tool , but I am trying to contact this company but unable to reach them . Can any one help me .
    Sunday, March 16, 2014 7:29 AM
  • Hi Vishal,

Another product worth checking is AgileXRM. It uses Visio for modelling the workflows and dialogs.

Admin QuikView Solution for CRM 2013

Monday, March 17, 2014 9:39 PM