Loosing more webpages from Live Search's index RRS feed

• Question

• Homepage www.file-extension.com still not indexed, although we have a 302 (used 301 originally) redirect from the non-www too. Moreover it seems we are loosing more and more www.webpages by the day, now down to something around the 40 figure.

Is it normal that one of our Top Backlinks is file-extension.com (the non-www version of same website)?

Any insight about this matter will be appreciated, thanks.
    Thursday, February 7, 2008 8:45 AM

Answers

• Hi Maltablue,

I've just viewed your website, personally i would suggest you to organize your site in a manner that every page is linked to one another, this will help bots to crawl your site easily and find all the useful information from your site.

Let say if i go to the page:

http://www.file-extension.com/scan/registry/

What is the way to go back other than clicking the browser Back button..?? but oh Bot doesn't know that ! Probably bot like Live bot will end up there, So if you provide a link that points to some page of your website will help in better navigation.

Seconly you've not used proper meta keywords in your pages, reducing the chances of hits to your pages. Write the keywords that matches the page's content, recommended keywords per page are 30.

Lastly, a good Sitemap will help bots reveal more pages, specially a Live Bot.

Hope it will help you.

Saturday, April 26, 2008 10:14 PM

All replies

• Just to record changes ...

From 40 we now have around 150 web pages in the index. Although still very far from indexing the whole website, I guess it's an improvement. Will also try implementing a sitemap hoping it helps.

Seems 301/302 redirects are still not followed and what confuses me, is why our homepage FILE-EXTENSION.COM is still showing on Live Search results instead of http://www.file-extension.com/files/DLL/ (for example) for the same search term it used to rank till we had this non-www and www issues.

Kinda www webpages put aside and non-www HOMEPAGE took over Stick out tongue
    Thursday, February 14, 2008 2:53 PM
  • The terms for non-www in the webmaster industry is "Canonical" or "CNAME". Just thought I'd offer that bit of useless info.

My site has something similar but different happening. 2 seperate homepages indexed for different keyterms. Both are www versions but the one that shouldn't be showing is the last index from 1/17/08 crawl. Now I have that page and the 2/15/2008 indexed version which is different content. Screws with the serps.

Any ideas on how to assist Live Search index bots to banish the old index and retain the new indexed homepage? It will be greatly appreciated.

Sunday, February 17, 2008 11:12 PM
  • Hi Maltablue,

I've just viewed your website, personally i would suggest you to organize your site in a manner that every page is linked to one another, this will help bots to crawl your site easily and find all the useful information from your site.

Let say if i go to the page:

http://www.file-extension.com/scan/registry/

What is the way to go back other than clicking the browser Back button..?? but oh Bot doesn't know that ! Probably bot like Live bot will end up there, So if you provide a link that points to some page of your website will help in better navigation.

Seconly you've not used proper meta keywords in your pages, reducing the chances of hits to your pages. Write the keywords that matches the page's content, recommended keywords per page are 30.

Lastly, a good Sitemap will help bots reveal more pages, specially a Live Bot.

Hope it will help you.

Saturday, April 26, 2008 10:14 PM