Do I need to re-install? RRS feed

• Question

• I installed the OEM version of Windows Home server on a bunch old hardware I had lying around.  As of late, the stability of the system has dramatically gone down hill to the point where I'm going to gut the system and upgrade the motherboard, memory, and processor.  My question is, what is the best process for moving my Windows Home Server installation to the new hardware?

Is a re-installation on a clean system drive my best (and only) option?  Or is there a simple, proven method of replacing the hardware underneath my current installation?  Any other considerations for preserving the data on my other disks?

Thanks.
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 4:20 AM

Answers

• The easiest way to deal with your system stability issues will be to replace the parts you've mentioned, move all of your drives to the new hardware, make sure your system drive is still going to be the first drive presented by the BIOS, and do a server reinstallation. As long as all of your drives are visible to Windows Home Server setup, you should be offered reinstallation as an option, in addition to a new installation, on the screen where you're asked what kind of installation you want to do.

If you're not given the option, double check that all your drives are visible, and that your old system drive is still being seen as the system drive.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 5:18 AM

All replies

• The easiest way to deal with your system stability issues will be to replace the parts you've mentioned, move all of your drives to the new hardware, make sure your system drive is still going to be the first drive presented by the BIOS, and do a server reinstallation. As long as all of your drives are visible to Windows Home Server setup, you should be offered reinstallation as an option, in addition to a new installation, on the screen where you're asked what kind of installation you want to do.

If you're not given the option, double check that all your drives are visible, and that your old system drive is still being seen as the system drive.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 5:18 AM
  • Sometimes the system also boots up and you can install the missing drivers.
    This can happen, if the chipset, the processor and the mass storage controller are in the same family (the mass storage controller should be set identically, i.e. to IDE mode on both the old and new system and the system disk attached to the first port). Since old drivers may have side effects, which are not obvious, a server reinstall is usually the better way.
    If all goes wrong (system does not boot, server reinstall is not offered) you may wish to read the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.
    Or create a backup of all shared folders with the integrated backup of the server to an external disk, restore this backup to the new installed and fully patched server and after that perform fresh backups from the clients.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 1:38 PM
  • Ken/Olaf,

Thank you for your responses.  My new hardware is on the way and I should have it by the weekend.  I'll let you know how it turns out.
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 1:50 PM
  • It appears that after I have installed all my new hardware, and began the installation process, it offered the Server Restore, as expected.  One thing that caught me by surprise is that it indicated the following:

Server Restore

Choose this option to restore your Windows Home Server if your primary hard drive fails.

IMPORTANT: Your installed programs, settings, Computer Backups, and unduplicated Shared Folder content will be lost.

Does anyone know if I will truly lose data, or if I just need to recreate my shares and move the data back in?

Also, I still have my original hard drive that my system was built on...is there any configurations that can be copied to my new system to prevent any data loss?

Thank you.
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 11:56 PM
  • It appears that after I have installed all my new hardware, and began the installation process, it offered the Server Restore, as expected.  One thing that caught me by surprise is that it indicated the following:

Server Restore

Choose this option to restore your Windows Home Server if your primary hard drive fails.

IMPORTANT: Your installed programs, settings, Computer Backups, and unduplicated Shared Folder content will be lost.

Does anyone know if I will truly lose data, or if I just need to recreate my shares and move the data back in?

Also, I still have my original hard drive that my system was built on...is there any configurations that can be copied to my new system to prevent any data loss?

Thank you.

The reason you got that message is because you changed out your primary hard drive (which you never mentioned before).  It thinks your hard drive failed because it can't find it.  If there is nothing wrong with your original primary hard drive (no CRC errors, bad blocks, etc), I would suggest you put it back in your server and continue to use it as your primary drive.  (If you're lucky, you may not even have to reinstall WHS.)

Otherwise, you can select Server Restore, then connect your old primary drive to a client (do not connect it back to the server) and copy your data from the client back to the server.  The data on that drive will be in a hidden folder called DE.
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 1:05 AM
  • Perfect, thanks for the input.  Yes, my old drive used has bad blocks, so I replaced that along side the motherboard, memory and processor.  I'll try the restore, and attach the old drive to another PC and copy it up to the home server.
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 1:30 AM