Install errors/Hardware questions RRS feed

• Question

• I'm installing WHS on a 80gb SSD and have 4 2tb hard drives installed (Raid 10 using an Adaptec controller) I get the following error.   "Creating volume Failed:Catastrophic Failure (error code 0x8000ffff)

The  SSD shows healthy 20gb  and 54gb partions and the raid shows up as a healthy 3725gb drive

Any suggestions?

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 5:45 PM

All replies

• There should be no raid used for WHS.
    Btw, SSD for WHS? Could be me, but for client (Windows 7) it's ok (as long as it has TRIM support) !. But for WHS.. WHS boots... and then does  nothing of where SSD is good in...

"brp068" wrote in message news:7f730251-8e5f-403e-b5f4-ccc4bc93937a@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I'm installing WHS on a 80gb SSD and have 4 2tb hard drives installed (Raid 10 using an Adaptec controller) I get the following error. "Creating volume Failed:Catastrophic Failure (error code 0x8000ffff)

The SSD shows healthy 20gb and 54gb partions and the raid shows up as a healthy 3725gb drive

Any suggestions?

Have a nice day!
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 8:27 PM
  • We need more information to help you. A couple of random thoughts:

• Are you supplying appropriate drivers for your RAID array at the appropriate time(s)?
    • Have you configured the array with one or more volumes before you start installation?

Note that using RAID in Windows Home Server computers isn't supported. Usually, it works fine, but Microsoft doesn't test such configurations, and doesn't recommend RAID as a storage technology for this product. You will be best off just letting Windows Home Server manage your storage for you.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 8:30 PM
  • Don't laugh but the SSD was sitting there taking up space so I used it.  I disconnected the raid card and it installed without any errors. Thanks
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 10:06 PM
  • I disconnect the raid card and WHS installed without errors.  The array was configured as raid 10, so I assume that it was set up with the stripe and the mirror. (This is my first attempt at a server or a raid so I'm learning as I go-which might explain SOME of my ignorance...)  anyway it showed up at a 4tb volume.

Can I re-install the raid card now that I have the server software installed?  And can I point the server to back up my computers to the raid volume and let the card take care of the redundancy?

Thanks for your input!

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 10:12 PM
  • If WHS has the proper drivers and sees the disk as one volume (which is only useful up to 2 TB size) I would say you can. WHS does not support larger than 2 TB volume size, which may be the reason for the failure.

The problems will appear if you ever have to perform a server reinstall, since Windows Home Server does not support RAID configurations. Recomended is not to use RAID but instead folder duplication of WHS.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 8:48 AM
  • Good to read it works now.

the SSD was sitting there taking up space

I  love to trade it in for a brand new 1.5 GB HDD that is taking space here ;-)

"brp068" wrote in message news:7cbfa26c-5dc1-4bc9-b83c-c89ddc437f92@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Don't laugh but the SSD was sitting there taking up space so I used it. I disconnected the raid card and it installed without any errors. Thanks

Have a nice day!
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 10:29 AM