Number of songs in the Media Library doesn't match the number of songs in the Music shared folder. RRS feed

• Question

• When I connect to any of my remote computers in order to stream music from the Vail server, the number of songs available for music streaming is only about 1/3 of the total number of songs that are in the server's shared folder for Music. I tried deleting them all, which correctly brought the count available for streaming down to zero. But when I copy all [roughly] 60,000 songs in their folders by artist and album back into the shared folder for Music again, the number available for streaming still pegs at exactly the same number (in this case, 18,571 songs).

Have I run into a true limit, or is this just a matter of the song count for streaming somehow getting out of synch with the actual file count?

Need a fix.

Monday, August 16, 2010 3:49 PM

Answers

• When I connect to any of my remote computers in order to stream music from the Vail server, the number of songs available for music streaming is only about 1/3 of the total number of songs that are in the server's shared folder for Music. I tried deleting them all, which correctly brought the count available for streaming down to zero. But when I copy all [roughly] 60,000 songs in their folders by artist and album back into the shared folder for Music again, the number available for streaming still pegs at exactly the same number (in this case, 18,571 songs).

Have I run into a true limit, or is this just a matter of the song count for streaming somehow getting out of synch with the actual file count?

Need a fix.

First, you should file a bug report on Connect.

Once you've done that, have you tried disabling media streaming, then re-enabling it again (perhaps even with a reboot of the server in between those steps)?

Monday, August 16, 2010 4:07 PM

All replies

Need a fix.

First, you should file a bug report on Connect.

Once you've done that, have you tried disabling media streaming, then re-enabling it again (perhaps even with a reboot of the server in between those steps)?

Monday, August 16, 2010 4:07 PM
  • When this happened to me, I first had to run Windows Media Player on the client computer and allowed all of my songs to be seen through that.  Then all of the songs would show up in my music library folder.
    Monday, August 16, 2010 5:46 PM