my laptop is copy of xp only. how can i buy a genuine key or validation key to be able to change into genuine OS. is it possible not to reformat my laptop just buy a genuine key? RRS feed

• Question

• i pay one of our IT in school to format my laptop coz it's crash. he convince me to downgrade it into XP2, and said that it will double the speed than the previous OS  basic Vista. so i said yes,  and in a couple days he gave me back my Laptop and he told me not to validate it coz it's not a genuine XP. do you think is it possible for me to buy a genuine key? and install it without reformating my laptop? what shall i do? please help me? thank you very much?
    Saturday, June 12, 2010 8:10 PM

Answers

• Assuming that you have a non-genuine copy of Windows XP installed, please visit  Genuine Microsoft Advantage and click on Validate Windows.  When validation fails, click on the Get Genuine button to learn how to acquire a WGA Kit.  Once you receive your new genuine Windows XP product key, use the  Windows Product Key Update Tool to imput the new one.

Carey Frisch
    Saturday, June 12, 2010 8:22 PM

All replies

• Assuming that you have a non-genuine copy of Windows XP installed, please visit  Genuine Microsoft Advantage and click on Validate Windows.  When validation fails, click on the Get Genuine button to learn how to acquire a WGA Kit.  Once you receive your new genuine Windows XP product key, use the  Windows Product Key Update Tool to imput the new one.

Carey Frisch
    Saturday, June 12, 2010 8:22 PM
  • "bobby777" wrote in message news:7f74f769-3224-4f25-ad08-902b45a6a092...
    i pay one of our IT in school to format my laptop coz it's crash. he convince me to downgrade it into XP2, and said that it will double the speed than the previous OS  basic Vista. so i said yes,  and in a couple days he gave me back my Laptop and he told me not to validate it coz it's not a genuine XP. do you think is it possible for me to buy a genuine key? and install it without reformating my laptop? what shall i do? please help me? thank you very much?

Just the kind of person I would want to work at my school or place of business. The IT BOZO should be fired.  I wonder how much illegal software is installed at that school.

Carey gave the proper information for getting XP legal but I would just have put the legal Vista back on the machine.
    Sunday, June 13, 2010 3:43 AM