Change some things, now loads of things going wrong. RRS feed

• Question

• I've changed a number of things on my WHS 2011 recently and now I'm getting a number of errors and things not working quite right.  I don't know if they are all connected or if it's just one thing I've done wrong...  advice gratefully received.

Things I've Changed Recently

• Changed my router (one netgear for another and the setup was flawless, it's working fine for every other computer)
        • Add a 3TB USB External Hard Drive to be my servers' new backup destination
        • Mirrored my 2 2TB Data Drives (one was empty and the Server Folders was on the other)
        • Removed the Certificate Authority role, then reinstalled it (I can't remember why I did this but it messed up loads of things like user accounts disappearing) - well I did a system state restore to the last good backup and it's all running again now
        • Deleted a volume from DISK0 and extended the system partition into that space (DISK0 was in 3 parts, now it's just 2 parts)

Problems Now

1. Server backup will not complete at all because of no space... but there is loads!
    2. Some services don't start although I think I've sorted that by clearing the backup log and restarting the services via the alerts
    3. Can't get rid of the 100mb partition on DISK0 because it's marked as system so delete volume won't work, but it has a lack of space (4mb left) but what is it?  I've given it a drive letter but it's empty? 

I've grabbed some screens that may help...

Any idea welcome, many thanks

• Edited by Dwain Pipe Thursday, October 11, 2012 10:56 PM
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 10:56 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I suggest that you need to run Windows Server Solutions Best Practices Analyzer 1.0 to have a general health check on your Windows Home Server, you could download it from the link below:

Title: Windows Server Solutions Best Practices Analyzer 1.0

URL: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15556

Then you need to look into the Event Viewer to verify whether there are some backup related errors or warnings included or not.

Event Viewer --> Applications and Services --> Microsoft --> Windows --> Backup

Also I would like to share the backup best parctice on WHS 2011:

Title: Backup best practices

URL: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/backup-best-practices-2.aspx

Regards,

James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Friday, October 12, 2012 5:56 AM
  • Hi James, thanks for coming back to me.

I've tried to run the Windows Server Solutions Best Practices Analyzer 1.0 but it essentially says that it's not for WHS 2011.  Is there some way to force it to install?

The event viewer is saying the same thing everytime...

Basically out of space so can't do the shadow copy, but I've got the space!

Friday, October 12, 2012 1:29 PM
  • You have multiple issues, probably related to the changes you made to your server. I would honestly consider flattening the server and starting from scratch. When you do so, I wouldn't:

• mirror the data drive
    • remove the third partition from the system disk and extend the system partition
    • remove and reinstall the CA role.

I would also not use a 3 TB drive for a backup destination because Windows Home Server 2011 is incapable of backing up more than 2 TB of data in a single operation. Normally, when you add a drive larger than that and designate it for server backups, Windows Home Server partitions the disk using an MBR style partition table, carves off a 2 TB chunk (all MBR will normally permit) and leaves the rest unallocated (because it's unreachable since the disk is MBR). The fact that you've got a full 3 TB shown makes me think that you:

• converted the disk to GPT and extended the partition to fill the backup disk, or
    • the disk came that way.

Making changes to the configuration of a backup disk can cause problems with backups.

For your final question, the Windows Server Solutions Best Practices Analyser is inapplicable to Windows Home Server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Friday, October 12, 2012 2:27 PM
  • Hi Ken,

Thanks for the reply.  I'm starting to think a fresh install on the Systems Drive is the way to go as well.

I got the 3TB external as the best practice says your backup target should be 1.5 times the size of your source drive, hence the 3TB drive to back up the 2TB drives that I've mirrored.

After try a couple of external drives as my backup target and them not working I did some digging... I found about the 512k physical sector size issue, so needed a drive with that capability.  The WD My Book is compatible once set to 'factory default' using the WD specific utility.  Once the physical sector was set to 512k, I plugged it in and WHS2011 saw all of it immediately.  I didn't plug it in before I'd done the 'factory default' setting, as I'd already tried 2 drives.

I think the CA was about trying to get the FTP server access to work, which I don't need now as I've got the web access working successfully.

Just before I format the C: and reinstall...  any other suggestions from anyone?

Saturday, October 13, 2012 3:57 PM