none
Can not work today at all!!!! RRS feed

• Question

• Every time I click on 'My Threads' today I get 'Internal Server Error'. I got 3 'Unexpected Error' also today trying to answer in last 2 threads I've answered.

'My Threads' is the mostly used link (for me). If I can not click on it, I can not really do anything.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Monday, November 26, 2012 4:22 PM

Answers

All replies

• Primary use for me as well but working no problems here. IE9 Windows 7. Maybe clear cache?

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Monday, November 26, 2012 4:25 PM
  • I like using Chrome, but I'll switch now to IE.

Thanks.

My blog

Monday, November 26, 2012 4:36 PM
  • My Threads seem to work Ok in IE, but I got 2 unexpected errors already in IE answering in this thread

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/transactsql/thread/d73ff044-89cc-45f7-9520-0de9f15a4117

My blog

Monday, November 26, 2012 4:45 PM
  • I get them too. Seems an ongoing issue.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Monday, November 26, 2012 4:48 PM
  • Sorry, I thought the problem was fixed with switching to IE, but I just got another same error in IE as well. I have 2 tabs opened in IE - one answering in the thread (got a few Unexpected Errors) and another with 'My Threads'. While I was submitting a post in one tab, I decided to check my threads in another and got 'Internal Error' in one and 'Unexpected Error' in another.

Got both of these errors again right now :((((

And again trying to post :(

My blog

Monday, November 26, 2012 5:04 PM
  • Now even 'My Forums' started to give me the same 'Internal Server Error' error :(

My blog

Monday, November 26, 2012 8:45 PM
  • Now even 'My Forums' started to give me the same 'Internal Server Error' error

Have you tried tracing?   I had one related instance which tracing showed to be an unexpected login and redirect.  I usually check the box which says to stay signed in, so automatic login and redirect is not unexpected but seeing it happen when I thought I was already signed in, was.   And the error symptom from that when the redirect failed was unusual.   (I can't remember exactly but I think it was the completely empty message window case.)

BTW the "Internal Server Error" symptom is one that often goes away if you switch temporarily to using  InPrivate Browsing  mode  (Ctrl-Shift-P)   or whatever the equivalent Chrome procedure is--implying some kind of problem with Cookies but then FWIW I would be surprised seeing the same symptom from different browsers (since I assume they don't share Cookies caches--but if they do that would explain something about your symptom too I guess.  <w>)

HTH

Robert
    ---

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 8:38 PM
  • I haven't tried tracing. Can you tell me exactly what do I need to do (step by step for simple minded users) in case this problem will return (as right now everything seems to be OK)?

I'm using Chrome right now.

My blog

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 8:40 PM
  • Can you tell me exactly what do I need to do

In IE it's just start Developer Tools, Network tab, Start Capture...  (F12, Ctrl-Backtab, F5)

You'll have to find out what Chrome does in this regard on your own.   <eg>

---

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 12:28 AM
  • Hmm, I thought you'll provide me with the steps for Chrome as well... :) I am not using IE a lot, I prefer Chrome.

My blog

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 12:35 AM
  • The bad performance returned :( I had 2 unexpected errors right now trying to post messages. I am going to try to switch to IE and use the steps you suggested.

My blog

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 3:36 PM
  • Right now it's OK again. BTW, I was using these development tools and saw lots of traffic, but eventually it crashed on 'Achievements missing' thread.

My blog

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 5:05 PM
  • We are still investigating this. Sorry that it is not a simple fix.
    Wednesday, November 28, 2012 11:06 PM
  • I am getting a lot of Internal Server Error again when I am trying to access 'My Threads'. Once again, I seem to have lots of problems and I can not really work with forums - it takes lots of time to do simple things. Do you know how long will it take before you will fix the problem?

Thanks in advance.

------------

Update. After spinning circle for ~25 seconds I got 'Unexpected Error'. I am using IE 9 right now, re-trying Submit button again.

My blog

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 1:17 PM
  • Take a look at this thread http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/transactsql/thread/73ec8402-c7c4-4a5b-bd80-d5e2a0c10054

It took me 8 attempts and about 4+ minutes before I was able to finally submit my reply :(

I was using IE 9 at that moment, right now I switched back to Chrome (left IE forum opened).

May be I should try installing IE 10? Is it already released to manufacturers? Is it better than IE 9 and should I expect better response if I switch?

What do you think?

Thanks in advance.

UPDATE. I closed IE now as I see it returned another 'Internal Server error'.

My blog

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 1:52 PM
  • May be I should try installing IE 10? Is it already released to manufacturers? Is it better than IE 9 and should I expect better response if I switch?

It is in Beta on W7 and IMO is not worth changing to if you are looking for performance improvement, plus there are new bugs to endure.

However, something just occurred to me that you probably should try changing to see if it affects the frequency of your symptom:   ReceiveTimeout 

Ignore the title.   Note that though it refers to IE the value affects all Windows Internet applications, not just IE.

HTH

Robert
    ---

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 4:08 PM
  • This one does not list IE 9.0 or Chrome (the one I am using). Do you think it's still worth a try?

BTW, again my answer didn't get history here

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/transactsql/thread/fdbcabb6-2f82-4123-8ddc-7a3189d7adec

So, I suspect that this is not only my problem? In other words, why do my answers don't get history? Something extra is in play for my profile.

(Right now I am posting from Chrome and got the error - not surprising) :( Also, this error steals focus back to Chrome while I was already trying to do something else...

My blog

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 4:37 PM
  • See this - is it normal???????????

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/transactsql/thread/e9794365-ec88-4c09-a778-23fe9bb3c061

My blog

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 5:00 PM
  • This one does not list IE 9.0 or Chrome (the one I am using). Do you think it's still worth a try?

Yes.   As I indicated, it is a Windows setting for Internet applications, not just for IE.

Notice that the registry key involved says nothing particular about IE:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings

I think that you may have more than one problem symptom but if you have a value here which could be aborting transactions (or connectivity which would warrant a change from the default) it could be causing other unexpected and unhandled conditions in web applications.    ;  )

Ha.   I'm on  W8  and just had to add that value myself.   I.e., saw Unexpected Error when I first tried to Submit this.   So, if this goes we will know that doing it under IE10 on W8 can't hurt.   <eg>

HTH

Robert
    ---

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 8:03 PM
  • So, can you confirm that this setting fixed the issue for you?

My blog

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 8:27 PM
  • So, can you confirm that this setting fixed the issue for you?

No.   Just that it doesn't hurt and by setting it to 8 minutes it proves that there is some other timeout involved.   For example, when I next posted I counted to about 30 before the Unexpected Error showed.   Where is that timeout set and how can we adjust it?   I suspect knowing that and changing it appropriately would significantly reduce the frequency of these problem symptoms.  Also, why is that on retry it is so much faster?   Almost like the first try is setting up a path for the retry to use?  Strangely though, I can't retry immediately; doing that typically results in immediate failure; so usually when I get an error (both here and on Answers) I first clone the thread in its own tab, just to verify that it is still in the same state that I was trying to respond to it, then either go back and retry or paste my response in the clone.  I also often just go away for a while and start a new response in another thread and then come back to the problem one.  Doing that seems to minimize the amount of disruption of any one error incident.

Robert
    ---

EDIT:  Saw another instance of lack of scrolling here.  I.e. the reply worked but was only showing me the OP, the thread scrolled to the top and not repositioning to confirm my response had been received.   Usually when this sort of usability deficiency happens I have blamed it on the stupid scrolling rules that the Preview page obviously has but in this case I was in a single thread tab and responding to the last post, so I can think of no justification for not scrolling to the bottom to show me that my response had been received (and not mangled by the forum software.)

EDIT:  Heh.  And while trying to post the first Edit I got an Unexpected Error (so unexpected that I forgot to count how long it took.)  It happened after I had been waiting with the thread scrolled to the top, with no sign of activity in the browser, and while I was slowly spinning my way down to the bottom.   I'll try again...

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 5:53 PM
  • When I am about to add DWord value I have two options - 32 bit and 64 bit. Which DWORD should I chose to add that new key?

Also, in Google Chrome or IE I am unable right now to access my threads. I went to FireFox and was able to access them from it although I was not signed in in FireFox. But I still saw my threads correctly (e.g. what I already saw was in normal font and not yet seen in italic).

BTW, got 'Unexpected Error' in FireFox too now :( Today I am getting it every time, but in my forums (Transact SQL) I get it multiple times. In this forum (hopefully) only once.

My blog

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 7:05 PM
  • Which DWORD should I chose to add that new key?

DWord is 32-bits.  (64-bit value is called a QWord.)
    Wednesday, December 5, 2012 8:13 PM
  • Yes, you're right, thanks.

My blog

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 10:27 PM