none
When moving post starting from Dutch localized forum page only one possible Microsoft forum is listed RRS feed

Answers

• The mistake is visiting the localized version. Once you do this the software assumes (for languages with lots of forums like French; German; or Spanish (perhaps not Dutch) this is a reasonable assumption) you only want to see forums in that language.

I had this when I was in The Canaries and using the hotel's PC set to Spanish. It was annoying until I realised that there is a button near the top of the screen (*) that allows you to specify that you want English. Then the forums listed are all the English ones for that set of forums (techNet; or MSDN  or...)

Mike Walsh

(*) At the top-right of the screen when in a forum. When set to US English this reads "United States (English) X Sign Out" - where I write here X there is a downward arrow. Click that and you get a list of languages. The language changes to something else but the post stays open. A Move will now move to one of a selection of forums in that language.

In my opinion because this is a (reasonable) design decision for those  languages with lots of own-language forums and I doubt if they can make exceptions for Dutch. Most of you guys speak several languages in any case so could theoretically want to see not only English language forums but also French; German (and Dutch)!) at least. I doubt if any general design can cope with that.

2010 Books: SPF 2010; SPS 2010; SPD 2010; InfoPath 2010; Workflow etc.
    2007 Books: WSS 3.0; MOSS 2007; SPD 2007; InfoPath 2007; PerformancePoint; SSRS; Workflow
    Both lists also include books in French; German; Spanish with even more languages in the 2007 list.
    Friday, June 4, 2010 4:11 AM

All replies

• The mistake is visiting the localized version. Once you do this the software assumes (for languages with lots of forums like French; German; or Spanish (perhaps not Dutch) this is a reasonable assumption) you only want to see forums in that language.

I had this when I was in The Canaries and using the hotel's PC set to Spanish. It was annoying until I realised that there is a button near the top of the screen (*) that allows you to specify that you want English. Then the forums listed are all the English ones for that set of forums (techNet; or MSDN  or...)

Mike Walsh

(*) At the top-right of the screen when in a forum. When set to US English this reads "United States (English) X Sign Out" - where I write here X there is a downward arrow. Click that and you get a list of languages. The language changes to something else but the post stays open. A Move will now move to one of a selection of forums in that language.

In my opinion because this is a (reasonable) design decision for those  languages with lots of own-language forums and I doubt if they can make exceptions for Dutch. Most of you guys speak several languages in any case so could theoretically want to see not only English language forums but also French; German (and Dutch)!) at least. I doubt if any general design can cope with that.

2007 Books: WSS 3.0; MOSS 2007; SPD 2007; InfoPath 2007; PerformancePoint; SSRS; Workflow
    Both lists also include books in French; German; Spanish with even more languages in the 2007 list.
    Friday, June 4, 2010 4:11 AM
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks for responding. I know how to get English version of the forums, however on my system I need localisation set to Dutch. Whenever I get to a forums page from a web search it get's me automatically to the localized version. This happens very often because ever since the home server forums were moved to the Technet forums more than a year ago the forums search function no longer works. Personally I think this is very annoying, and shouldn't be necessary.

Friday, June 4, 2010 6:04 AM
  • > Whenever I get to a forums page from a web search it get's me automatically to the localized version. 

I get equally annoyed (or perhaps even more annoyed!) when searches give me articles in Finnish, so I sympathize.

However, isn't this a different question? Your original post asked how to be able to move a post to a list of forums in a different language.

Mike

Friday, June 4, 2010 6:48 AM