Installation help with WHS on Iomega NAS 400r RRS feed

• Question

• I have an older Iomega NAS 400r with 4 x 400GB SATA drives installed that I want to try and use as a WHS.  The NAS has a Adaptec HostRAID-8130 embedded controller.  Installing from external USB Toshiba DVD drive.

I have deleted any existing RAID from the drives (I know WHS does not support RAID) and am trying to install onto the 1st drive and will add the other 3 later.  I have been unsuccessful in getting the installation to detect ANY hard drives or I get the "Unable to initialize the UI subsystem" error and it reboots.

Anyone have any sggestions?

Saturday, July 31, 2010 4:11 PM

All replies

• I have an older Iomega NAS 400r with 4 x 400GB SATA drives installed that I want to try and use as a WHS.  The NAS has a Adaptec HostRAID-8130 embedded controller.  Installing from external USB Toshiba DVD drive.

I have deleted any existing RAID from the drives (I know WHS does not support RAID) and am trying to install onto the 1st drive and will add the other 3 later.  I have been unsuccessful in getting the installation to detect ANY hard drives or I get the "Unable to initialize the UI subsystem" error and it reboots.

Anyone have any sggestions?

WHS doesn't have the drivers for SATA drives.  You need to either A) load the drivers manually or B) change it so that the hardware presents the drives as PATA (IDE) drives.
    Saturday, July 31, 2010 6:24 PM