MSDN Product Keys failing RRS feed

• Question

• I work in the IT Department for a company that carries about 30 MSDN licenses.  We have a little of each of the different licenses (OS, Pro, Ent & Univ).  We have a QA Department that has to do a lot of testing on a variety of systems and different system configurations (XP Pro w/ no SP, XP Pro w/ SP1, XP Pro w/ SP2).  We use Norton Ghost to create an image on one partition, ghost it to the other partition and restore everytime a new update comes back from our customer.  Sometimes, these systems will sit around for a few months without being used.  They'll get filtered back into the IT Department pool of computers, wiped out of all data, passed on to the next user and eventually back to the IT Department.  Recently, when I've been reloading some of these systems for use in the QA Department I've been getting WGA errors reporting I've activated too many times.  Well, of course I've activated them a lot since I'll load XP Pro 3 times onto just one PC and I only use one product key for all 3 installations.  There are weeks where I'll have to load as many as 20 XP Pro installations.  I'm not about to purchase more very expensive MSDN licenses but the QA Department can't do their jobs without a fully updated operating system to test against.

What can I do to get around this error?

-Matt

Thursday, May 18, 2006 6:30 PM

Answers

• Matt:

I would suggest creating a free WGA support case here, so we can get more details and help fix your machine:

http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&c1=509&gprid=9860&

They will be able to look into your company's MSDN purchase details and provide you with an alternative solution. Also, I have a few team members looking at this directly (but it will take a bit before we can figure something out, as we don't have access to the MSDN licenses information, due to privacy concerns).

-Phil Liu

Thursday, May 18, 2006 7:08 PM

All replies

• Matt:

For activating too many times, I would try telephone activation (there should be an option in your activation wizard). I understand this may not be a viable long-term option for you, especially since you're doing ~20 activations at a time. I would suggest purchasing a corporate Volume Licensing agreement (for 20 or so copies of Windows) to avoid this, since Volume Licensing has different EULA agreements. :)

I hope this helps,

-Phil Liu

Thursday, May 18, 2006 6:43 PM
  • MSDN Subscriber Support:  

http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/support/

"MSDN Subscription product keys can be used to activate up to 10 PCs"

MSDN Frequently Asked Questions http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/faq/#licensing
    Thursday, May 18, 2006 6:55 PM
  • Phil,

Thanks for getting back to me quickly.  When I do the installations on these systems, I'll typically activate during the installation, not from the desktop tool.  Everytime it passes activation and does not require me to call the phone number.  I've had to do that in the past and as much of an inconvience as it is, normally gets me going for another 10 or so installations.  But lately, even though the installation passes activation it does not pass WGA and does not offer a phone number to call.  One of the options was to come to this website.  Below is the cut/paste from the WGA Diag Tool.

I don't feel as if my company should have to purchase more license just to prove that our original license is valid and that we're using it within the limits of the EULA we agreed to during the purchase of the products.  Because MSDN OS licenses are deemed upgrade only license to begin with, all of these machines have already been purchased with an OEM, FPP or OBL license.  You've suggested above that I purchase yet a third license which I find completely unacceptable.

Please help me find the correct solution to this problem and help my company work efficiently once again.

-Matt

WGA Diagnostic Data (1.5.0526.1):
    --------------------
    Genuine Validation Status: Activation count exceeded
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-GPYBF-66229-W8BCG
    Windows Product Key Hash: 9dZxtVKqJOccByrhDCLMPtXHPr0=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-337-4453903-22723
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.1.0.pro
    Download Center code: Q4TV3HC
    ID: f9e05632-4d1c-42dd-8e7a-68d615737313
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial:
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.512.0.
    Signature Type: Microsoft.
    Validation Diagnostic: 63BB5E84-802-80004005_E2AD56EA-111-b024_E2AD56EA-112-0_BB5C1257-47-80004005_BB5C1257-52-80040202_78155E4D-225-80040202

Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Office Status: 109
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-467-80070002

Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control:
    Active scripting:
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting:

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>f9e05632-4d1c-42dd-8e7a-68d615737313</UGUID><Version>1.5.0526.1</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.1.0.pro</OS><PID>55274-337-4453903-22723</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-343818398-1123561945-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>System Manufacturer</Manufacturer><Model>System Name</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Award Software, Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>ASUS P4B ACPI BIOS Revision 1012</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20020821******.******+***</Date></BIOS><HWID>27000101020101000102010100F5CB3344BF40D62843DF8A26027A73F4A32AC82DC2EF00000000</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Thursday, May 18, 2006 7:01 PM
  • Matt:

I would suggest creating a free WGA support case here, so we can get more details and help fix your machine:

http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&c1=509&gprid=9860&

They will be able to look into your company's MSDN purchase details and provide you with an alternative solution. Also, I have a few team members looking at this directly (but it will take a bit before we can figure something out, as we don't have access to the MSDN licenses information, due to privacy concerns).

-Phil Liu

Thursday, May 18, 2006 7:08 PM
  • Leroy,

Thanks for the response although you left out a few of the lines directly following that quote as well as our interpretations of that quote could be taken differently as it is quite vague.

For the difference in interpretation, I take that as meaning I can only use a product key on up to 10 PCs at the same time.  If I have an 11th PC that I need to install that product on, then I'd be breaking the agreement of the license.  But if I take the 10th PC, uninstall the software, I should be able to reinstall it and still be covered by the license. 

What if I reinstall software frequently, do I need to activate the software each time?

We understand that MSDN subscribers have unique needs, so we have included special activation privileges for MSDN subscribers.

• MSDN Subscription product keys can be used to activate up to 10 PCs.
    • Although you must go through the activation process each time you reinstall on the same PC, your total number of activations will not be decremented.
    • For Windows, MSDN subscribers have a 60-day grace period before the product must be activated. If you will be reinstalling the software in less than 60 days, you do not need to activate it. Please note that Windows Update and Windows Genuine Advantage require that the installation be activated.
    • For Office 2003, MSDN subscribers have 50 launches before the product must be activated.
    • Software may be reinstalled on the same machine as many times as needed without reactivating it. However, if the hard disk is reformatted prior to reinstallation, reactivation may be required however the total number of activations will not be decremented.

According to bullet 2 above, I should be able to activate as many times as I want with an MSDN product key as long as I abide by bullet 1 and only have the software installed on up to 10 PCs at a time.

I realize there is a grace period before activation is required but in order to have a fully updated/patched system for testing purposes, it has to be activated.

-Matt

Thursday, May 18, 2006 7:14 PM